Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Hire Carnell Lake as Secondary Coach.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Hire Carnell Lake as Secondary Coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11066/1130353-100.stm

Steelers hire Lake as secondary coach
    Monday, March 07, 2011
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Coach Mike Tomlin has hired Carnell Lake as his new secondary coach to replace Ray Horton, now defensive coordinator in Arizona.

Lake was a five-time Pro Bowl safety for the Steelers in the 1990s.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 182

Default Re: Steelers Hire Carnell Lake as Secondary Coach.

sweet now we have lake to their darren perry and DL to their DCapers how fitting. I liked Lake as a player only he can motivate these guys to do well. The difference between winning and losing as we saw in the SB is literally inches.

Threads : 60

Yeah, just read this bit of info at Steeler Nation. Seems to be great news. Time will tell.

Threads : 186

WATCH GAMES LIVE ON LINKS BELOW

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Threads : 1817

Fantastic news. Me and Steelreign were talking about this in PM's and you know, the one thing that was amazing about Lake is how he moved from safety to CB when Woodson was out and you didn't really see a drop off in coverage. A few more INT's, sure, but as far as coverage goes, Carnell Lake was **** good and very underrated. When you can come in on a dime and replace Rod Woodson without really a drop off in production, you're good.

Teaching guys how to "cover" is one of the most important needs of this team. Granted it needs better secondary talent but there were times especially in SB 45 where we had guys not really biting or getting smoked but their coverage was **** poor. They would give up the inside, allow an outside hip or head shake and a variety of other things that were differences between receptions and incompletions or coverage tighht enough to allow pressure on the QB

I'm really really excited about this hire.

It's nice to know that the Tomlin trolls are all pretty much gone or silenced because he's made IMO 2 really good hires the past 2 seasons. This one, replacing a bum that Cowher should never have hired and hiring Sean Kugler last season
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, just read this bit of info at Steeler Nation. Seems to be great news. Time will tell.
    Can't argue there. Time will indeed tell and I'll hope that the FO has performed due diligence.

'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Teaching guys how to "cover" is one of the most important needs of this team. Granted it needs better secondary talent but there were times especially in SB 45 where we had guys not really biting or getting smoked but their coverage was **** poor.
    There were a handful of plays where guys were just a step or two "off" of the play... This was clearly the result of poor technique. If a guy gets "smoked" there is no way that they are in the area of the play. Similiarly, if a guy "bites" and is still a step (or in some cases, a fingertip), away from making a play, it seems that there is a fundamental breakdown in footwork. Hopefully, Lake will be able to coach the fundamentals that made him so successful...

If the DB unit put as much pride and work into proper technique, as they do with their pre-game antics, we will be in good shape! That is, of course, with the addition of some "fresh" talent.
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 60

Fantastic news. Me and Steelreign were talking about this in PM's and you know, the one thing that was amazing about Lake is how he moved from safety to CB when Woodson was out and you didn't really see a drop off in coverage. A few more INT's, sure, but as far as coverage goes, Carnell Lake was **** good and very underrated. When you can come in on a dime and replace Rod Woodson without really a drop off in production, you're good.

Teaching guys how to "cover" is one of the most important needs of this team. Granted it needs better secondary talent but there were times especially in SB 45 where we had guys not really biting or getting smoked but their coverage was **** poor. They would give up the inside, allow an outside hip or head shake and a variety of other things that were differences between receptions and incompletions or coverage tighht enough to allow pressure on the QB

It's nice to know that the Tomlin trolls are all pretty much gone or silenced because he's made IMO 2 really good hires the past 2 seasons. This one, replacing a bum that Cowher should never have hired and hiring Sean Kugler last season
    Trust me KIP if Horton didn't leave on his own he would still be here. Tomlin would have retained his worthless *** just like he is doing with Arians. Hopefully, when he is forced to hire a new offensive coordinator he will look for someone with at least coaching experience.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You spoke to soon.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Trust me KIP if Horton didn't leave on his own he would still be here. [HIGH-LIGHT]Tomlin would have retained his worthless *** just like he is doing with Arians.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Hopefully, when he is forced to hire a new offensive coordinator he will look for someone with at least coaching experience.
    HAHAHA!!! Here we go again!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Trust me KIP if Horton didn't leave on his own he would still be here. Tomlin would have retained his worthless *** just like he is doing with Arians.
    ... But he's NOT here.... Hell I wish ****ing the dickwad Arians went with him, but at least Horton is gone.... And as you know, he was one of my "pet peeves"..... Could be better , but it could be worse....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... But he's NOT here.... Hell I wish ****ing the dickwad Arians went with him, but at least Horton is gone.... And as you know, he was one of my "pet peeves"..... Could be better , but it could be worse....
    Yeah, we could have hired Delton Hall for DB coach.

Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They hired my guy. This was a great hire of a guy whose entire career was built on techniques. Remember, Lake was an ILB coming out of UCLA and converted to Safety and CB and was voted to the Pro-Bowl at both. He focused on technique could go a long way to healing our secondary.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 3263

Man.... It's tough to say.... But he's definitely better than Horton.... He's walked the walk and talked the talk... He has the experience on this team which gives him the benefit of the doubt...

... But honestly.... What is his coaching experience?... He has none to speak of....

As much as I am rooting for him, I also want to see results and not just rhetoric in the press or wherever....

Kudos to the organization for hiring him.... Now... Let's see what the guy can do.....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    They hired my guy. This was a great hire of a guy whose entire career was built on techniques. Remember, Lake was an ILB coming out of UCLA and converted to Safety and CB and was voted to the Pro-Bowl at both. He focused on technique could go a long way to healing our secondary.
    I've always believed that Carnall Lake was one of the most remarkable athletes of all-time. Seriously, the man played LB for a major Division I college program. Upon being drafted by the Steelers, he played the position of SS and was arguably the best SS in the league. And when Rod Woodson went down with a torn ACL, the team called on Lake. Lake shed a few pounds and started at the CB position. Not only did Lake become a starting CB that season, he played the position nearly as well as anyone in the league. The man was a remarkable athlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information