Thread: A hint at Hurdle's lineup?

Threads : 197

Default A hint at Hurdle's lineup?

The Pirates have the lineup out for their first game against the Rays today. Might be a preview of what Hurdle does to start the year. I guess it could also mean nothing.

1. Jose Tabata LF
    2. Neil Walker 2B
    3. Andrew McCutchen CF
    4. Pedro Alvarez 3B
    5. Matt Diaz RF
    6. Lyle Overbay 1B
    7. Ryan Doumit DH
    8. Chris Snyder C
    9. Ronny Cedeno SS

Obviously you pull out the DH and bump up the last two hitters. This is against a LHP (David Price) so you would see Garrett Jones instead of Matt Diaz against a righty. It's possible they'd hit him 6th and Overbay 5th, but we'll see.

I don't like McCutchen hitting third. He needs to hit first or second.

Threads : 413

Default Re: A hint at Hurdle's lineup?

Agree. Walker and Cutch need switched.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pirates have the lineup out for their first game against the Rays today. Might be a preview of what Hurdle does to start the year. I guess it could also mean nothing.

1. Jose Tabata LF
    2. Neil Walker 2B
    3. Andrew McCutchen CF
    4. Pedro Alvarez 3B
    5. Matt Diaz RF
    6. Lyle Overbay 1B
    7. Ryan Doumit DH
    8. Chris Snyder C
    9. Ronny Cedeno SS

Obviously you pull out the DH and bump up the last two hitters. This is against a LHP (David Price) so you would see Garrett Jones instead of Matt Diaz against a righty. It's possible they'd hit him 6th and Overbay 5th, but we'll see.

I don't like McCutchen hitting third. He needs to hit first or second.
    I really don't like Cutch hitting 3rd either. Stats wise he's a better hitter #3 but as a Leadoff hitter has more power. His OBP #3 is better, but you also start losing the bats to hit Cutch in. Tabata is better as a #2 hitter in just about every statistic. He didn't really hit and get on base well batting Leadoff last year. Just a 33 game example compared to what ...66 batting 2nd, and Walker is better as a #3 (more power). At least based on last years splits.

Getting more of Walker's power is important to me, so if he gets it hitting #3, then keep him there. his BA didn't really drop off. He hit .297 there I think. Cutch was a .278 hitter from leadoff last year but because Tabata didn't do so well from there, It's more important that we have Tabata hitting well and geting on base well.

I'm sure Hurdle will mess around with these lineups

no Overbay/lefty platoon. That should **** a couple of people off
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 277

Should be Cutch, Tabata, Walker, Alvarez.....and then Stargell, Clemente, Parker, and Oliver;
    with Robinson, Groat, Zisk, Milner, and Robertson coming off the bench to PH and spot start.

Threads : 277

With that lineup, I don't care who pitches!!

Threads : 31

In my mind, no way Overbay should be starting against a LHP. I hope this isn't an omen .

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Should be Cutch, Tabata, Walker, Alvarez.....and then Stargell, Clemente, Parker, and Oliver;
    with Robinson, Groat, Zisk, Milner, and Robertson coming off the bench to PH and spot start.
    Are we throwing together a 2011 MLB the Show lineup for PS3

The Pirates do have a nice opportunity to have a decent Top half of the lineup. It would be nice to get some better Offensive production beyond that. We need Pedro and Jones to hit for better average than last year. Our "sort of platoon" at 1B probably won't net average, but let's not be hitting .240. Same goes with Cedeno. I don't expect great stats, but, you can hit in the .260's. Snyder is here mainly for defense, so i dont expect much from his bat besides the good Catcher power he has.

It's not a bad lineup. the guys that aren't as good, can be better than what they showed last season, but I think if you get better overall bat production from Pedro and Jones (Diaz hitting well in the platoon too)... that gives you a nice Top 5 or 5, since they will likely hit Overbay 5th and Jones 6th, which could help Jones out

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    In my mind, no way Overbay should be starting against a LHP. I hope this isn't an omen .
    I don't think they are going to do a pure righty/lefty platoon with Overbay and Pearce, not at first anyways, but it needs to be more often than not. They might play matchups more than a left/right platoon. I'll be interested to see how this pans out. It's taken me a while but I've grown to accept more and more than this has to be more of a platoon than not

Threads : 36

I love Cutch in the 3 hole. He is by far the best hitter on the team. That is where the best hitter should bat. He can also come up in the first after 2 outs hit a single and steal second. He then comes around to score on another hit.

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lup, I agree with you. I think McCutchen should be hitting 3rd to drive in more runs. Way too many times last year the Bucs ended innings with men on base. You lose his ability to run more, tho, but still have Pedro behind him to drive him in.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUFan8023 View Post
    Lup, I agree with you. I think McCutchen should be hitting 3rd to drive in more runs. Way too many times last year the Bucs ended innings with men on base. You lose his ability to run more, tho, but still have Pedro behind him to drive him in.
    We ended a lot of innings needing a hit because our bats after the #3 didn't hit well last year. Alvarez hit .256, Jones hit .247. They both pulled nice power, but still not good hitting overall.

My problem with batting Cutch #3 is that his power nose dived last year batting #3. Batting leadoff, Cutch hit a Homer every 28.5 AB's, batting #3 he hit a homer every 47.3 AB's. We can't have that type of power production from our #3 hitter. Now Cutch, did hit better overall from the #3 spot compared to leadoff (.302 - .278), but his OBP was still pretty high Leadoff - .348

On the other side you have Neil Walker who hit #3 66 times out of 99, batted .297 and hit a homer every 32.6 AB's. Batting #2, Walker hit a homer every 42.0 AB's.

The most important stat though for me is jose Tabata. He was pretty abysmal hitting Leadoff Last year. (.255 BA | .311 OBP). Batting #2 though Tabata was - (.328 BA | .373 OBP).

I take the drop in Cutch's BA for the increase in power and his ability to still get on base at a much higher rater than Tabata did from leadoff last year. We bring Tabata's bat back to life, about 70 points (by last years stats) and Walker is in the #3 spot doing what the other 2 couldn't do there which was hit above average WITH power.

Walker was a .313 hitter with RISP
    Cutch was a .255 hitter with RISP
    Tabata was a .380 hitter with RISP

I'm not entirely convinced that McCutchen is the best hitter we have for the #3 spot.

now, these are just last years stats and they aren't a big measuring stick for sure. therefor im not concerned either way with how they construct the lineup BUT, going back last years number, we would get far more production the way on the left compared to the right

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information