Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Austin Kubitza

      
  1. #1
    JimY's Avatar
    Status : JimY is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Feb 13, 2010
    Location : Steubenville, OH
    Posts : 125
    Threads : 9
    Last Online : Feb-24-2012 @ 06:07 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Austin Kubitza

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=4170

    We may end up regretting this one. A complete game with 88 pitches, 66 of which were strikes....insane. If he adds velocity over the next 3 years, he could go at the top of the draft. Dace Kime could also make us wonder.

  2. #2
    LeeFoo's Avatar
    Status : LeeFoo is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Mar 5, 2010
    Location : central pa
    Posts : 615
    Threads : 66
    Last Online : Jul-15-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=4170

    We may end up regretting this one. A complete game with 88 pitches, 66 of which were strikes....insane. If he adds velocity over the next 3 years, he could go at the top of the draft. Dace Kime could also make us wonder.
    We made competitive offers. THere was some 'intrigue' with Kime (we reportedly had signed him, then we didn't).

    You can't sign them all. My hope is that eventually, we don't even miss them. We've got some tough minor league decisions to make with the plethora of pitching we NOW have.

  3. #3
    Pizza Delivery Man's Avatar
    Status : Pizza Delivery Man is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Mar 3, 2011
    Posts : 46
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Mar-03-2013 @ 11:36 PM

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We may end up regretting this one. A complete game with 88 pitches, 66 of which were strikes....insane. If he adds velocity over the next 3 years, he could go at the top of the draft.
    LOL!! I made a similar post about Kubitza last night!

    http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.co...Springer/page3

    LOL!!

  4. #4
    JimY's Avatar
    Status : JimY is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Feb 13, 2010
    Location : Steubenville, OH
    Posts : 125
    Threads : 9
    Last Online : Feb-24-2012 @ 06:07 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Yeah, it is true that you can't sign them all. Still, it makes you look at some of the money wasted at the major league level (Church, Vasquez, Hinske, Overbay, etc.) and just wonder what the difference would have been if they gave those jobs to minor league free agent types and spent even more on the draft and Dominican signings.
    I know it's not fair to say that though. Thhey have to spend something on the major league level just to shut up the media/fans/players union I'd just rather see the money spent on kids than washed up retreads.

  5. #5
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, it is true that you can't sign them all. Still, it makes you look at some of the money wasted at the major league level (Church, Vasquez, Hinske, Overbay, etc.) and just wonder what the difference would have been if they gave those jobs to minor league free agent types and spent even more on the draft and Dominican signings.
    I know it's not fair to say that though. Thhey have to spend something on the major league level just to shut up the media/fans/players union I'd just rather see the money spent on kids than washed up retreads.
    Boy the BFD's of the world would love that. wouldn't they?

    POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

  6. #6
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=4170

    We may end up regretting this one. A complete game with 88 pitches, 66 of which were strikes....insane. If he adds velocity over the next 3 years, he could go at the top of the draft. Dace Kime could also make us wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by 81omar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL!! I made a similar post about Kubitza last night!

    http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.co...Springer/page3

    LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, it is true that you can't sign them all. Still, it makes you look at some of the money wasted at the major league level (Church, Vasquez, Hinske, Overbay, etc.) and just wonder what the difference would have been if they gave those jobs to minor league free agent types and spent even more on the draft and Dominican signings.
    I know it's not fair to say that though. Thhey have to spend something on the major league level just to shut up the media/fans/players union I'd just rather see the money spent on kids than washed up retreads.
    It was a nice game by Kubitza but lost in all of this is what he did in his previous outing (other start) ....

    5.2 IP | 6 Hits | 3 ER | 3 BB | 7K

    and in his first start

    6 IP | 6 hits | 2 ER | 0 BB | 5K

    Nothing that's really worth losing any sleep over
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  7. #7
    Lup's Avatar
    Status : Lup is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 18, 2009
    Posts : 605
    Threads : 36
    Last Online : Oct-01-2013 @ 09:32 AM

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    This just illustrates the genius of the Pirates plan. They target tons of tough signs. They know they can't convince all of them to sign. That would be impossible even if they had a lower payroll. Players are going to sometimes choose college. You target tons of high upside guys and try to sign as many as possible, and you can't sweat the ones you don't sign. The idiot Smizik crowd would never understand this concept, because well they don't understand anything.

  8. #8
    Willton's Avatar
    Status : Willton is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Mar 3, 2011
    Posts : 27
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Apr-27-2011 @ 02:26 PM

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Kubitza is a guy I REALLY wanted the Bucs to sign.

  9. #9
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by Willton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kubitza is a guy I REALLY wanted the Bucs to sign.
    I wanted them to sign everyone on the 10 and it's funny because mentioning Kubitza right now, I kept think we did that. Was it 2009 that we signed the entire Top 10?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  10. #10
    Willton's Avatar
    Status : Willton is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Mar 3, 2011
    Posts : 27
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Apr-27-2011 @ 02:26 PM

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wanted them to sign everyone on the 10 and its funny because mentioning Kubitza right now, I kept think we did that. Was it 2009 that we signed the entire Top 10?
    No.

  11. #11
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by Willton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.
    Found it..

    2009 we signed our Top 13 (I knew there was a year and figured with Sanchez getting slot that 2009 was the season we signed all 10)

    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2009...raft-pick.html

    Now Im just surprised my memory sucks about not signing Kubitza. I looked and we didn't sign our 6,7,8 and 10 picks last year and we still spent a buttload too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  12. #12
    LeeFoo's Avatar
    Status : LeeFoo is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Mar 5, 2010
    Location : central pa
    Posts : 615
    Threads : 66
    Last Online : Jul-15-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Excellent article on the philosophy of drafting 'tough signs'.

    http://bucsprospects.com/2011/03/07/...-to-bite-them/

    I agree. I would rather have them draft all of them and sign a few than not take a chance at all (Dave Littlefield syndrome). And, if they DO turn out to be #1 picks, then that just means our scouts know what they're doing.

    Sometimes it is D**ned if you do and D**ned if you don't for our Front Office.

  13. #13
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Excellent article on the philosophy of drafting 'tough signs'.

    http://bucsprospects.com/2011/03/07/...-to-bite-them/

    I agree. I would rather have them draft all of them and sign a few than not take a chance at all (Dave Littlefield syndrome). And, if they DO turn out to be #1 picks, then that just means our scouts know what they're doing.

    Sometimes it is D**ned if you do and D**ned if you don't for our Front Office.
    That was a pretty good article. I liked a couple of points made...

    1.

    And while I don’t have sure financial numbers of what the Pirates offered or what Kubitza demanded to forego Rice, I was told by a number of scouts in Texas that he was looking for “life-changing” money. That he was academically motivated, set on going to Rice, and that the Pirates were simply taking a flier by drafting him.

    Whether “life-changing” means $1 Million or $10 Million, you’d have to ask Kubitza. But it was clearly a price beyond what the Pirates were willing to spend. Most importantly, if any other team wanted him that badly, they surely would have taken him before the 7th round
    We have to remember that the Pirates have not been shy about paying players over slot. Allie, Von Rosenberg, Cain, Drew Maggi ... IMO whatever Kubitza was asking, it had to be beyond reasonable which is unfortunately the risk you take when you draft. You draft players with the belief that they can be signed but also know that there will always be a chance that they don't. you really never know until negotiations start and when you draft, you draft BPA, not signability

    2.

    Let’s say that among Austin Kubitza, Jason Hursh (6th round, now at Oklahoma State), Dace Kime (8th, Louisville), and Zack Weiss (10th, UCLA), none of them end up as high picks in 2013.

    That’s what would really disturb me!

    The reason such failure would be disturbing is that it would mean the Pirates did a poor job identifying talent three years before.

    I’d be more encouraged as a Pirates fan if the pitchers they “lost” turn out well, as much as that goes against the grain. Their success in college would be a positive indicator because, hopefully, it means that Greg Smith’s crew also correctly evaluated the players they did sign.
    This is a really good point too. When you don't or can't sign a player you drafted the first reaction is to hope that they don't do well because mentally you don't want to know that a player you passed on signing for whatever reason, became that much better and will become the property of some other team...

    but... the first goal, the ultimate goal really (all of the Lemmings hate when you say this), is to identify the talent. what good is a blank check for a player that isn't that good. Was Daniel Moskos worth $2.4 million? Was Matt Morris really worth the $10 million we chose to inherit? You have to identify the talent most importantly, so even if you can't sign them and even if they become the property of another team it's more meaningful to know that good talent was identified by the scouting department
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  14. #14
    JimY's Avatar
    Status : JimY is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Feb 13, 2010
    Location : Steubenville, OH
    Posts : 125
    Threads : 9
    Last Online : Feb-24-2012 @ 06:07 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    I totally get what everyone is saying, and I don't disagree on any particular point but I'm talking bigger picture here.
    If the Pirates hadn't signed Church and Vasquez, and if they had applied that $6 M to the draft budget... Then there is a great chance that Maggi, Hafner, Allie and maybe even Tailon would all have gotten a bigger chunk of that money. The aggressiveness would have resulted in paying certain guys more than it would have taken to get them. Oh well. They still would have gotten 2 or 3 more guys to sign. Maybe it wouldn't have been Kubitza, but they would have gotten more.
    Again, I'm not complaining here because our team spends the most of any team in the draft. I just like the strategy so much I'd like it to be taken to even more of an extreme.

  15. #15
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Austin Kubitza

    Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I totally get what everyone is saying, and I don't disagree on any particular point but I'm talking bigger picture here.
    If the Pirates hadn't signed Church and Vasquez, and if they had applied that $6 M to the draft budget... Then there is a great chance that Maggi, Hafner, Allie and maybe even Tailon would all have gotten a bigger chunk of that money. The aggressiveness would have resulted in paying certain guys more than it would have taken to get them. Oh well. They still would have gotten 2 or 3 more guys to sign. Maybe it wouldn't have been Kubitza, but they would have gotten more.
    Again, I'm not complaining here because our team spends the most of any team in the draft. I just like the strategy so much I'd like it to be taken to even more of an extreme.
    I disagree, sort of

    first off, they had the money to sign Kubitza. there were a couple of other signings that fell through, so the money was obviously there. the Pirates were willing to spend more but they aren't going to just hand out blank checks.

    what it came down to was whether they felt that Kubitza was worth the price he wanted. (there's always a price and value) and Kubitza from everything that was said about him, wanted an enormous amount and the Pirates didn't feel he was worth it.

    I know some hate this term but it's "internal value". the Pirates had enough money to sign 5 Ryan Church's and Austin Kubitza if they felt that the value was worth it. That's the way I look at it at least.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •