Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weak Link

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Weak Link

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why we should press...or drop our ILB.
    William Gay can't make a good read or get the proper break on a route playing off a WR 5-10 yards and you want him to play press? Are you ****ing insane? Instead of Gay allowing 10 yard catches he'll be giving up long passing play receptions as he gets burnt time and time again

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    he is decent at running guys down that he allowed to catch a ball and make the tackle. I think his tackle numbers are a little blown up because of his inability to cover. He's making tackles of guys he allows to catch the ball
    Thus a good #3 CB...normally #3 CBs cover 3rd options that run intermediate routes...allowing them to catch a 6 yard pass on 3rd and 10 is acceptable...but allowing a #2 receiver to continually catch 6 yard passes...or even allowing him to get 15 yards beyond you...that's a problem.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

William Gay can't make a good read or get the proper break on a route playing off a WR 5-10 yards and you want him to play press? Are you ****ing insane? Instead of Gay allowing 10 yard catches he'll be giving up long passing play receptions as he gets burnt time and time again
    That's why I used the word "or"
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

he is decent at running guys down that he allowed to catch a ball and make the tackle. I think his tackle numbers are a little blown up because of his inability to cover. He's making tackles of guys he allows to catch the ball
    Hey, if you can't cover them at least make sure you tackle them

To be a lil more descriptive...I think you can establish a better zone coverage system where you can drop your LBs...press the CBs and get intermediate safety help that can allow the pass rush to get to the QB...that would help eliminate the short-to-intermediate passes...but it'd struggle against the long pass play if the pass rush couldn't get there.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 150

To be a lil more descriptive...I think you can establish a better zone coverage system where you can drop your LBs...press the CBs and get intermediate safety help that can allow the pass rush to get to the QB...that would help eliminate the short-to-intermediate passes...but it'd struggle against the long pass play if the pass rush couldn't get there.

Yeah but how does dropping a LB or two and having CB's play press with safety help over the top allow us to get great pressure on a QB with our zone blitz system that's predicated on pressure coming from anyone, anywhere, at anytime?

With that system you're talking about, that only leaves about 5 rushers, who I think would get easily picked up by an offense.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I think our secondary in general is our "weak link".... Moreso might fall on Gay, but it always seems to be a characteristic for Steeler teams to have a secondary playing soft and allowing the completions.... I know that I was just one of many folks complaining about it last night in the GDT... The passes are being completed, and the chains were being moved last night... Yea, we played freakin stellar in the 2nd half mostly, but the 1st half was just painful to watch... We need 60 continuous minutes... Orton is no "Joe Montana", so I almost shudder to think what a passer like Carson Palmer will do to us this week....

.... That's my rant for the week.... Please feel free to bash away at me for it now....
    Carson shouldn't accomplish much IF we get some pressure on him. that's always the key. It was the key last year to having a good pass defense. Besides that, Cincinnati's offense is a strong run based offense now. They smartened up and decided to rely on a run game than Gimpy Palmer. Now they just ask him to manage the game. I mean, the last time we played Cincinnati Palmer barely completed 50% of his passes for under 200 yards. We held a 20-9 lead heading into the 4th quarter of that game, had over 100 yards rushing, Ben had near 300 yards passing.

It's pretty simple. don't have a 4th quarter collapse, which we've avoided the past few games and Cincinnati we'll be in 2nd place come next monday

LeBeau's zone scheme is designed to keep everything underneath. It also relies on CB's, well any scheme relies on CB's to be able to read plays and stick with routes. Gay isn't doing those 2 things that are pretty much standard in any defense. The scheme won't matter much if Gay can't cover. We can't pull up a safety to help him on short stuff all of the time, we generally drop LB's into zone's or they get to cover a TE or RB in the flat.

Bottom line is Gay simply needs to do a better job covering guys

Threads : 150

LeBeau's zone scheme is designed to keep everything underneath. It also relies on CB's, well any scheme relies on CB's to be able to read plays and stick with routes. Gay isn't doing those 2 things that are pretty much standard in any defense. The scheme won't matter much if Gay can't cover. We can't pull up a safety to help him on short stuff all of the time, we generally drop LB's into zone's or they get to cover a TE or RB in the flat.

Bottom line is Gay simply needs to do a better job covering guys

Maybe LeBeau got confused by Gay's last name and just assumed he'd be good at things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Maybe LeBeau got confused by Gay's last name and just assumed he'd be good at things like that.

problem there is maybe Gay is better at covering "tight ends"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information