Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Sports Guy... Pruning Crape Myrtles

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hey Sports Guy... Pruning Crape Myrtles

Gotta a question. I was told in the sprong time that I should've pruned my Crape Myrtle in the fall time, around November. I was just curious about when exactly and how to prune it. I had a scare, I didn't think the thing was coming back after the winter but it came back in full force and grew a good 3 feet in the process. I just want to make sure that I take to proper care of it. Looks really nice in the middle of the front yard
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 33

Thanks .... Kipper old buddy... I'll get back to you on trees and stuff.
    Working on my Signature viewing problem ...

Photo showed up and then not there ... It said, the message was too short... I was short by on character... That's not fair for this "Italian Stallion"...

Thanks old buddy...

I think... I found a "new sport"...."where should my avatar go" ???

Threads : 30

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta a question. I was told in the spring time that I should've pruned my Crape Myrtle in the fall time, around November. I was just curious about when exactly and how to prune it. I had a scare, I didn't think the thing was coming back after the winter but it came back in full force and grew a good 3 feet in the process. I just want to make sure that I take to proper care of it. Looks really nice in the middle of the front yard
    Kipper,
    Ole green thumb Dom will take care of ya there
    Meanwhile I did a search and I'm changing my front yard somewhat ... My son is closing in the porch and come Spring, I'll need to put in concrete walks.
    I have some ideas on stone - etcetra, but plants "undecided" I've never tried Crape Myrtle.
    What kind would be best for my area of S.Western PA?
    ______So many different kinds I see here!!!!

http://www.crapemyrtles.com/

According to YAHOO! statistics this is the most popular
    "crape myrtle" page anywhere.
    It gets visitors from all over the world every single day.
    Therefore it requires a lot of upkeep and tender loving care.
    We like you to meet our Webmaster, shown exercising above.
    In order to keep this web site looking great he believes in staying in shape.
    Did you know Crape Myrtles can be grown in all 50 states and most foreign countries?

In the last 5 years there were over 2 dozen new Varieties of Crape Myrtle Trees, Dwarf Crepes and Miniature Crapes introduced into the United States from Major Breeding and Hybridization Programs in Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, California, North Carolina, and Washington,DC.

They can be grown as 40' Trees or novelty 8" Miniatures and varieties are cold hardy to -15F below zero and even colder!

In Canada and far Northern States, the New Miniatures can be grown in pots or hanging baskets during the Spring, Summer, and Fall then, in December, moved to a sunny window or basement to overwinter.

How many plants did you plant this summer that died at the end of summer or with the 1st frost? Not Crape Myrtles, they're woody perennials that come back year after year and crape myrtles bloom from early May to late October.

Crape Myrtles are not related to the Myrtle Plants many of you are familiar with. The "Myrtle Plant" usually refers to a Groundcover Plant.

Crape Myrtles refer to Woody, Perennial Trees, Shrubs and Miniatures that are commonly seen from Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey moving south across Tennessee, Kentucky, and the Carolinas, continuing to Florida, and all the way across the United States to Texas, California, Oklahoma and as far north as Oregon and Washington State.

The Crape Myrtle is one of the most versatile plants you can grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Gotta a question. I was told in the spring time that I should've pruned my Crape Myrtle in the fall time, around November. I was just curious about when exactly and how to prune it. I had a scare, I didn't think the thing was coming back after the winter but it came back in full force and grew a good 3 feet in the process. I just want to make sure that I take proper care of it. Looks really nice in the middle of the front yard
    It will be fine... Crape Myrtle is a little difficult in zones 5 to 7.... I have some photos of blooming Crapes in Texas... Dallas area that my son sent to me. I'll check my file and post as an attachment.

Stay warm old buddy...
    But, this avatar should be transplanted to my left.

Default Sharing photos of your Garden helps

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    It will be fine... Crape Myrtle is a little difficult in zones 5 to 7.... I have some photos of blooming Crapes in Texas... Dallas area that my son sent to me. I'll check my file and post as an attachment.

Stay warm old buddy...
    But, this avatar should be transplanted to my left.
    Love that thumbnail process!!!

Showing photos of your garden helps... more than getting too technical... like this Lady in Texas showing off a little... attachedment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GardenTour2Lady.jpg  
    Last edited by Sports Guy; Oct-13-2009 at 11:09 AM.

That's no lady it's my daughter in-law.. left avatar off.
    Last edited by Sports Guy; Oct-13-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Default A gift for Lady Gardeners..

That's no lady it's my daughter in-law.. left avatar off.
    Hey guys you want to please the Lady Gardener of the house... get her one these heated Cold Frames... You can start seedlings, have hanging pots going and more. A great place to put on the ball game drink beer and "garden".... Mary always knew where I was. Right here. As an attachment thumbnail.... I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GardenTour10.jpg  

Well, well, well,,,, you finally got that Avatar transplanted in the right places... Good job helping the old man ... thanks.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kip from research I have done and from word of mouth by others who have experience in the myrtles, and after many years, you can virtually cut them back...anytime...any amount...and they will survive and grow back. As a matter of fact I have heard stories of people trying to rid themselves of them...only for them to grow back year after year, even after digging up the stump. I have several and cut them back anytime I need to, only for them to reflourish. It is a job in itself just to keep the little suckers popping out at the ground cut back. I have seen 7 foot plants get cut down to 3 feet, only to grow wonderfully again next year. Hope this is some help. It may not be advice you'll get from a professional...but it is fact from experience.

Default Is this a family thread or not?

Let's keep this thread that will have a variety of family members of all ages visit...

Let's not show the crap... please...

Let's keep this thread that will have a variety of family members of all ages visit...

Let's not show the crap... please...

No crap was shown

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    Kip from research I have done and from word of mouth by others who have experience in the myrtles, and after many years, you can virtually cut them back...anytime...any amount...and they will survive and grow back. As a matter of fact I have heard stories of people trying to rid themselves of them...only for them to grow back year after year, even after digging up the stump. I have several and cut them back anytime I need to, only for them to reflourish. It is a job in itself just to keep the little suckers popping out at the ground cut back. I have seen 7 foot plants get cut down to 3 feet, only to grow wonderfully again next year. Hope this is some help. It may not be advice you'll get from a professional...but it is fact from experience.
    Yeah, I think it was ranrod who told me in april that I needed to prune them in November What happened to me is that I had bought a tree version and when it was time for the crape tio bloom and stuff, the tree that i had planted remained dead and new sprouts shot up all over the place from the root. It looks nice and full and grew a little more than it was when I had planted the tree. I just wanted to force my existing growth to come back next year and get taller, not start over again from the root. So I'm not sure if there's a specific amount to prune off, if it works like roses or lilacs where you can mess up the flowering...lol.

I did read somewhere last year about pruning it like an umbrella or something but not sure

Threads : 30

Put on a Search ______ NOTE

When a crape myrtle is pruned properly:

1. It will produce twice the number of branches and therefore twice the number blooms as it did during the previous year.
    2. The new branches will be strong enough to support blooms.

The Time To Prune Crape Myrtles
    Wrong-season pruning would mean November and December. Don't let "peer pressure" by neighbors and commercial gardening crews get to you. If you trim the crapes in the last two months of the year, and we get a warming trend in January or February, the trees might actually start putting on new growth. That new growth will be highly susceptible to freezing weather should it come on the heals of a warm spell. New growth will also tend to draw the cold right into the plant, causing needless damage to a tree that should be resting in dormancy.

So, the best time to trim crapes in is late winter or early spring - just prior to new growth emerging. For years, we've suggested this as a great time to trim them, because at that time we're also trimming back our roses and many other plants and trees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information