Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "If Sid Returns......?"

Threads : 277

Default "If Sid Returns......?"

On another thread, I just answered a Kipper comment by saying, "If Sid returns...."

Because he is so young, strong, healthy and such a vital hockey player, we all assume that he'll come back and be the "old Sid!"

Then I think about Eric Lindros.

Granted Lindros had several bell ringings, but with a "brain injury," which is what a concussion is, how many bad ones do you have to have before you stop?

I am not hanging crepe or trying to start an "issue," but--as with many of you--I never thought he'd be out this long.

Default Re: "If Sid Returns......?"

I see 50 people have looked at this (thank you!) but nobody has any opinions they want to share.

I am not "pimping" for replies, but I'm a bit surprised that so few seem to have opinions on this medical possibility?

We all want him to but is Sid a lock to return this year or ever?

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Sid is very valuable to not only the Pens but also the NHL. I am sure that every possible precaution is now being taken after the Pens staff ****ed up and didn't test him after the Steckel hit. I watched the winter classic on cbc and all of the commentators where talking concussion during the 2nd intermission right after the hit. The first thing that crossed my mind too. I mean, the guy gets nailed on the head and it shook him up. It was pretty obvious if you ask me, but I also assume that Sid thought he was fine also and they let him keep playing. But warning bells should have went off.

That being said, lots of players take a bit of time to come back from a concussion and many show no effects after coming back at all. There is no need to rush Sid back, we will make the playoffs and give Sid time to rest. It may be that he sits the year, which in the short term would suck but in the long term would be fine.

Sid got hurt on a fluke kind of play. I don't think the Hedman hit did much of anything. Sometimes concussions can take some time to show themselves and if anything the Hedman hit may have aggravated the concussion, but I have read Sid saying that he didn't feel right the whole game, even before the Hedman hit. It is not as though Sid has a habit like Lindros or Primeau of skating with his head down, Lindros and Primeau are also bigger guys and when they get hit they tend to get the shoulder on their chin because of their height. The most dangerous thing for Sid IMO is to come back too soon like Savard did when he came back for the playoffs and then ended up with more symptoms afterward that lasted the whole summer and into this year before getting hit again and now his career is in jeopardy. Asham (all of a sudden) and Tangradi both have concussions now too. David Perron of St. Louis got hit earlier this year, scored a goal after he got hit in the same game and hasn't played since. I think it was in October. Toews had a concussion last year and won the cup and conn smythe. Doughty had one earlier this year and is back now as well. Really, concussions are not well known enough to be taken a chance on and Sid is far more valuable to us in the long term than for this year. I do think he will come back this year though.
    Last edited by PSmitty; Feb-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.

I appreciate your very substantive response, but--like many--I want "SuperSid" to return..

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see 50 people have looked at this (thank you!) but nobody has any opinions they want to share.

I am not "pimping" for replies, but I'm a bit surprised that so few seem to have opinions on this medical possibility?

We all want him to but is Sid a lock to return this year or ever?
    Ive been meaning to answer this Bill I just kept forgetting to do so.

I for one don't believe in any shape or form that sid has a "mild concussion" like was reported. We've seen football players come back as week or 2 later quite often from concussions of the "mild" nature and usually when you see a guy out for this long (going on 2 months soon), it was neither Mild nor was it the first concussion.

I think what haoppened was Sid was allowed to play with bad concussion symptoms after the Steckel hit and then the hit in the Tampa game made already possible "mild" symptoms much more severe. The length of this smells like someone dealing with multiple concussions. From the way Crosby has reacted publically about head hits and concussions and Mario as well, I can only assume that the severity is a hell of a lot more than they are letting on.

"If Sid Returns..." We have a chance at the Stanley Cup. You always have a chance with that type of player. Our depth doesn't stack up very well without Malkin against teams like Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Detroit and Vancouver but Defensively, we're far better than the Lightning and besides Vancouver, all of those other teams have questionable goaltending. Sid gives us a legit fighting chance for sure, Malkin and Sid would make us favorites in the East IMO. Not happening though

I don't think sid is a lock to return this year at all but i'm holding out some serious hope that he does. At this point, being out this long I've already psychologically prepared myself in thinking that Sid is done for the season and if he returns it will be the best news I could recieve Basically not setting myself up for disappointment
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has anyone heard anything new about Sid?

Over this past weekend, my older sister (albeit and flyers fan and a Crosby hater) mentioned that he may be done career wise. Granted, I am taking what she has said with a very large grain of salt, but I looked quickly at the Post Gazette NHL/Penguins section and have not seen anything.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    On another thread, I just answered a Kipper comment by saying, "If Sid returns...."

Because he is so young, strong, healthy and such a vital hockey player, we all assume that he'll come back and be the "old Sid!"

Then I think about Eric Lindros.

Granted Lindros had several bell ringings, but with a "brain injury," which is what a concussion is, how many bad ones do you have to have before you stop?

I am not hanging crepe or trying to start an "issue," but--as with many of you--I never thought he'd be out this long.

How many concussions one can have before having to hang it up and not play again varies on a case by case basis and none are the same.

I'm fairly certain that Sid got a concussion from the Classic hit and it went either undiagnosed, or it only produced minor symptoms that were glossed over. He then got a full blown concussion in the TB game right after. I'm more inclined to go with option A, that he got a full on concussion from the Classic that went undiagnosed, thus giving him 2 concussions back to back and making it as severe as it turned out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    Has anyone heard anything new about Sid?

Over this past weekend, my older sister (albeit and flyers fan and a Crosby hater) mentioned that he may be done career wise. Granted, I am taking what she has said with a very large grain of salt, but I looked quickly at the Post Gazette NHL/Penguins section and have not seen anything.
    Season ending yes theres a good possibility.. career ending, no. I've heard rumors too that are completely unconfirmed. One recent one has been that Sid also sustained a spine injury. There's been nothing whatsoever anywhere about this even being a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    How many concussions one can have before having to hang it up and not play again varies on a case by case basis and none are the same.

I'm fairly certain that Sid got a concussion from the Classic hit and it went either undiagnosed, or it only produced minor symptoms that were glossed over. He then got a full blown concussion in the TB game right after. I'm more inclined to go with option A, that he got a full on concussion from the Classic that went undiagnosed, thus giving him 2 concussions back to back and making it as severe as it turned out to be.
    I completely agree. Ive always felt that their public diagnosis of "mild concussion" was bull****. Football players get mild concussions all of the time and play the following the week. It's now been 2 months that sid has been out. There's nothing mild about that. I'm just curious as to what extent the concussions are. I agree completely with what yopu're saying about the first going undiagnosed and then 2nd one triggering the first one.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Season ending yes theres a good possibility.. career ending, no. I've heard rumors too that are completely unconfirmed. One recent one has been that Sid also sustained a spine injury. There's been nothing whatsoever anywhere about this even being a possibility

I completely agree. Ive always felt that their public diagnosis of "mild concussion" was bull****. Football players get mild concussions all of the time and play the following the week. It's now been 2 months that sid has been out. There's nothing mild about that. I'm just curious as to what extent the concussions are. [HIGH-LIGHT]I agree completely with what yopu're saying about the first going undiagnosed[/HIGH-LIGHT] and then 2nd one triggering the first one.

Which leads to the bigger question that nobody seems to be asking:

How much fault lays at the feet of the Pens' medical staff for this? "Undiagnosed" can also be known as "negligent"...

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Which leads to the bigger question that nobody seems to be asking:

How much fault lays at the feet of the Pens' medical staff for this? "Undiagnosed" can also be known as "negligent"...
    I've asked this a couple of times. I've actually expanded on this and mentioned Mike Comrie. He was said to have been injured in the 2nd game of the season and allowed to skate on that injury (hip) for 14 more games before being shutdown and requiring surgery. The guy looked great in Exhibition and awful during the season.

So, really Sid isn't the first guy this year to be allowed to go undiagnosed but I agree that it's negligent. Granted we don't know all of the facts and such but there's been a lot of signs of guys this year playing on injuries they shouldn't have been. There was someone else I believe too that was playing with an injury. Malkin I believe. The injury that shut him down wasn't related but he was skating on an injury that really seemed to hold him back.

I hope Mario is treating his medical staff privately the same way and with the same amount of concern as he did with regards to the league and how they deal with headshots

If the Pittsburgh Penguins want Mike Comrie to suit up for them again during the 2010-11 season, it will only happen between March and April 2011.

That’s because the center (and main squeeze of Hillary Duff, as I imagine you surely know by this point) finally underwent surgery on his hip today after [HIGH-LIGHT]originally suffering from that issue on October 9th[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    his last game was November 24. October 9th was the 2nd game of the season.

There's clearly something wrong with the Pens medical staff allowing guys to skate injured which is leading to more servere injury outcomes

Threads : 206

The fact that Steckel never looked back to see what he hit, makes me believe he knew exactly what he did!

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    The fact that Steckel never looked back to see what he hit, makes me believe he knew exactly what he did!
    The Steckel hit was nasty. Sid's head snapped pretty good on that one. The Tampa game, that hit, seemed to be less harsh which to me really shows how much that Steckel hit was the true concussion and the 2nd hit basically triggered that concussion into a nasty form

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...articlecontent

Interesting article in the Globe and Mail by Hall-of-Fame goalie Ken Dryden about head injuries.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 206

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...articlecontent

Interesting article in the Globe and Mail by Hall-of-Fame goalie Ken Dryden about head injuries.
    Thanks for the post. I always liked Dryden. I wish he would have played longer.

Has the time come for NHL players to wear cages? I'm sure some players will *****, but if you grow up wearing them... it really shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure wide recievers and QB's *****ed about football facemasks at first, but now, no one would think of playing without one. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information