Thread: Type A Free Agents

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Type A Free Agents

If I understand this all correctly, Type A free agents garner a first round pick for their former ball club as long as they are offered salary arbitration. This deters many teams from going after Type A free agents because of the value of first round picks and internal development of players in todays baseball world. However, there are some teams that can sign Type A free agents without it hurting them--because they have their picks secured. This latter case will in fact be the case for the Pittsburgh Pirates this coming off season. Now, I know this sound crazy, but would it not--with some of the valuable pieces out there--be worth it for the Pirates to pony up a large amount of cash to go out and acquire some of this premier talent that other clubs will be unable or unwilling to acquire because of the risk of the loss of the first round selection? With the current depth of the Pirates farm system--and the wealth of young talent, look at all the young high schoolers drafted last season--would it not be worth it since there is no risk of the loss of a pick, for the Pirates to go and make a big splash that could not only help this season but for the next several seasons when, by all accounts, our team should be primed for an attack on the Central? I am not saying they will in fact do this, but would it not, because of the low risk, be worth their effort to attempt to do so. Does it not also help the development of the future prospects of winning? Think about it. What if the Pirates COULD sign Rafael Soriano and Randy Wolf (or hell John Lackey). Would it not be beneficial for the team to do that. Such signings would not significantly hurt their draft prospects for the coming season, they have the payroll flexibility this year for sure, and these signings should not really hurt the amount they can spend in the draft to continue to acquire new talent. Just thinking out loud here.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Type A Free Agents

the Pirates first round pick is protected as well. They would lose a second round pick.

Threads : 277

Could we offer to give them a First Rounder, twice removed?

Danny Moskos should be desirable to somebody...maybe the Wilkinsburg Little League Giants, which must have one or two g kids we could use?

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could we offer to give them a First Rounder, twice removed?

Danny Moskos should be desirable to somebody...maybe the Wilkinsburg Little League Giants, which must have one or two g kids we could use?
    You and maybe others might laugh BUT... Danny Moskos has some value to this club. It's not as a starter. I know huntington and Starks are trying to see if he can become a decent starter and are getting him some solid experience in that area but Moskos could end up being a pretty good pitcher for us with what he was drafted for - reliever. Yeah, I know, we drafted a reliever in the first round, but tis what Dave Lttlefield got us and I think there's more value in Moskos as a bullpen arm for us down the road than there is in a trade involving him

Threads : 277

So, I should list you as "no opinion" re the trade with the Wilkinsburg LL? How about Homestead or Belle Vernon, where they have some humongous corner outfielders and first basemen, all grandkids of former steelworkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    You and maybe others might laugh BUT... Danny Moskos has some value to this club. It's not as a starter. I know huntington and Starks are trying to see if he can become a decent starter and are getting him some solid experience in that area but Moskos could end up being a pretty good pitcher for us with what he was drafted for - reliever. Yeah, I know, we drafted a reliever in the first round, but tis what Dave Lttlefield got us and I think there's more value in Moskos as a bullpen arm for us down the road than there is in a trade involving him
    What sucks the most--not to go back down this road--of drafting a reliever #1...is that he wasn't even a dominant reliever and sure-fire ace in the pen. He still isn't.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Maybe we can trade him for Matt Wieters??

I found this interesting:

Olney believes other teams could join the Reds and Tigers in cost-cutting mode. He says the teams with payroll space "will be in position to make some excellent deals."
    Olney finds it unlikely that Matt Holliday, Jason Bay, or John Lackey will receive a $100MM contract.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/1...ior-penny.html

If that's true...then its quite possible that some of the better talent could well fall into the middle-income market.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post

If that's true...then its quite possible that some of the better talent could well fall into the middle-income market.
    And that still isn't us.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    And that still isn't us.

That's probably true too.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    So, I should list you as "no opinion" re the trade with the Wilkinsburg LL? How about Homestead or Belle Vernon, where they have some humongous corner outfielders and first basemen, all grandkids of former steelworkers!
    Maybe if I were putting together a football team

I like Matt Holliday. Lackey and Bay are old. I'm old, those guys are as old as me and Bay has injury problems. Basically, I don't want 32 year olds on my ****ing team with brand new long term contracts being paid based on what they had done in the past. no ****ing way in hell. Lackey might have some gas still left in the tank but for how long? sorry, that's just risks we can't take on. If they are over the age of 30 with any injuury issues and want a long term contract paying them what they were worth when they were in the middle of their primes... NO

There's no place for a long term contract of Bay or Holliday. Both would be blocking someone and his name is Jose Tabata. Lackey I'd consider but I still don't see us adding bigger name guys to this roster. We're still in the process of finding out what Jones can do over a full season, Milledge progresses, Morton progresses, one of the many 5th pitching options we have, does etc...

So to end my tirade. We aren't looking at that list nor should we at this time

There are probably some type A free agents that would be nice additions to our team...but yeah Bay and/or Holliday just don't fit.
    Hidden Content

There are probably some type A free agents that would be nice additions to our team...but yeah Bay and/or Holliday just don't fit.
    I don't see it happening. I can't see us giving up what's needed for a Type A

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information