Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak Link

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Weak Link

Yes, every team, no matter how well they played or are playing, has one.

Is William Gay our main/sole weak link?

He can't seem to cover anyone. He doesn't appear to be able to stay with wr's and due to that he plays off of them so much and gives up underneath slants etc that can and/or will come back to kill us.

Teams throw at him most of the time because of this.

Didn't the announcers (I forget who) say last night something to the effect of he leads the league (or is really high up on the list of) in passes thrown at and pass completion % given up?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Weak Link

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, every team, no matter how well they played or are playing, has one.

Is William Gay our main/sole weak link?

He can't seem to cover anyone. He doesn't appear to be able to stay with wr's and due to that he plays off of them so much and gives up underneath slants etc that can and/or will come back to kill us.

Teams throw at him most of the time because of this.

Didn't the announcers (I forget who) say last night something to the effect of he leads the league (or is really high up on the list of) in passes thrown at and pass completion % given up?
    I think that William Gay is what he is...a great 3rd CB. I think against most 3rd WRs in the NFL Gay is/would be good/great. Against top 2...not so much. Unless this D is getting an insane amount of pressure--like they did last season--Gay is/will be exposed for what he is...a 3rd CB.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I think that William Gay is what he is...a great 3rd CB. I think against most 3rd WRs in the NFL Gay is/would be good/great. Against top 2...not so much. Unless this D is getting an insane amount of pressure--like they did last season--Gay is/will be exposed for what he is...a 3rd CB.

I noticed in the second half that we didn't give up as many of those plays that I mentioned.

I did not notice, and maybe somebody here did and can help out, if our adjustment was to roll our coverage over towards Gay to help him out.

If so, then so be it and fine, it worked last night, but against a team with a good pass catching corp it'll leave a lot of one on one and open guys if we have to continue to do that.

I noticed in the second half that we didn't give up as many of those plays that I mentioned.

I did not notice, and maybe somebody here did and can help out, if our adjustment was to roll our coverage over towards Gay to help him out.

If so, then so be it and fine, it worked last night, but against a team with a good pass catching corp it'll leave a lot of one on one and open guys if we have to continue to do that.
    Again, I think that Gay is a #3 CB and a good one...a #2? Not so sure.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My biggest knock on Gay is his inability to play physical...He seems a bit soft. He does not like to tackle. This doesnt bode well for a player in the Steelers system. Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, he's still a young player and I hope he'll come around.

I will agree that he is currently the weak link...I have screamed at the TV at least 6 times in the last two games, all of which directed towards Gay!

Threads : 23

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    My biggest knock on Gay is his inability to play physical...He seems a bit soft. He does not like to tackle. This doesnt bode well for a player in the Steelers system. Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, he's still a young player and I hope he'll come around.

I will agree that he is currently the weak link...I have screamed at the TV at least 6 times in the last two games, all of which directed towards Gay!
    I think Gay is pretty much like BigBen said, a good 3rd CB. Hopefully he'll come around to being a solid #2 eventually.

He does make some nice tackles, he is 3rd on the D with 34 tackles, and is our only CB with a sack so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I think Gay is pretty much like BigBen said, a good 3rd CB. Hopefully he'll come around to being a solid #2 eventually.

He does make some nice tackles, he is 3rd on the D with 34 tackles, and is our only CB with a sack so far.
    I think that he'd be a pretty **** good 3rd CB...but a #2? He doesn't have the size, quickness, or ball-sense to be a good #2 right now.
    Hidden Content

On a related note...I didn't want to post a whole new topic about it...did anyone notice how Ty Law played last night? I didn't really pay attention--I should have I guess.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree.. Gay is a bit of a liability. Given us some facepalm moments but he's not a horrible player.

Threads : 10

On a related note...I didn't want to post a whole new topic about it...did anyone notice how Ty Law played last night? I didn't really pay attention--I should have I guess.
    He sucked.

He held Ward whenever he could and got away with it.

Threads : 3263

I think our secondary in general is our "weak link".... Moreso might fall on Gay, but it always seems to be a characteristic for Steeler teams to have a secondary playing soft and allowing the completions.... I know that I was just one of many folks complaining about it last night in the GDT... The passes are being completed, and the chains were being moved last night... Yea, we played freakin stellar in the 2nd half mostly, but the 1st half was just painful to watch... We need 60 continuous minutes... Orton is no "Joe Montana", so I almost shudder to think what a passer like Carson Palmer will do to us this week....

.... That's my rant for the week.... Please feel free to bash away at me for it now....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I think our secondary in general is our "weak link".... Moreso might fall on Gay, but it always seems to be a characteristic for Steeler teams to have a secondary playing soft and allowing the completions.... I know that I was just one of many folks complaining about it last night in the GDT... The passes are being completed, and the chains were being moved last night... Yea, we played freakin stellar in the 2nd half mostly, but the 1st half was just painful to watch... We need 60 continuous minutes... Orton is no "Joe Montana", so I almost shudder to think what a passer like Carson Palmer will do to us this week....

.... That's my rant for the week.... Please feel free to bash away at me for it now....
    Depends whether Carson is laying on his back more than standing up.
    Hidden Content

Depends whether Carson is laying on his back more than standing up.

Therein lies the problem though.

If we play off so much and can't cover underneath slants etc, the QB needs only to three step drop and get rid of the ball right away to kill us with 6-8 yard passes all day. That kind of quick throws gives us no time to get a rush on a QB.

This is the formula the Pats* have expertly used on offense for nearly a decade.

Therein lies the problem though.

If we play off so much and can't cover underneath slants etc, the QB needs only to three step drop and get rid of the ball right away to kill us with 6-8 yard passes all day. That kind of quick throws gives us no time to get a rush on a QB.

This is the formula the Pats* have expertly used on offense for nearly a decade.
    That's why we should press...or drop our ILB.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post

he is decent at running guys down that he allowed to catch a ball and make the tackle. I think his tackle numbers are a little blown up because of his inability to cover. He's making tackles of guys he allows to catch the ball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information