Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 Man Roster

Threads : 197

Default 25 Man Roster

Based on everything that's been said the last few days there doesn't seem to be much competition this spring. Clint Hurdle actually announced Wednesday that NRIs Joe Beimel and Jose Veras would get bullpen jobs (which was expected). Here's what it looks like right now:

STARTERS:
    1. Paul Maholm
    2. Ross Ohlendorf
    3. James McDonald
    4. Kevin Correia
    5. Charlie Morton vs. Scott Olsen

RELIEVERS:
    6. Joel Hanrahan (Closer)
    7. Evan Meek (Set up)
    8. Joe Beimel (7th/8th inning lefty)
    9. Jose Veras (6th/7th inning righty)
    10. Chris Resop
    11. Jeff Karstens (swing man)
    12. Charlie Morton/Scott Olsen vs. Justin Thomas/Brian Burres/Fernando Nieve/Kevin Hart/Jose Ascanio/Tyler Yates/Daniel McCutchen/Aaron Thompson/Chris Leroux/Sean Gallagher

CATCHERS:
    13. Chris Snyder
    14. Ryan Doumit

INFIELDERS:
    15. Lyle Overbay
    16. Neil Walker
    17. Pedro Alvarez
    18. Ronny Cedeno

OUTFIELDERS:
    19. Jose Tabata
    20. Andrew McCutchen
    21. Garrett Jones
    22. Matt Diaz

BENCH:
    23. Josh Rodriguez vs. Corey Wimberly vs. Pedro Ciriaco (Middle IF)
    24. Garrett Atkins vs. Josh Fields vs. Andy Marte vs. Steve Pearce (RH Corner IF)
    25. John Bowker vs. Alex Presley vs. Jason Jaramillo vs. Corey Wimberly (OF/C/UTIL)

With those bench spots it's possible they could mix and match, but I think it really breaks down to those groups. Someone from the first group is going to be needed to back up shortstop. Josh Rodriguez is the favorite because the team has shown that they like to at least give the Rule 5 guys a shot the last few years. I assume they want to have one of those right handed bats to play first and third (though Pearce can't really play third), then they'll have to settle on the 5th OF. Jaramillo is in the mix in case they plan to use Doumit in the OF. Everyone is reluctant to use the backup C as a pinch hitter or at another position, and the Pirates have suggested 3 catchers is a possibility, though I'm not sure it's very likely. Wimberly is in the mix there as a wild card. Hurdle has indicated that "in an ideal world" they would have a guy on the bench with "game changing speed" to run in late game situations. Wimberly could be that guy and he also has the flexibility to stay in defensively at just about any position. I don't know that this scenario is particularly likely either, but it's a possibility.

On that 5th starter spot I guess Brad Lincoln and Jeff Karstens are kind of in the running, but the team has made it pretty clear that they would like to go with Morton or Olsen. Brad Lincoln looks like a lock to start the season in AAA, and I think they like Karstens in the bullpen. Olsen pulled a hamstring yesterday and has been shut down for a week. That may push Morton ahead and Olsen towards the bullpen mix.

The out of options players on the bubble are Charlie Morton, Kevin Hart, Jose Ascanio, and John Bowker. Hart may start the season on the DL, but it looks like Ascanio could be looking at a DFA if he's not able to push someone else out. Ascanio's visa issues delayed his arrival until today, so he likely starts out behind. Even though he's barely pitched in the last year, he's the kind of arm someone will probably take a chance on. Josh Rodriguez is a Rule 5er and would have to pass through waivers then be offered back to the Indians if he doesn't make the team.
    Last edited by jnn123; Mar-12-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Threads : 35

Default Re: 25 Man Roster

Well done, jnn. We've probably heard most of this before but it is great to have it tied together so neatly. Thanks.

Threads : 138

Excellent roundup jnn. Thanks.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for presenting a clear picture in Bradenton.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks good to me.

Threads : 277

So, I can go back to watching college basketball or "curling" until April?????

