Thread: James MCDonald Off To A Good Start & Working On His Mound Presence

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default James MCDonald Off To A Good Start & Working On His Mound Presence

Pirates starter McDonald working on mound presence

By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Photo Gallery
    Rob Biertempfel is the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Pirates beat writer. He can be reached at 412-320-7811 or via e-mail.

BRADENTON, Fla. Pirates right-hander James McDonald wants his presence on the hill to be felt this season.

"I want guys to feel uneasy when I'm on the mound," McDonald said. "I want them to know I'm a guy that comes in hard and is not afraid."

Tuesday, McDonald made his spring training debut by tossing two scoreless innings in a 2-0 victory against the New York Yankees.

"We need our pitching to step forward and establish their game on the mound," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "That's one of James' focus points going into this spring, and we saw a glimpse of it today."

McDonald gave up two hits. Curtis Granderson tripled with one out in the first, but Jorge Posada followed with an inning-ending grounder. Eric Chavez singled leading off the second, but Jesus Montero rolled into a double play.

"Today was a success," McDonald said. "The goal today was to get ahead, throw strikes and really be efficient. Try to get early outs, early swings. Just get the ball over the plate."

McDonald threw mostly fastballs, but his changeup and cutter also were effective.
    "I was surprised how well I could go side-to-side over the plate," McDonald said. "I am pretty happy with myself with the way I'm going."

Pedro Ciriaco's RBI double gave the Pirates a 1-0 lead in the sixth inning. In the seventh, Garrett Jones walked and scored on Josh Fields' sacrifice fly.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_725280.html
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: James MCDonald Off To A Good Start & Working On His Mound Presence

Hopefully that "mound presence" doesn't take away from his SMOOTH delivery. One of the tings I enjoyed about watching McDonald throw last year was his delivery was so smooth and look effortless. It had the simplicity and smoothness to which repeating the delivery is much easier to do.

McDonald's problems in the past were always his control and inability to pitch well at key times with runners on and he didn't really have those issues last year. While his BB/9 was up in the 3's, he managed and controlled them really well. With the emphasis on holding baserunners, McDonald's game could become much more complete
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information