Thread: Tanner Scheppers Update

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tanner Scheppers Update

For those who are curious about the almost Pirate, Keith Law has an interesting piece on his blog about Scheppers' velocity being way down. Here's the gist:

"Scheppers touched 92 MPH once on Thursday, but was mostly 88-91, and most alarming was how incredibly slow his arm was. In relief last summer and the fall before, I saw him up to 98 with a hellacious breaking ball and a lightning-quick arm, but the guy I saw on Thursday was a virtual non-prospect, a "put the gun down" player if he wasn't a once-famous draft prospect. Pro scouts around me who hadn't seen him as an amateur were all commenting how his bonus appeared to be money down the drain, and some discussion turned to how the damage in Scheppers' shoulder (believed by some teams to be a torn rotator cuff) hurt his draft stock and reduced his potential role in pro ball."

Law goes on to say that it was revealed after the game that Scheppers was pitching through back stiffness, but he seems pretty suspicious that something else is going on.

For those with Insider access, here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...ith&id=6180694

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tanner Scheppers Update

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those who are curious about the almost Pirate, Keith Law has an interesting piece on his blog about Scheppers' velocity being way down. Here's the gist:

"Scheppers touched 92 MPH once on Thursday, but was mostly 88-91, and most alarming was how incredibly slow his arm was. In relief last summer and the fall before, I saw him up to 98 with a hellacious breaking ball and a lightning-quick arm, but the guy I saw on Thursday was a virtual non-prospect, a "put the gun down" player if he wasn't a once-famous draft prospect. Pro scouts around me who hadn't seen him as an amateur were all commenting how his bonus appeared to be money down the drain, and some discussion turned to how the damage in Scheppers' shoulder (believed by some teams to be a torn rotator cuff) hurt his draft stock and reduced his potential role in pro ball."

Law goes on to say that it was revealed after the game that Scheppers was pitching through back stiffness, but he seems pretty suspicious that something else is going on.

For those with Insider access, here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...ith&id=6180694
    "Back Stiffness" doesn't cause an 8-10 mph decrease in velocity (98 tops to 88-91).

I had always agreed with the Pirates not signing the kid and as much as i hate taking risks and probably wouldn't have even drafted Scheppers due to being a person of low risk, I can't fault the pirates for taking the risk. He was there, the upside and potential was there IF he was healthy. Between the time he was drafted and when he was to come in for the physical and throwing audition we were told by Scheppers people that he was fine and that ended up not being the case. That arm just got flat out abused in College and it looks like he is damaged goods going forward.

Sucks that we didn't get anything out of the 2nd Round that year but we're better off not having paid that 1st round money that Scheppers was demanding for a broken product
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Sucks that we didn't get anything out of the 2nd Round that year but we're better off not having paid that 1st round money that Scheppers was demanding for a broken product
    For what it's worth the Bucs at least got a compensation round pick the following year for not signing him. I believe they took Brooks Pounders with it.

It's looking like the Bucs dodged a pretty expensive bullet.

Threads : 158

Wonder what Bob Smizik thinks? lol

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    Scheppers was fine until he was ruined by a brush with the Pirates organization. Clearly, this is Bob Nutting's fault.

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    I am sure there will be something negative about it.

It's funny how people held on to this guy for so long as a "missed opportunity"

Even before the guy ever threw a pro pitch.

For what it's worth the Bucs at least got a compensation round pick the following year for not signing him. I believe they took Brooks Pounders with it.

Victor Black was the comp pick I believe, so it was like getting an extra pick to blow since Victor Black hasn't done anything but get injured. At 22-23.

I dont think it was meant to be for the Pirates with that pick

Threads : 24

Scheppers was fine until he was ruined by a brush with the Pirates organization. Clearly, this is Bob Nutting's fault.
    Preciously funny.

Threads : 2

I actually believe that it was Victor Black, not Brooks Pounders. But I agree with you that we dodged a pretty expensive bullet. We were able to use that money to sign Matt Diaz and I think he and Garrett Jones are going to be one very productive platoon this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by 81omar View Post
    I actually believe that it was Victor Black, not Brooks Pounders. But I agree with you that we dodged a pretty expensive bullet. We were able to use that money to sign Matt Diaz and I think he and Garrett Jones are going to be one very productive platoon this year!!
    Without a doubt. I'm looking forward to seeing that platoon operate this eyar. It's always tough to find that specific player you want in Free Agency especially considering the competition price wise and the fact that the Pirates are likely looking at having to pay someone 10% more to come here than the next team competing for that player... sometimes you can accomplish an improvement with a little creativity.

Garrett Jones only hit .262 against righties last season, but if the pressure is taken off of him having to try and hit lefties, that .262 should naturally increase into the .270 range and there's a possibility of some improved power. Comfort mentally can create those improvements IMO.

Matt Diaz hit in the .270's against lefties. Those 2 alone should combine for over 20 Homer's and a Batting average in the .270 range. We got .243 BA and 37 homers there last year (although the accuracy is a little off at Fangraphs since they credited Garrett Jones for an entire season worth of RF production. Jones only plahyed 48 games at RF with just 9 of his 21 homers.
    Sop subtract 11 from 37 that Fangraphs but there . Jones also hit .274 playing RF, so there could be less mental strain playing that position to).

That should be a nice boost in production and we're going to be able to do it relatively cheap with creativity if everyone stays healthy of course

Victor Black was the comp pick I believe, so it was like getting an extra pick to blow since Victor Black hasn't done anything but get injured. At 22-23.

I dont think it was meant to be for the Pirates with that pick
    Very true. And thanks for the correction.

Very true. And thanks for the correction.
    I had to look it up I couldn't remember, myself, but Brooks Pounders didn't sound right for whatever reason.

weren't they projecting Vic Black as a potential closer?

I had to look it up I couldn't remember, myself, but Brooks Pounders didn't sound right for whatever reason.

weren't they projecting Vic Black as a potential closer?
    Pounders must have been the 2nd round pick instead of the supplemental. Regardless, I'm pretty sure both Black and Pounders were projected as closers.

Pounders must have been the 2nd round pick instead of the supplemental. Regardless, I'm pretty sure both Black and Pounders were projected as closers.
    Thanks. I couldn't remember. Something about Black kept telling me that his projection was "closer" but it almost seems like if you're not a Top 5 pick in the draft, you get projected as a "closer" or "reliever" by all of the experts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information