Thread: How much would lockout hurt Steelers?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How much would lockout hurt Steelers?

From Scott Brown's blog, "View From The Pressbox"...

How much would lockout hurt Steelers?
    February 22nd, 2011

That the NFL owners and players union are engaged in seemingly meaningful talks is encouraging.

But with the deadline for a new collective bargaining agreement rapidly approaching it may be unrealistic to think that the two sides will reach a deal before March 4.

It took a mediator just to get the owners and union to sit together for an extended period of time. Also, while itís accurate to say that a lockout would constitute the NFLís first work stoppage since 1987 weíre still a long way from the specter of actually losing games.

In other words, there may not be quite the sense of urgency to get a deal done now as there would be in July.

If there is a lockout the Steelers may be better equipped to handle it than most teams for several reasons.

One, there will be minimal turnover on the coaching staff. Both coordinators are returning, and the only hire Mike Tomlin has to make during the offseason is a defensive backs coach. As such the Steelers donít have to install a new offense or defense during an offseason in which practices will be shut down if there is a lockout.

Compare that situation to Arizona where new defensive coordinator (and former Steelers defensive backs coach) Ray Horton has to implement a defense without knowing how much, if any, time he will have to work with his new players.

One other advantage that the Steelers have if most NFL business is put on hold because of a lockout is, well, the way they do business. Unlike some organizations, the Steelers generally donít rely on free agency or the draft to provide quick or immediate fixes.

Most if not all of the core players from last season will return in 2011.

Do you think James Farrior, Hines Ward or Troy Polamalu need to be running around in shorts and a helmet in May?

Me neither.

The loss of offseason practices might actually benefit a veteran-laden team like the Steelers but here is hoping we donít go there.

A lockout would not be good for anybody. And you have to think at some point that the owners and players will realize that they have too good a thing going -- and will meet somewhere in the middle.

Whether that happens in two weeks or four months remains to be seen.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How much would lockout hurt Steelers?

Depending on how the lockout goes (length, amount of mudslinging, etc.), this might be the beginning of the end of my staunch interest in the NFL.

Quite frankly I'm pretty sick of Goodell and his bull**** - fines, vendettas and favoritism, marketing the game at the expense of existing NFL fans. I'm pretty ****ing sick of it.

I'm also pretty sick of the fact that players want to play but the league and owners want more share of the pie on their plates. The NFL is the golden goose, there is no question about that. Stadiums are sold out everywhere, merchandise sales are through the roof. It's not ****ing broken and everyone is making a killing - but they all want more.

They all want more - out of YOURS and MY pockets and that ****es me off like you wouldn't believe. They just might be getting less out of my pockets, again - depending how this whole thing unravels and they might be getting less out of everyone elses pockets as well considering the mindset that I'm reading across the sporting media.

But isn't it human nature to continue to **** with **** that isn't broken until it finally is?
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no question that all fans are frustrated... You and me both...

... But not all stadiums are being sold-out... And the players want more as well, it's not just the owners IMO... It honestly goes both ways and I have a hard time seeing either position because they are just screwing with a good thing... As you said; "isn't it human nature to continue to **** with **** that isn't broken until it finally is?"
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 16
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depending on how the lockout goes (length, amount of mudslinging, etc.), this might be the beginning of the end of my staunch interest in the NFL.

Quite frankly I'm pretty sick of Goodell and his bull**** - fines, vendettas and favoritism, marketing the game at the expense of existing NFL fans. I'm pretty ****ing sick of it.

I'm also pretty sick of the fact that players want to play but the league and owners want more share of the pie on their plates. The NFL is the golden goose, there is no question about that. Stadiums are sold out everywhere, merchandise sales are through the roof. It's not ****ing broken and everyone is making a killing - but they all want more.

They all want more - out of YOURS and MY pockets and that ****es me off like you wouldn't believe. They just might be getting less out of my pockets, again - depending how this whole thing unravels and they might be getting less out of everyone elses pockets as well considering the mindset that I'm reading across the sporting media.

But isn't it human nature to continue to **** with **** that isn't broken until it finally is?
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    There is no question that all fans are frustrated... You and me both...

... But not all stadiums are being sold-out... And the players want more as well, it's not just the owners IMO... It honestly goes both ways and I have a hard time seeing either position because they are just screwing with a good thing... As you said; "isn't it human nature to continue to **** with **** that isn't broken until it finally is?"
    I don't disagree with both of your points. Yeah, not all stadiums are sold out but who gets proportionately more fans than the NFL? Proportionately?

Same for players, I don't exclude them from grabbing their fair share but if there is one side that I would want to see get paid it's the players. They are performing the show, not the owners, not the league - but yeah, salaries are getting crazy and they're part of the whole **** pie.

It's all greed and as long as we, the fanbase continue to throw wood on the fire, it will continue to blaze out of control.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I used to be a baseball fan. Always listened to games on the radio and went to live games too. After the last baseball stopage I pretty much lost all interest in baseball except for an ocassional glance. Only thing that could interest me now is the Pirates in the world series.

These greedy people better not under estimate just how much they could turn alot of fans off.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Feb-24-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    I used to be a baseball fan. Always listened to games on the radio and went to live games too. After the last baseball stopage I pretty much lost all interest in baseball except for an ocassional glance. Only thing that could interest me now is the Pirates in the world series.
    Yeah, same here sort of.

I could really get into baseball. It's a slow, calculating game but my mindset is such that it would interest me greatly but I have no interest in the MLB. I've been very diligent about the cross-trolling rule on this forum so I've been pretty silent on the matter (partly because of that rule and mostly out of respect for Pirates fans here), but here's my thang. The MLB represents everything that is wrong with professional sports as far as I'm concerned, and you see a little of this in college football.

The great will always be great and the poor will always be poor. The Pirates will be lucky, LUCKY to contend for a .500 season - let alone a championship because you CANNOT COMPETE WITH TEAMS WHEN YOUR PAYROLL IS A FRACTION OF THEIRS. Small market teams will never be consistently competitive and that goes against the grain of sporting nature. I have no interest in the MLB for this reason, why should I support a team who's goal of hitting .500 for the first time in what - two decades is out of reach while watching the same 5 or 6 compete for championships?

Having said all of that, who knows where this lockout takes the NFL. If the mountain of gold isn't enough for all parties, when do revenues begin to exclusively go to big market teams like the MLB? Is that the next step for the NFL?

If it is, I'm out. I'll never watch another NFL game again. I don't know if it will go in that direction, but when rich people begin squabbling over that one gold coin at the foot of the mountain of gold, it's not out of the question to consider.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information