Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elitist: Rendon, Cole, Purke, Gray, and Springer

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Elitist: Rendon, Cole, Purke, Gray, and Springer

As spring training has begun and the interest in the Pittsburgh Baseball Club has renewed, so has the interest in the upcoming, 2011, MLB Amateur Draft. As the Pirates hold the #1 selection in that draft all eyes will be on the elite prospects throughout this season as the list is narrowed and finally yields the future, hopefully, star of the Pirates organization. Pre-Season, and still confirmed early-season, candidates for that #1 selection are Rice 3B Anthony Rendon, UCLA Starter Gerrit Cole, TCU Starter Matt Purke, Vanderbilt's little engine that could Sonny Gray, and University of Connecticut's George Springer. This thread will track, weekly, the progress of these five players as they move ever closer to their dreams.

UPDATED : April 1st
    Rendon:
    30G, 104AB, 32R, 38H, 10 2B, 2 3B, 3HR, 20RBI, 37BB, 14K, .365BA, .587SLG, .538OBP

Cole:
    (2-2) | 6G | 6GS | 39IP | 1CG, | 1SHO | 23H |13R | 10ER | 2.33ERA | 8BB | 47K | .173BAA | 10.85K9 | 1.89 BB/9

Purke:
    (3-1) | 5G | 5GS | 23IP | 0 CG | 0SHO | 16H | 11R | 3ER | 1.17ERA | 7BB | 29K | .186BAA | 11.35 K9 | 2.74 BB/9

Gray: (Not Recently Updated)
    (2-0), 2G, 2GS, 10.1IP, 0CG, 0SHO, 7H, 4R, 4ER, 6BB, 12K, .189BAA, 10.6K/9

Springer: (Not Recently Updated)
    6G, 22AB, 1R, 3H, 0 2B, 0 3B, 1HR, 7RBI, 4BB, 7K, .136BA, .273SLG, .259OBP
    Last edited by Kipper; Apr-01-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Default Re: The Elitist: Rendon, Cole, Purke, Gray, and Springer

Rendon was 1-3 with a R and 2 BB and 1K tonight in a 10-8 loss to Arizona.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 138

Here is an excerpt from a current Insider article (I don't have an Insider account). Gerrit Cole (not Rendon) is ranked #1:

"By Jason A. Churchill & Keith Law
    If the contenders for the No. 1 pick are to catch the favorite, they'll have to put forth monster seasons and answer each and every scouting question within their games to claim their stake -- at least if the first few weeks are any indication.

That's because Rice 3B Anthony Rendon hasn't had a stellar start by his standards, yet has still produced a .387 average and .525 on-base percentage against a strong early schedule. The 6-foot, 190-pound Houston native has drawn eight walks in his past four games and there are no reports of any issues in terms of agility or physical restrictions in accordance with the most recent ankle injury.

Rendon's stock is steady at this stage, which means those in the running have to dig deep. The contenders...

To read about the closest competition to be the No. 1 pick for Pittsburgh, you must be an ESPN Insider."
    Link

This seems about right. I mean I really think that Rendon is so clearly the best player that it would take a complete MONSTER season by one of the other contenders to make it even worth looking at...but, remember, even then you'd still have to question if this one season is enough to override other seasons and override the fact that you'd be passing up on, likely, a franchise bat.
    Hidden Content

Last Night: Rendon proved, again, what he's got. The dude when off against a great team in Arizona.

03/02/11:
    3 for 4, 2 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB, 1K, 1 2B, and 1 3B.
    Hidden Content

Draft Prospect Q&A: Matt Purke
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 2, 2011 at 3:18pm CST]
    As the 2011 Draft draws closer, MLBTR will be introducing you to a handful of the top eligible prospects with a series of Q&As. The series debuted last week with one of the top college pitchers in the nation and continues today with another.

Matt Purke pitched well enough as a high schooler to go in the first round of the 2009 draft. He didn't sign with the Rangers, who selected him 14th overall, and instead joined the TCU Horned Frogs. He led the team to its first ever College World Series appearance last year with a shiny 16-0 record and 142 strikeouts in 116 innings.

