Thread: Something else to consider.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Something else to consider.

This is a very unique situation we are encountering this offseason with the CBA about to expire due to the owners opting out of the final year. This leaves the Steelers unable to negotiate a long term deal with Woodley until a new CBA is negotiated.
    It has been the practice of the Steelers, once they identify a player they want to keep, to extend them in the final year of their contracts. Lawrence Timmons is about to enter the final year of his contract.
    When the CBA is agreed to, the Steelers are going to start negotiating a long term deal with Woodley from all indications. Is it possible that with Timmons going into his final season and being a prime candidate for an extension, that it affects how the Steelers approach this offseason's free agency? They could potentially be negotiating long term deals with half their starting linebackers and this could play into who the Steelers let walk if they are planning to extend Timmons before the start of
    Next season.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 440

Default Re: Something else to consider.

and don't forget, Troy Polamalu's contract is up next year too...this will definitely affect how the Steelers approach free agency this year and how many dollars we can commit to the new salary cap.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

****, I didn't even think about Troy. I thought he had 2 years left so it's gonna get real interesting.

Harris: Questions linger at linebacker

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, February 19, 2011

There's a first time for everything.

Who thought the Steelers would have a $100 million quarterback?

Or a $50 million linebacker?

How about two $50 million linebackers?

Do I hear three?

James Harrison is the highest-paid linebacker in Steelers history. LaMarr Woodley, whom the Steelers designated Friday as their franchise player, may be about to join Harrison. And don't forget that a year from now Lawrence Timmons will be waiting his turn at the negotiating table.

That would be a lot of money to invest at one position and a major shift in philosophy for the Steelers.

The front office may consider their linebackers so important to the team's success that they're willing to extend the budget to keep all of them.

Having three talented linebackers in their prime is a nice problem to have. Unless, of course, you're signing the checks.

Harrison agreed to a five-year, $51.75 million contract two years ago that includes $20 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. He's due to earn $3.66 million in salary, plus a $900,000 roster bonus in 2011.

Woodley, an outside linebacker, has been waiting for the Steelers to take care of him since last summer. Getting the franchise tag is a start, as he is due about $10 million next season. Players who are franchised receive the average of the top five salaries at their position or 120 percent of their player's 2010 salary, whichever is greater

The Steelers also could try to Woodley to a long-term contract.

Even if Woodley doesn't command Harrison-type dollars, a signing bonus of at least $8 million isn't out of the question.

That's potentially $18 million in signing bonuses guaranteed money for Harrison and Woodley.

The total doesn't include what Timmons, the Steelers' leading tackler and best linebacker in pass coverage, could receive when his rookie contract expires after next season. Ring up another $10 million in a signing bonus for Timmons.

Can the Steelers afford to keep Harrison, Woodley and Timmons happy financially?

"I'm sure they're not going to pay three linebackers $8 million a year (apiece),'' said veteran sports agent Joe Linta, who represents Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon and is familiar with how the team operates. "They're going to have to make a decision.''

Maybe the Steelers can convince Woodley to agree to a salary-cap friendly deal, less than Harrison's but enough to satisfy Woodley's ego. Another option could be to pay Woodley the one-year franchise tag while buying time to decide who to pay long-term, Woodley or Timmons.

Harrison? Even though he's older than Woodley and Timmons, Harrison is a special player and a team favorite. He has a job with the Steelers for as long as he wants.

The Steelers don't mind paying big money to their linebackers. They took care of Joey Porter for years, and they're taking care of Harrison now.

However, if the Steelers reward Woodley with a contract befitting one of the NFL's elite pass rushers, they'll break tradition, with two of their linebackers earning major dollars and facing the possibility of having to pay Timmons even more money in another year.

Is Woodley worth it? Yes. He's a great pass rusher, but the Steelers already have a great pass rusher in Harrison.

They also have Jason Worilds, another pass-rushing outside linebacker who was a second-round draft pick in 2010. Sooner or later, the Steelers need to find out if Worilds can play.

If Worilds is a player, someone has to go because the Steelers can't possibly pay top dollar for so many outside linebackers.

If money is an issue it usually is with the Steelers Worilds is cheaper to keep than Woodley.

Just like Harrison was cheaper to keep than Porter.

Timmons may be more valuable than Woodley because he plays inside linebacker and has the versatility to replace safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark in certain packages.

Fellow inside linebacker James Farrior, who calls defensive signals, turned 36 in January. Because of Farrior's age, the Steelers may be more reluctant to lose Timmons than Woodley.

Or surprise, surprise maybe they'll decide to pay Harrison, Woodley and Timmons and cut back on salary at other positions they don't consider as important as linebacker.

Based on the Steelers' decision to franchise Woodley, there's a first time for everything.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ENg8ANuq

They'll sign both of them because Farrior has at most 2 years left and Harrison is probably gone when his contract is done. Linebacker is key to what the defense does which is pressuring the QB. I trust Colbert will get the job done and do what’s best for the team. Who they let go will be a good indication on what direction they're going.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They'll sign both of them because Farrior has at most 2 years left and Harrison is probably gone when his contract is done. Linebacker is key to what the defense does which is pressuring the QB. I trust Colbert will get the job done and do what’s best for the team. Who they let go will be a good indication on what direction they're going.

I agree, the Steelers don't usually lose their free agents when they are in the primes of their careers and we are about to lose Farrior and Deebo within the next couple of seasons...

I wonder, if this CBA situation lingers on for a few months, how it might affect how the Steelers approach the draft. Free agency is more or less on hold until it's concluded, but I like to think there is a plan in place to cover that contingency should it come to pass.

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree, too. They'll sign both. I think this coming season (here's hoping we have one!) will be Farrior's last. Who takes his place in 2012? Fox, Sylvester or Worilds? Or is it too earlier to say....
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    I agree, too. They'll sign both. I think this coming season (here's hoping we have one!) will be Farrior's last. Who takes his place in 2012? Fox, Sylvester or Worilds? Or is it too earlier to say....
    I'll say Sylvester will be groomed for Farrior's spot and Worilds will replace Harrison. I am not convinced that Fox will be back. He does alright on special teams, but his specialty is committing bad penalties at absolutely the wrong times.

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He does alright on special teams, but his specialty is committing bad penalties at absolutely the wrong times.
    LOL.......please, don't remind me!
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

It's a shame because he has potential and playmaking abilities.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information