Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Burress to leave prison in June

      
  1. #1
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Burress to leave prison in June

    Ex-NY Giants star Burress to leave prison in June
    Sun Mar 6, 2011.

    Former New York Giants Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress is to get out of prison in June, after officials agreed Friday to shave about three months off his time behind bars in a gun case.

    A committee of prison-system staffers decided Burress was eligible for time off for good behavior, so he can be freed after serving about 21 months of his two-year sentence, system spokeswoman Linda Foglia said.

    [IMGL]http://i55.tinypic.com/141uomx.jpg[/IMGL]With Burress' release date now set for June 6, his agent and lawyer said he's looking to return to football _ and a number of teams are looking at him.

    "He's counting the hours," lawyer Peter M. Frankel said. "He's extremely positive."

    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has ruled that Burress would be reinstated and eligible to sign with a team upon completing his sentence. While the league and players are locked in negotiations that have cast a shadow of uncertainty over the sport's next season, Frankel and Burress agent Drew Rosenhaus said several teams had expressed interest in the receiver.

    "The future is very bright for Plaxico," Rosenhaus said in an e-mail.

    Burress, 33, caught the winning touchdown for the Giants over the New England Patriots in the final minute of the 2008 Super Bowl. But his fortunes turned in November of that year, when he went to a Manhattan nightclub with a gun tucked in the waistband of his track pants; he later said he had been concerned for his safety because a teammate had been held up at gunpoint days before.

    Burress' weapon slipped down his leg and fired, injuring him in the thigh. The bullet narrowly missed a security guard, prosecutors said.

    The gun wasn't licensed in New York or New Jersey, where Burress lived, and his Florida concealed-weapons permit had expired. He also failed to report the incident to authorities.

    He pleaded guilty in August 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.

    Held in protective custody at an upstate prison because of his notoriety, Burress was turned down twice in bids for work release. The Manhattan District Attorney's Office, which opposed work release for Burress, declined to comment on Friday's decision.

    Burress had a work assignment in prison and completed an anger management program while incarcerated, his lawyer said.

    He's been tagged with three minor disciplinary problems, including an episode in which corrections officers said Burress lied about having permission to use the phone to call his lawyer at a time when calls weren't permitted, Foglia said. The November 2009 misstep cost him a week of phone privileges and 30 days of recreation privileges.

    Details on the other two incidents weren't immediately available, but none was seen as serious enough to trim his time off for good behavior. His June release date is the earliest allowed under a state law that required him to serve at least six-sevenths of his sentence.

    "He's done his best to abide by" prison rules, Frankel said.

    Giants general manager Jerry Reese has said the team will keep its options open with Burress.

    For now, "we are grateful that Plaxico and his wife, Tiffany, and their children now know when they will be reunited and able to get on with their lives together," team spokesman Pat Hanlon said. "As we have stated many times in the past, we feel that day is long overdue."

    Giants placekicker Lawrence Tynes said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that he thinks of Burress often because his sons attend the same school as Burress' son.

    "He deserves to be back in the NFL and if that opportunity comes from the New York Giants then he will be welcomed back with open arms from us in the locker room," said Tynes, who was on the Super Bowl championship team with Burress. "I've always personally wondered why the Giants never issued his No. 17 jersey to anyone over the past two seasons. If it happens to be with another franchise then I hope he has nothing but good health and success."

    http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...ad847e981.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  2. #2
    Sweetchuck's Avatar
    Status : Sweetchuck is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : You need a ****ing canoe to get to it.
    Posts : 3,100
    Threads : 137
    Last Online : Jan-22-2014 @ 04:02 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    Yeah, the guy's a cement head but he got ****ed. The legal system failed.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

  3. #3
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, the guy's a cement head but he got ****ed. The legal system failed.
    I disagree. Those are the rules. I am happy to see for once that an athlete is not above the law.

  4. #4
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. Those are the rules. I am happy to see for once that an athlete is not above the law.
    I agree with you......
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  5. #5
    Skeeter's Avatar
    Status : Skeeter is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Sharon, PA
    Posts : 5,322
    Threads : 1632
    Last Online : May-17-2015 @ 02:45 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    The illegal posession of a concealed firearm is no small matter.

  6. #6
    Sweetchuck's Avatar
    Status : Sweetchuck is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : You need a ****ing canoe to get to it.
    Posts : 3,100
    Threads : 137
    Last Online : Jan-22-2014 @ 04:02 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    Now be honest - if the same thing happened to Ben, would yinz be so judgmental?
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

  7. #7
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now be honest - if the same thing happened to Ben, would yinz be so judgmental?
    I don't think it's an issue with being judgmental. He got busted, he went to court was found guilty. Do the crime, do the time. If Ben was convicted in court of something then we have no choice but to agree with the punishment. That said folks here and all over Steelers fans and non-Steelers fans where extremely judgmental of Ben and he was not found guilty of anything. It's apples and oranges.

  8. #8
    Sweetchuck's Avatar
    Status : Sweetchuck is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : You need a ****ing canoe to get to it.
    Posts : 3,100
    Threads : 137
    Last Online : Jan-22-2014 @ 04:02 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    The point I'm making is that Plax is easy to dislike here in Pittsburgh. He was easy to dislike when he played here and moreso now that he's gone.

    I don't see justice in taking a guy away from his family, career and giving him hard time for a first offense - a non-violent, victimless offense.

    I tend to think that if this happened to a guy who's popular around these parts, opinions would differ.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

  9. #9
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point I'm making is that Plax is easy to dislike here in Pittsburgh. He was easy to dislike when he played here and moreso now that he's gone.

    I don't see justice in taking a guy away from his family, career and giving him hard time for a first offense - a non-violent, victimless offense.

    I tend to think that if this happened to a guy who's popular around these parts, opinions would differ.
    Well I for one am a Burress fan. I think it was violent just for the fact that a weapon was discharged and someone else could have gotten hurt. The point is there are rules in place and what is the point of rules if they are not enforced? Their hands where tied it was a high profile case and everyone was watching. They couldn't show everyone that the rule was a joke. It took the guy away from his family and livelihood and the same could happen to me or you if we decide to do stupid bull**** but we don't because we think of that before we act. We grown son.

  10. #10
    Irish Goonatic's Avatar
    Status : Irish Goonatic is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Nov 27, 2009
    Posts : 1,990
    Threads : 186
    Last Online : Nov-04-2016 @ 12:45 PM

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    I've no pity for him. What kind of person brings a loaded weapon to a nightclub of all places. He thinks he's a gangster so **** him.
    WATCH GAMES LIVE ON LINKS BELOW

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  11. #11
    BlackNGoldRules's Avatar
    Status : BlackNGoldRules is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts : 7,065
    Threads : 126
    Last Online : Sep-22-2012 @ 11:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Burress to leave prison in June

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Goonatic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've no pity for him. What kind of person brings a loaded weapon to a nightclub of all places. He thinks he's a gangster so **** him.
    I agree with you and I actually liked Plax when he was here. I don't think he was really a troublemaker when he was a Steeler. I think a lot of people want to hate him because he dropped some passes here and there. He also made some big time plays as well which helped us. But, he was stupid for doing what he did. He broke the law and he's doing his time. Hopefully, he'll learn from this and be a better person for it in the end. That'll be up to him once he gets out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •