Thread: Four Pirates Spring Training Games To Be Televised

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Four Pirates Spring Training Games To Be Televised

Four Pirates spring games to be televised
    By Evan Drellich / MLB.com | 02/25/11 12:53 PM EST

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Four Pirates games will be televised on FSN Pittsburgh this Spring Training, and all games are to have audio broadcasts available.

FSN Pittsburgh's first telecast is scheduled for [HIGH-LIGHT]March 6[/HIGH-LIGHT], when the Blue Jays visit McKechnie Field at 1 p.m. ET.

A 7 p.m. game on [HIGH-LIGHT]March 10[/HIGH-LIGHT] vs. the Orioles, a 1 p.m. game vs. the Red Sox on March 19 and a 1 p.m. away game vs. the Yankees on [HIGH-LIGHT][HIGH-LIGHT]March 26[/HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] are also on the slate.

The Pirates' flagship radio station, FM NewsTalk 104.7, will carry 12 spring games, including Saturday's opener against the Tampa Bay Rays at 1 p.m. ET, from Port Charlotte, Fla.

All other Pirates Grapefruit League games can be heard on pirates.com, with the exception of two split-squad games: Feb. 28 vs. Tampa Bay in Port Charlotte, Fla., and March 12 vs. Toronto in Dunedin, Fla.

Coinciding with the day of the Pirates' regular-season opener against the Cubs at Wrigley Field, FSN Pittsburgh is to transition to ROOT SPORTS beginning April 1.

ROOT SPORTS will carry live pregame and postgame shows for all 150 regular-season game broadcasts, plus a weekly magazine show and team-related programming throughout the season. The broadcasts are to be in high-definition.

All 162 regular season games can be heard on FM NewsTalk 104.7.

Evan Drellich is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @EvanDrellich. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_pit
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Default Re: Four Pirates Spring Training Games To Be Televised

I completely forgot that the station is called ROOT SPORTS () now. They had their name all over Piratefest and I wasn't even sure what it was at first. I guess that's the name of the station for the Rockies and the Mariners too All of the stations that were called "FSN" instead of Fox Sports are owned by DirecTV. I guess they had some kind of deal with Fox to keep the FSN name for a certain amount of time.

Other TV games being carried in other markets that you may be able to find online:
    March 13 vs. Red Sox: NESN
    March 28 vs. Twins: MLB Network
    March 30 vs. Philadelphia: CSN Philadelphia

Tomorrow and Sunday will both be on 104.7 in Pittsburgh and all the other Pirates Radio Network stations. They're airing most of the Saturday and Sunday games, but there are a few they aren't airing.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely forgot that the station is called ROOT SPORTS () now. They had their name all over Piratefest and I wasn't even sure what it was at first. I guess that's the name of the station for the Rockies and the Mariners too All of the stations that were called "FSN" instead of Fox Sports are owned by DirecTV. I guess they had some kind of deal with Fox to keep the FSN name for a certain amount of time.

Other TV games being carried in other markets that you may be able to find online:
    March 13 vs. Red Sox: NESN
    March 28 vs. Twins: MLB Network
    March 30 vs. Philadelphia: CSN Philadelphia

Tomorrow and Sunday will both be on 104.7 in Pittsburgh and all the other Pirates Radio Network stations. They're airing most of the Saturday and Sunday games, but there are a few they aren't airing.
    I had no idea about FSN changing names... again. Geez. It seems like every so many years the local sports channel gets a new name. Root Sports is kind of dumb sounding ROOT has to stand for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I had no idea about FSN changing names... again. Geez. It seems like every so many years the local sports channel gets a new name. Root Sports is kind of dumb sounding ROOT has to stand for something?
    I don't think it does. Many of the mentions I see of it have it written out in capital letters, but no one has ever mentioned it being an acronym. It's actually a really weird change, as they've really done nothing to promote it. I don't see an official press release anywhere, and the first mention of it was in a Seattle newspaper. I think it was then picked up by a Denver paper from there and I don't think it ever officially made it to Pittsburgh, as I only see it on blogs where people link the Seattle or Denver papers. I guess they hit up the fanfest things for the Pirates, the Rockies, and the Mariners, and that's about it.