Garrett Atkins sounds like the early favorite to make the team as a RH 1B/3B. He filled in for Alvarez at third today while Alvarez was out with neck spasms, and has also gotten work at first with some of the starters out there.

They also seem to like Wimberly more than you might think. I could see him making the team.

Threads : 5

Nice write up! Thanks for the info very excited about the season to get started.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Excellent!! Easy to understand too.

Threads : 1817

Awesome Round up, Jnn.

Question, How long did we carry our Rule 5'er last year? I agree with you that the Pirates like to give that guy a chance and carry him on the roster. SP/BP looks dead on.

I heard that they were pretty high on Alex Presley but he might be more beneficial to play more in AAA that be a bench guy at the MLB level? I guess that's another thing to look at as well with these big position battles for backups. Which guys they think a little more highly off, could goto Indianapolis to get more work and the next level guys down, the ones view really more as bench options sticking?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question, How long did we carry our Rule 5'er last year? I agree with you that the Pirates like to give that guy a chance and carry him on the roster. SP/BP looks dead on.
    John Raynor was on the roster until April 27. They had to let him go to bring up Jeff Karstens (who had started the year in Indy on a minor league deal). They were briefly forced to carry 13 pitchers due to minor injuries and general terrible performances. Steve Pearce likely would have claimed that spot fairly soon after that anyway. Raynor wasn't even getting onto the field. That issue isn't likely to come up with Rodriguez this year. If he makes the team it will be as the primary infield backup. They aren't likely to carry anyone else who can play in the middle if he makes the team. If they let him go it will have to be to bring someone up to replace him.

I heard that they were pretty high on Alex Presley but he might be more beneficial to play more in AAA that be a bench guy at the MLB level? I guess that's another thing to look at as well with these big position battles for backups. Which guys they think a little more highly off, could goto Indianapolis to get more work and the next level guys down, the ones view really more as bench options sticking?
    Huntington brought up Presley at Piratefest for a minute. That's basically what he said. Sort of implied that right now they view him as an extra outfielder long term and he could make the team in that role. If he shows them that he has the potential to be more than that they'll likely send him to Indy to continue to work on things. I don't really think there are other players in that same boat, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    John Raynor was on the roster until April 27. They had to let him go to bring up Jeff Karstens (who had started the year in Indy on a minor league deal). They were briefly forced to carry 13 pitchers due to minor injuries and general terrible performances. Steve Pearce likely would have claimed that spot fairly soon after that anyway. Raynor wasn't even getting onto the field. That issue isn't likely to come up with Rodriguez this year. If he makes the team it will be as the primary infield backup. They aren't likely to carry anyone else who can play in the middle if he makes the team. If they let him go it will have to be to bring someone up to replace him.

Huntington brought up Presley at Piratefest for a minute. That's basically what he said. Sort of implied that right now they view him as an extra outfielder long term and he could make the team in that role. If he shows them that he has the potential to be more than that they'll likely send him to Indy to continue to work on things. I don't really think there are other players in that same boat, though.
    I doubt that they would've kept Raynor around much longer. I still don't really understand that Rule V decision either. Didn't make sense last year either. Rodriguez like you said has some value in that he can backup the IF.

April 27th... felt like he was rotting on the bench for longer. the first 2 months last year were pretty much hell as a fan.

So basically they are going to evaluate Alex Pressly in spring training to see what he has right now and then evaluate that further?

Threads : 45

I think if Wimberly and Rodriguez both show they can stick, Jaramillo and Doumit will be the losers in that scenario. Doumit, because he'll be relegated to being a backup catcher and Jaramillo because he'll be playing at Indy.

Steve Pearce was getting some work at third today. He also played a few games there at Indy last year. If he can manage to not be a complete disaster that might help his chances. It's not like Fields or Atkins can really play third anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Steve Pearce was getting some work at third today. He also played a few games there at Indy last year. If he can manage to not be a complete disaster that might help his chances. It's not like Fields or Atkins can really play third anymore either.
    Lets' hope that it's being done to A. Analyze where he might be in terms of playing 3rd base defensively and B. as a backup to the backup.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information