Thread: Instructional Youtubes

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Instructional Youtubes

I can get lost for hours just doing searches on "song" + bass or "song" + drums, "song" + guitar. I just love watching certain songs and such performed, seeing how they are done.

Here's a few I was recently checking out...

Peg - Steely Dan (one of my favorite bass lines)

Stomp - Brothers Johnson

Another favorite of mine. The walk into the chorus is so subtle yet makes the song take off. The Slap bass solo is awesome. Louis Johnson was bad ***. He played most of the bass stuff for Micheal Jackson's Thriller album.

Rosanna - Toto [Late Jeff Porcaro instructional]

Besides the the basic"trash can" beat, THIS is probably the most important beat any drummer could learn and master. Actually THIS song (Rosanna) and Led Zeppelin's (Fool in the rain) should be a requirement next to "Shook me all night long" by AC/DC that ever drummer learns and masters.

The Half Time Shuffle can be used on so many songs and make any of them groove...

Fool In the Rain - Led Zeppelin [John Bonham half time shuffle amplified]

------

80's..

Livin On a Prayer - Bon Jovi

To a bass player they will scoff at this one but this is a brilliant bass line by Alec John Such. This bass line IS the entire song. Richie Sambora's guitar parts are just layering and a couple power chords, it's this bass line that makes the song and the bass line is really continuous. This isn't the best video I could find but surprisingly none of the videos of bass lines for this song were great. I did laugh when i read the comments on this where someone said that the guy shouldn't use a pick. Alec john such USED A PICK. Morons

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy

All of Nick Beggs bass lines are awesome..

Duran Duran - Rio

Again... this bass line carries the entire song. It's the groove, the tempo.. everything...

Last edited by Kipper; Aug-18-2011 at 01:00 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Instructional Youtubes

I could do without the Bon Jovi vid clip, but the Duran Duran one was good... As a bass player myself, I started on jazz for several years before ever dabbling into rock... But then I used it to pay some bills while in college by playing the bar scene in Daytona....

We had played this song, "La Fiesta", and had it perfected... I wasn't quite this good, but I was pretty **** close...

This is another by Maynard Ferguson..... I think you'll recognize this tune...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Just about everything on the XTC Oranges and Lemons album by Colin Moulding is excellent but this bass line just sticks out. It's the bass line that just keeps on moving. Completely controls the entire song...

(I love the Rickenbacher. Had never heard one played in a personal setting until a few years ago and it is really the best sounding bass I've ever heard. There's so much body in Airckenbacher that I was floored. It sounded as good in my basement attached to a Hartke combo I believe as it did on old Yes and Rush albums

The runs/licks on the bass in this song are just flat out bad ***.,,

Anything by Mark King of Level 42 is Bad ***. Straight up slap funk with a nice polish pop groove.

one of my favorite Level 42 tunes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information