The 20-year-old sophomore is draft eligible once again and, according to Baseball America and ESPN.com's Keith Law, should go in the first round once again, possibly first overall. Baseball America called Purke "a bona fide ace with a lively 91-94 mph fastball and a wipeout slider" that can overmatch hitters. Purke calls his breaking ball a curve, but he isn't going to get into an argument about semantics with the publication that named him the 2010 Baseball America Freshman of the Year.

Purke talked to MLBTR this afternoon. Here's what we discussed:

Ben Nicholson-Smith - Can you describe yourself as a pitcher - what pitches you throw and what your approach is on the mound?

Matt Purke - I’d just say I’m a normal pitcher like any other. I just throw three pitches: fastball, curveball, change-up and my approach to pitching is to be very aggressive and get guys out as quick as possible.

BNS - What about your off-speed pitches. Which one would you be more likely to throw in a go-to situation?

MP - I’d say I’m equally confident with both [the curve and the change] at any point in time.

BNS - You say you’re like any other pitcher, but do you think you resemble any current major leaguers or past major leaguers in the way that you go about pitching?

MP - I’d say I get compared to Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers, a young kid, and Cole Hamels of the Phillies. I have kind of the same body build, the same arm action, things like that.

BNS - Two pretty good pitchers that you just named. When people compare you to those guys is that a comparison that you like to hear?

MP - Definitely, definitely. Any time that you get compared to someone playing professional baseball it’s definitely a compliment that you take pride in.

BNS - Do you watch those guys during the season as fellow left-handers and see how they go out and attack hitters?

MP - I watch baseball when I’m not playing baseball, so I’ll catch them every now and then. So I try to watch them and just use some of the stuff that they do to help me out.

BNS - You’ve been through the draft before as a first rounder before, so does that make it any easier having already experienced the rigors of being drafted?

MP - Yeah. The experience is nothing you can take away - it just helps. I know what to expect with the months coming and know what to expect the few days before. That’s already transpired, so obviously I’m in a more comfortable state than I was when I was first drafted out of high school.

BNS - You have the whole rest of the season ahead of you here, but what is there to expect once that draft actually comes around?

MP - I don’t have any control in it, I have no say in what happens. All I can do is sit there and watch ... It’s definitely an opportunity to be drafted and have the opportunity to play professional baseball, but really it’s another process you’ve got to go through. So it’s an exciting time and a stressful time, but it’s nothing that you wouldn’t want.

BNS - Can you compare Matt Purke the 2009 pitcher and Matt Purke the 2011 pitcher?

MP - I’d say now I’m definitely a lot more seasoned [now]. I learned a lot more, not only on the field but off of the field. After ’09 I was a young high school kid that really just played baseball and I only knew what I had done in the summer with team USA and in high school. And now I’m in college, I’ve been able to travel and learn how travel and also have a social life and be able to take care of my academics as well. So I’ve definitely learned a lot more, have a lot more experience now and I’m a lot more prepared for the travel that’s in the future.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...urke.html#more
    Last edited by BigBen2112; Mar-03-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Hidden Content

Draft Prospect Q&A: Sonny Gray
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 22, 2011 at 3:17pm CST]
    As the 2011 Draft draws closer, MLBTR will be introducing you to a handful of the top eligible prospects with a series of Q&As. The series debuts today with one of the top college pitchers in the nation.

Vanderbilt right-hander Sonny Gray has "the best curveball in college baseball," according to Baseball America, and ESPN.com's Keith Law suggested last week that he has an outside shot of being the first overall pick this June. According to Baseball America, some scouts wonder if Gray's future is in the bullpen. But with an above-average curve, a 93-96 mph fastball and a change-up, he could become a starter like Mike Minor and David Price, two Vanderbilt products who were selected in the first round.

Gray talked to MLBTR about his size, his curveball and Roy Halladay. Here's a transcript of our conversation:

Ben Nicholson-Smith - Can you describe your pitches and what kind of pitcher you are?

Sonny Gray - I’m a guy that has a pretty good fastball and I like to use it a lot. I also rely on my curveball quite a bit. It’s been a pitch that I’ve been able to go to for a while - ever since I can remember pitching. I like to throw mainly a lot of fastballs and curveballs and I’d say between fastball and curve that’s probably 85% of the pitches I throw.

Varying speeds on my curveball of course, so some are a few miles an hour harder, which can make a difference, and I mix in change-ups. I kind of like to just go after the hitter and just throw my stuff against their bat and see what I can get out of it.

BNS - It sounds like you’re pretty comfortable with your curveball at this point.

SG - Yeah, I’ve always been pretty confident in it. It’s always been something I can use and it’s always worked pretty well. If I need to make a big pitch, I’ll go to either that or my fastball, but I’m pretty confident in [the curve].

I’m really confident in my fastball as well and I’m gaining confidence in the change-up. This year I’m going to end up throwing it a lot more and I threw it quite a bit this summer, so I’ve just got to gain more confidence in that pitch and I’m starting to get that, since I’m starting to have success with it.

BNS - Is that one of your goals for the season? To keep working the change-up into the repertoire?

SG - It’s not one of my goals. My goal is to get outs and win games. If it’s throwing a change-up that certain night, then I’ll throw a change-up. If it’s not throwing any, I won’t throw any. If it’s mixing everything, I’ll mix everything. It’s just the way the flow of the game goes.

I don’t think that’s a goal - ‘today I’ve got to make sure I throw a change-up.’ I don’t really look at it that way. It’s just whatever I need for each particular outing.

BNS - Tell me about how you’ve changed or evolved as a pitcher since the Cubs took you back in [the 27th round in] ’08.

SG - I’ve changed a lot actually. I still go with the fastballs and curveballs, but I’ve added I think 25 or 30 pounds. Back then I was 5’11” and 170 or 175 [pounds] and now I’m right at 200.

I’ve learned how to pitch a lot more. In high school you can kind of throw it by people, but here you have to learn how to throw the ball to both sides of the plate - which is important - and I’ve learned a lot about the game. I’ve learned how to pitch, I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’m able to correct things now if something’s not going well, I can correct things in the moment which was something I wasn’t able to do then. Back then I’d try to rear back and throw as hard as I could if something wasn’t going right, but now I know why stuff happens and I’m able to correct if from one pitch to the next.

BNS - You said that throwing change-ups is not one of your goals, but what goals would you say that you do have for the rest of the college season?

SG - The goal is just to get out there and give the team a chance to win every game. There’s going to be outings when I’m really good, when my stuff’s real good and there’s also going to be outings like last Friday when my stuff’s not quite there and the offense is going to have to pick me up [Gray pitched 4 1/3 innings, allowing three runs and four hits and striking out six against the University of San Diego on Friday]. But to be able to give the team a chance to win every Friday night I go out there is one of my main goals.

BNS - Do you watch a lot of big league baseball? Are you a big baseball fan in general?

SG - Yeah, I am actually.

BNS - What major leaguers do you look up to?

SG - Roy Halladay does things the right way. His team follows around him; he knows how to come into a new place and maintain his work ethic.

Also the guys coming out from Vandy, guys that I’m pretty close with. I check to see how David [Price] does every time he pitches. We’ve developed a little bit of a relationship, coming from Vandy. So I look up to him and his success as well.

BNS - How much does the success of a guy like David Price or Mike Minor drive you?

SG - It does. Just to be able to see what they’ve done and try to build on that. To think what they’ve been able to accomplish and by doing it the right way. Especially coming here - the program has high expectations and I think that they kind of brought this program to a new level that hadn’t been pushed before.

And me being here I’m just trying to get to the next level that they weren’t able to make it to. And I’m going to leave it to the guys that come behind us. But we want to push the program far - to where it hasn’t been [a College World Series championship].

BNS - When you look ahead, say, five years from now, do you see yourself as a starter or do you see yourself as a reliever?

SG - I’ve always thought of myself as a starter. Some people say 'he’s shorter,' but I’ve seen myself as a starter. I closed my freshman year here at Vanderbilt and it was the first time I’d ever been out of the bullpen and it was actually an enjoyable time, I actually had a lot of fun with it.

It was a new role I hadn’t played before but once I got used to it it was something I enjoyed doing. I looked forward to throwing more than once in a week. So I’ve always seen myself as a starter, but if anything were to happen, I’m versatile, I’m not someone who’s just stuck on something and doesn’t want to try to experiment or do whatever needs to be done.

