Thread: Colin Dunlaps March 2nd Chat Transcript

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colin Dunlaps March 2nd Chat Transcript

Here's the full link ...

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-3211-

There was one quote I thought was really good or interesting. The rest were pretty general Q&A's as to be expected. People making certain players out to be mroe than they are, Dunlap trying to kill it

-----------

greg: If Clint hurdle has to pick a 5th starter today, who would it be and why?

Colin Dunlap: Charlie Morton. Because Scott Olsen has yet to throw to a hitter yet. Brad Lincoln hasn't looked as sharp as Charlie, either. Also, to speak to Charlie is to understand a divorce from Joe Kerrigan for him was about the best thing that could have happened. It comes down to this: So many people have tried and tried and tried to figure out Charlie Morton. I think Ray Searage has Charlie figured out -- here is how you do it. Don't try to figure him out. Let him be who he is.

Colin Dunlap: And remember who Charlie pitched against in his two innings -- Johnny Damon, Longoria and Manny. Think about that in comparison to the other outings so far.
    Most interesting Q&A of the entire chat IMO. I want to say that I heard something about Chuck Morton and Joe Kerrigan but I couldn't find it so I'm going to chalk it up to my imagination and assuming that the entire staff had a problem with Kerrigan This is the first I could remember seeing it emphasized that Chuck Morton was badly affected by Joe Kerrigan. Morton came over the season before in a trade but it's possible he might not have been missed with until the 2010 Offseason. The part about Searage figuring out Morton... I hope so. Morton did seem to pitch better after Kerrigan was gone and just under Searage but...

...and I swear I should make a quick Article about this... was Ray Searage completely blind and not involved with ANYTHING the pitchers did last year? Searage4 is being treated as some new guy brought in but he was side by side Joe Kerrigan for the entire season last year and was supposedly being groomed to take over for Kerrigan. While Searage should have an easier time knowing what was messed with to provide the poor results and get them fixed... wasn't he actually part of them problem as well if he was Kerrigan's puppy? Or was Kerrigan too bull headed and Searage was basically the "tool getter"?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Default Re: Colin Dunlaps March 2nd Chat Transcript

In going through the rest of the chat, it seems like a lot of people have a real hard-on for wimboslice.

I agree that he's a good little ballplayer, but I don't see him making the 25-man unless they decide to carry one less pitcher. And as is the modern "trend," I don't see that happening...
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In going through the rest of the chat, it seems like a lot of people have a real hard-on for wimboslice.

I agree that he's a good little ballplayer, but I don't see him making the 25-man unless they decide to carry one less pitcher. And as is the modern "trend," I don't see that happening...
    I noticed it too. that was my main reference of the "making players out to be mroe than they" comment. I can see it as a stretch for Wimberly too more due to space than anything

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    While Searage should have an easier time knowing what was messed with to provide the poor results and get them fixed... wasn't he actually part of them problem as well if he was Kerrigan's puppy? Or was Kerrigan too bull headed and Searage was basically the "tool getter"?
    There is no doubt in my mind that searage got cups and ice for kerrigan while he dismantled every pitcher he saw. I remember being excited when the pirates hired him. Thinking heres an old pro who should help these guys out. Resume without context sure doesnt tell a whole story. I guess we really should have known something was wrong with the guy when kendall freaked out about dave kerwin.

Threads : 24

Here's the full link ...

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-3211-

There was one quote I thought was really good or interesting. The rest were pretty general Q&A's as to be expected. People making certain players out to be mroe than they are, Dunlap trying to kill it

-----------

Most interesting Q&A of the entire chat IMO. I want to say that I heard something about Chuck Morton and Joe Kerrigan but I couldn't find it so I'm going to chalk it up to my imagination and assuming that the entire staff had a problem with Kerrigan This is the first I could remember seeing it emphasized that Chuck Morton was badly affected by Joe Kerrigan. Morton came over the season before in a trade but it's possible he might not have been missed with until the 2010 Offseason. The part about Searage figuring out Morton... I hope so. Morton did seem to pitch better after Kerrigan was gone and just under Searage but...

...and I swear I should make a quick Article about this... was Ray Searage completely blind and not involved with ANYTHING the pitchers did last year? Searage4 is being treated as some new guy brought in but he was side by side Joe Kerrigan for the entire season last year and was supposedly being groomed to take over for Kerrigan. While Searage should have an easier time knowing what was messed with to provide the poor results and get them fixed... wasn't he actually part of them problem as well if he was Kerrigan's puppy? Or was Kerrigan too bull headed and Searage was basically the "tool getter"?

What's funny about this to me is that Searage is "let(ting) him be." Honestly, I have never believed that coaches at the major league level do much good, but that they can do a good deal of harm. Some players just don't need any "coaching;" they need supported and monitored and advised occasionally, but by the time a player gets to the majors, it's really up to the player to decide if he needs anything more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that searage got cups and ice for kerrigan while he dismantled every pitcher he saw. I remember being excited when the pirates hired him. Thinking heres an old pro who should help these guys out. Resume without context sure doesnt tell a whole story. I guess we really should have known something was wrong with the guy when kendall freaked out about dave kerwin.
    im not sure about using kendall as a sign about anthying. There might not be a bigger ******bag in baseball than Jason Kendall

The thing with Kerrigan is that he got rave reviews in 2009. He did some outstanding work with Ohlendorf. messed with his mechanics and practically had him on a season long developmental schedule. They brought in Searage after that season to be Kerrigan's apprentice because they were so high on Kerrigan's work and the nosedive occurs last year... but with Searage actually being a part.

We will call it a matter of me not putting my defenses down right now. maybe Kerrigan's input was to just observe and do what Kerrigan said and the plus is that he saw what was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    What's funny about this to me is that Searage is "let(ting) him be." Honestly, I have never believed that coaches at the major league level do much good, but that they can do a good deal of harm. Some players just don't need any "coaching;" they need supported and monitored and advised occasionally, but by the time a player gets to the majors, it's really up to the player to decide if he needs anything more than that.
    Sometimes the best thing to do is not mess with anything at all and allow the pitcher himself to make that decision for you. Kerrigan messing with Lincoln's delivery on day 1 was the complete opposite of what should be done. Lincoln was pitching well in AAA, he's a rookie and going to be nervous and as far as we could see, there was nothing wrong with him.. Let him pitch and then determine if there is something wrong but only if it affects the pitcher's game negatively.

Pitching coaches will work with pitchers all season long. They do a lot more than we think or give credit it to, but it's really a matter of approach. there are some pitchers that will require a major overhaul and Searage has been working with Lincoln to regain form and his previous mechanics so he's part of actually working ion a players delivery, mechanics, etc... right now

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    I agree buccoman. I wasn't a pitcher so I have no experience to fall back on, but I've always said that trying to change a pitcher at the major league level is ridiculous. The coach is there to watch and make sure the pitcher is repeating his mechanics and to get him back on track if he starts doing something different. You want to change a pitcher you start in the Instructional League or somewhere else down there.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I agree buccoman. I wasn't a pitcher so I have no experience to fall back on, but I've always said that trying to change a pitcher at the major league level is ridiculous. The coach is there to watch and make sure the pitcher is repeating his mechanics and to get him back on track if he starts doing something different. [HIGH-LIGHT]You want to change a pitcher you start in the Instructional League or somewhere else down there[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    That is pretty much it. What is the point in developing someone for all of those years to have a coach at the MLB completely undo it all?

the logic is pretty counterproductive

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

im not sure about using kendall as a sign about anthying. There might not be a bigger ******bag in baseball than Jason Kendall
    Jason Kendall isnt even the biggest ******bag on that team

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    Jason Kendall isnt even the biggest ******bag on that team
    I have to disagree. Jason Kendall is pretty up there for me in the ******bag world, so I do place him higher but the Royals off the top of my head dont have anyone that really sticks out as a ******, certaintly not on Kendall's level

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information