I can't find any kind of website for them, though they do have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ROOTSports?v=info

I don't think it does. Many of the mentions I see of it have it written out in capital letters, but no one has ever mentioned it being an acronym. It's actually a really weird change, as they've really done nothing to promote it. I don't see an official press release anywhere, and the first mention of it was in a Seattle newspaper. I think it was then picked up by a Denver paper from there and I don't think it ever officially made it to Pittsburgh, as I only see it on blogs where people link the Seattle or Denver papers. I guess they hit up the fanfest things for the Pirates, the Rockies, and the Mariners, and that's about it.

I can't find any kind of website for them, though they do have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ROOTSports?v=info
    That is strange. I was going to say that I'm surprised the local media hasnt' said anything but then again, it's the local media, they won't print this type of thing until a week before the change happens. They have to budget for Bob Smizik's blog

How many markets is this going to affect? All of the Fox Sports regional channels?

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    How many markets is this going to affect? All of the Fox Sports regional channels?
    No. It's kind of complicated and I don't know all the details that created the situation, but basically, any channels called "FSN [city]" rather than "Fox Sports [city]" aren't actually owned by Fox, they're owned by Liberty Media/DirecTV. The only channels like that were FSN Pittsburgh, FSN Rocky Mountain, and FSN Northwest. I think there's also a FSN Utah that was kind of part of FSN Northwest. Stations like "Fox Sports Ohio" or "Fox Sports Detroit" will still carry that name as they are still owned by Newscorp/Fox.

They must have just put it up sometime today, because I looked earlier and they didn't have the regular season schedule up, but now they do. They're scheduled for exactly 150 this year. I think they actually scheduled a couple more than that last year. The ones they're not showing are mostly weekday afternoons and west coast night games. Here's the list of games they're not showing:

Friday April 8 vs. Colorado 7:05 PM
    Sunday April 10 vs. Colorado 1:35 PM
    Monday May 2 @ San Diego 10:05 PM
    Thursday May 19 @ Cincinnati 12:35 PM
    Wednesday May 25 vs. Atlanta 12:35 PM
    *Friday May 27 @ Chicago 2:20 PM
    Thursday June 2 @ New York 1:10 PM
    Wednesday July 20 vs. Cincinnati 12:35 PM
    Wednesday August 10 @ San Francisco 3:45 PM
    Wednesday August 24 vs. Milwaukee 12:35 PM
    Thursday September 15 @ Los Angeles 10:10 PM
    Wednesday September 21 @ Arizona 3:40 PM

Those first two against Colorado are due to the Penguins last two regular season games. There's a good chance a couple more games get bumped by playoff games.

* I checked the Cubs schedule and that one's a WGN game, so you should be able to watch it on TV in Pittsburgh.

A lot of teams don't have broadcast schedules yet, but most of these games will likely be on in the other market. I think there were two games last year (one against the Reds and one against the Braves) that weren't shown in either city. The Braves game actually wasn't allowed to be shown because Fox had a night game.

No. It's kind of complicated and I don't know all the details that created the situation, but basically, any channels called "FSN [city]" rather than "Fox Sports [city]" aren't actually owned by Fox, they're owned by Liberty Media/DirecTV. The only channels like that were FSN Pittsburgh, FSN Rocky Mountain, and FSN Northwest. I think there's also a FSN Utah that was kind of part of FSN Northwest. Stations like "Fox Sports Ohio" or "Fox Sports Detroit" will still carry that name as they are still owned by Newscorp/Fox.
    Now that you explained it, I do remember something about the FSN/Fox Sports thing. It's pretty screwed up if I remember correctly, with everyone from Liberty, to Fox/News Corp, Time Warner and Direct tV having an involvement with various different shares holdings. The "FSN's" were I think given to Liberty Media group in a stock swap by news Corp./Fox and Liberty and Direct TV got much closer in that time frame. I'm thinking that "ROOT" is the eventual renaming to get out from the "fox" title

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information