BNS - What about all of this interest in the draft? You have people like me calling, you have Baseball America writing about you, you’re on ESPN. How much of that stuff is exciting and really cool and how much of that is a distraction?

SG - I think it’s very exciting. It’s nice to receive recognition for the hard work you’ve put in from way before college, growing up playing the game. It’s nice to receive some kind of recognition, but then again you kind of have to take a step back and take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture. And for me right now the bigger picture is next Friday night and the next Friday after that. It’s just this season and this team, putting this team in position to win and stuff off the field can come off the field. It is nice to receive that stuff, but you have to take it with a grain of salt and just do what you can do.
    Last edited by BigBen2112; Mar-03-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like I said before, drafting Rendon adds another bat to the system and its time to balance all the pitching that's been added with offense. Drafting Rendon would also stabilize two positions at the same time, 1st and 3rd. That would be potentially 2 .300/30/100 guys at the corner onfield spots which I think you gotta do.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said before, drafting Rendon adds another bat to the system and its time to balance all the pitching that's been added with offense. Drafting Rendon would also stabilize two positions at the same time, 1st and 3rd. That would be potentially 2 .300/30/100 guys at the corner onfield spots which I think you gotta do.
    I'm drooling over a line-up that marches out Tabata, Walker, McCutchen, Rendon, Alvarez and Sanchez. Gotta think that compares with anybody.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I'm drooling over a line-up that marches out Tabata, Walker, McCutchen, Rendon, Alvarez and Sanchez. Gotta think that compares with anybody.
    That's a championship offense right there. Oooooh I can't.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 85

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    **** right. Its a shame, but i think there is a perspective out there that thinks that NH should be able to draft 9 superstars/all-stars and 5 Ace pitchers. When in reality, we should feel lucky to get one superstar in the field, and 1 ace pitcher. A team that drafts well, gets lucky on occasion with finding that superstar/stud, but in reality he needs to be able to find guys that can contribute on a consistent everyday basis. The perspective is that every player we get excited about, say Sanchez and Alvarez, needs to come up and hit like pujols right out the gate is insane. I understand it though, the streak alters perceptions of things. Its what made Nate McLouth look like an allstar, and a half season of Alvarez struggling with strikeouts look like the end of the world.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Apparently Rendon is currently battling a shoulder issue. ESPN has a short article up about it.

"Rice rallied from an 8-0 deficit last night against the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson, but their best player, Anthony Rendon, struggled at the plate and was unable to play the field due to a nagging muscle strain in his shoulder. On the positive side, however, he's running as well as ever and last summer's major ankle injury appears to be behind him."

You can read the rest if you're an Insider, but the gist is that players who can't show an ability to stay healthy typically don't go #1 overall in drafts.

Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...aft&id=6174909

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    Apparently Rendon is currently battling a shoulder issue. ESPN has a short article up about it.

"Rice rallied from an 8-0 deficit last night against the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson, but their best player, Anthony Rendon, struggled at the plate and was unable to play the field due to a nagging muscle strain in his shoulder. On the positive side, however, he's running as well as ever and last summer's major ankle injury appears to be behind him."

You can read the rest if you're an Insider, but the gist is that players who can't show an ability to stay healthy typically don't go #1 overall in drafts.

Especially multiples. It scares the **** out of teams when they are forced to make the sort of investment that they will.

I think the length of the shoulder injury will matter most here. If it nags, Rendon will fall which sucks because I';m not thrilled with the pitchers behind Rendon and it would suck to have the #1 pick but walk away with what essentially might not even be a Top 2 o3 pick in other drafts with Cole and Purke. Thats' on the surface though. I havent read much into Purke
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post

Actually Das... looking at that game... that wasnt last nights, that was Tuesday nights game they ar mentioning. Rendon played last night and went 3-4 with 3 rbi's, 1 2B and 13B. (homer away from the cycle).

Maybe the shoulder was nothing ?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Actually Das... looking at that game... that wasnt last nights, that was Tuesday nights game they ar mentioning. Rendon played last night and went 3-4 with 3 rbi's, 1 2B and 13B. (homer away from the cycle).

Maybe the shoulder was nothing ?
    Gotta think it's early in the season and maybe he wasn't able to work out as much while rehabbing the ankle. He has too much $$ at stake come June to do something foolish now.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information