Thread: Ray Shero's Potable-Notables from Monday - Feb 28

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ray Shero's Potable-Notables from Monday - Feb 28

Potable- Noteables from Ray Shero on Trade Deadline Day - February 28

4:37 PM:
    Notables from Shero:

• I really wasn't looking to detract from our team. I didn't want to move players off.

• The prices were somewhat high, but there really wasn't (anyone) that we saw as a real fit for us.

• Our trade deadline was a week ago with Niskanen, Neal and Kovalev.

• I would anticipate Dustin Jeffrey being (in Pittsburgh) for the rest of the year.

• Thereís a couple things that came our way over the last day or two to bring a guy into our locker room that we werenít sure of. So we decided to stay with what we have.

• I can say Eric Tangradi has never been offered in a trade.

4:25 PM:
    State of the Union Address: Ray Shero...

On how close he was to doing anything before the deadline and if high prices were a deterrent:

We had talked to a lot of teams today like we did over the last couple of days to see what was out there. I really wasnít looking to detract from our team. I didnít want to move players off. We have a number of guys that are injured and hopefully are coming back shortly. But yeah, the prices were somewhat high, but there really wasnít (anyone) that we saw as a real fit for us. So we wanted to stay with our group. And I think our trade deadline, as we know, was probably a week or so ago with Niskanen and Neal, and obviously with Kovalev. So weíre happy with those moves, and weíre going to move forward with this group right here.

On where Dustin Jeffrey fits in for the rest of this season:

I would anticipate Dustin being here for the rest of the year. So heíll be a guy thatís called up, and heís really made good strides here this year with our injuries with Malkin and Crosby. Guys like him and Mark Letestu, this is going to be a great opportunity for them to gain experience and continue to obviously perform for us. Theyíve both been good additions for us and it was nice to see them put up a couple goals the other night. So yeah, weíll be moving forward with him and Mark.

On all of the action before the trade deadline being an aberration or if this is what itís going to be like going forward with the salary cap:

There were just more bigger deals, I guess hockey deals as they call them, within the last couple weeks. I donít think weíve seen a No. 1 overall pick traded in a while, and thatís being Erik Johnson with young guys like Chris Stewart getting traded, James Neal getting traded, (Alex) Goligoski getting traded. Iím not sure if thatís going to be a trend in the future, but this certainly was different than it was in the past years. It was a pretty slow day on some of the Canadian networks. I looked and they were redoing the 2010 deadline, I thought I missed something there. So it was pretty slow. But a lot of guys still changed hands today. And I talked to our coaches a lot about this over the last couple days that if this is the group we have moving forward, and we get back some of our injured players, that weíre comfortable with what we have. (With) the addition of Neal, Niskanen, and Kovalev Ė weíre going to move forward with this group.

On if the fact that Washington got active made them waver at all:

No, I mean, this is all about our team. As I said, our moves, we did stand pat today, we didnít stand pat a week ago, and that was a move for this year and the future. But weíre happy with our team, and what other teams do, you really canít control. If we had gone out and gotten someone, that another team is going to go out and try to counter that move, youíve got to do whatís best for your own team. And we do have a group of guys that weíve added some skill up front in Neal and Kovalev, and obviously on the back end, some insurance with Niskanen, whoís fit in nicely so far for us, and weíre a group that weíve got guys that have won here. I trust these players, guys that have won Cups have been a big part of it, and theyíve grinded some points out here. And what was available, what the cost was Ė looking forward I didnít think it was going to be worth it for this hockey team and I trust the players that we have here.

On if the moves were the same with or without Crosby:

With or without Sid, yes. And look at our center icemen Ė I think of Letestu and Jeffrey. This is a great opportunity to gain this experience. And the important thing for us is that they bring a positive contribution to our hockey team at both ends of the ice. We were pretty excited to have them both back the other night. So weíre looking forward to that.

On assessing how the new players impacted the team:

Starting on the back end, I think Niskanen is a good fit. I think itís hard for a defenseman to come in right away and pick up the way we play our defense. I know Niskanen spent a lot of time with the coaches, Todd Reirden in particular. But I like what heís brought to the team. And as we move forward, I think things will continue to get better for him. He helps solidify our back end with injuries to Martin and Brooks Orpik. And up front with James Neal, Iím excited to have him for the short term and the long term in the way he skates, his size and he can shoot the puck. And heís going to be really good with good players. Thatís good for now and in the long term. With Kovalev, he kind of brings what we donít have Ė and thatís a great deal of skill. Thatís probably the first back pass he made the other night that Iíve seen we make all year to our team. Itís great to see him score a goal and great to see him score the shootout winner. Not that many guys are going to roof it like that. I think heís excited to be here. Like I said, the risk reward on that is worth it, and heís another guy that wants to be in Pittsburgh. So Iím happy to add him.

On if he has ever been a part of a team with this many injuries or anything like it:

I donít know. Everything is different. This team is different than teams Iíve been with in the past. The thing that we have with this team is that the guys we have that have been here have won. And I think we see it right now. Itís a character group of guys. They work really hard for each other, and they care for each other. Thereís a couple things that came our way over the last day or two to bring a guy into our locker room that we werenít sure of. So we decided to stay with what we have. Whether itís giving some of our younger guys an opportunity. Some of these guys Iíve had cups of coffee with, like Joe Vitale Ė a center iceman thatís done a good job with us. And weíre going to stick with Jeffrey and Letestu and I think down the line itís going to pay dividends for us. Thatís the way we wanted to go. There are reports out there that we had guys available, and Eric Tangradiís name is out there. I can say Eric Tangradi has never been offered in a trade. So I wasnít looking to trade Eric. I look forward to having him back healthy at some point and have him in our organization for a while moving forward.

penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/">

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 138

Default Re: Ray Shero's Potable-Notables from Monday - Feb 28

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "There’s a couple things that came our way over the last day or two to bring a guy into our locker room that we weren’t sure of. So we decided to stay with what we have."
    Wonder who he had in mind here? Maybe Zherdev.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ray Shero's Potable-Notables from Monday - Feb 28

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder who he had in mind here? Maybe Zherdev.
    It's definitely possible although I really cant see Zherdev as the type of play Shero really wants to bring... although he did think Miroslav Satan was a good idea
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information