Thread: The Injury Bug Bites

Threads : 8

Default The Injury Bug Bites

McCutchen & McDonald - Hopefully nothing to worry about.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11070/1131312-100.stm

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Injury Bug Bites

Wish they would elaborate ore on what is"left side". Is it upper body or lower body? Hip, shoulder, thigh etc...
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wish they would elaborate ore on what is"left side". Is it upper body or lower body? Hip, shoulder, thigh etc...
    Almost as bad as Hockey injury "updates".

Threads : 197

On the audio broadcast they were saying lower back/left side. Likely an oblique or maybe abdominal thing. It sounded like he wasn't planning on leaving the game immediately, but Hurdle came out and got him as soon as he looked to be in pain. It sounded like it happened in the process of throwing a pitch.

I'm not really sure what happened with the McCutchen injury. He was in on offense one inning then didn't take the field. No one ever noticed anything while he was on the field.

It might be a little while before they say anything more. They were waiting to get back to Bradenton with the team before doing any kind of testing.

Threads : 691

Pirates' Hurdle won't speculate on injuries
    Saturday, March 12, 2011
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazettePirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen is dealing with an injured left wrist.PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. -- The Pirates suffered two key injuries Friday less than an inning apart.

Center fielder Andrew McCutchen left the Grapefruit League game against the Tampa Bay Rays after two innings with an injured left wrist.

And right-handed starter James McDonald departed in the bottom of the third with discomfort in his left side.

McCutchen is considered by many to be the best all-around player on the team; McDonald was expected to be the Pirates' No. 3 starter.

Both returned to Bradenton and were to be re-evaluated later Friday. The Pirates said they would have an update today on the condition of both players.

After the Pirates rallied for an 8-7 victory against the Rays, manager Chris Hurdle said he "didn't know" the severity of the injuries to McCutchen and McDonald.

"One thing I just want to be up front with is, I don't talk about injuries," he said. "We usually make a statement. ... I'm not a doctor. Normally, the information doesn't get accurate until later on. So the reason being [potential] misinformation, I just say that we'll make a comment later."

Pirates spokesman Jim Trdinich said team president Frank Coonelly wouldn't comment on the injuries, although Coonelly attended the game at Charlotte Sports Park.

McCutchen, a former first-round draft pick, was 2 for 2 with a run and an RBI against the Rays. He is batting .280 this spring. McDonald, making his third start of the spring, allowed four hits and two runs (one earned) in two-plus innings. He walked two.

Hurdle declined to speculate on how it might hurt the team if McCutchen and McDonald were to miss an extended period of time.

"I'm not going to answer that," he said. "You guys [the media} speculate. I don't speculate."

McDonald surrendered consecutive hits to Sean Rodriguez and Casey Kotchman to start the third. McDonald had a 2-2 count on Rays catcher Kelly Shoppach when he started to grab his left side.

After consulting with pitching coach Ray Searage, trainer Brad Henderson and Hurdle, McDonald and Henderson walked off the field to the clubhouse.

McDonald, whom the Pirates acquired in July from the Los Angeles Dodgers in the deal involving closer Octavio Dotel, has a 4.05 ERA this spring. McDonald was supposed to pitch four innings Friday.

"He was disappointed he had to leave," Hurdle said. "We want him to get in that rhythm, where he's aggressive, like we saw last time out, establishing the fastball, then using the curveball and maybe mix in some changeups."

In other injury-related news, catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit didn't make the trip after he tweaked his right oblique two days ago in a batting practice session, although the team didn't announce it until Thursday.

Doumit, who has been on the trading block this spring with a salary of $5.1 million, said his injury is not serious.

"It feels like a bee sting," he said.

The Pirates say Doumit will be re-examined again Wednesday and will be unavailable for game activity until further notice.

"I'm hoping the next couple of days I will get back out there," Doumit said.

Left-handed pitcher Scott Olsen, expected to compete for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation, completed his second batting practice session Friday morning at Pirate City without issue. But he has yet to pitch in a game this spring.

And left-handed reliever Joe Beimel (sore forearm) threw about 30 pitches in batting practice Friday at McKechnie Field. He is expected to make his spring training debut Monday against the Baltimore Orioles in Sarasota.

Buried treasure
    • Left-hander Bryan Burres, who entered the game in place of McDonald, kept his scoreless streak intact. He has allowed just five hits in nine innings of work this spring. He has five strikeouts and four walks, which all came against the Rays.

• Third baseman Pedro Alvarez continued his hot spring, going 1 for 3 with an RBI double. He is batting .310.

• The Pirates will play split-squad games today. Ross Ohlendorf will pitch the first four innings against the Philadelphia Phillies in Bradenton. He will be followed by Jose Veras (one or two innings), Aaron Thompson (two) and Tyler Yates (one). Jeff Locke will pitch the first two innings of the other game against the Toronto Blue Jays in Dunedin. Also expected to pitch are Sean Gallagher (two or three), Daniel McCutchen (two), Ramon Aguero (one) and Mike Crotta (two or three).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11071...#ixzz1GNo8lbhm
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

McCutchen OK, to start for Pirates today
    Saturday, March 12, 2011
    By Ron Musselman , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    BRADENTON, Fla.--The Pirates received some good news today.

Center fielder Andrew McCutchen said X-rays on his left wrist were negative and he is scheduled to start the Pirates' split-squad game in Dunedin against the Toronto Blue Jays.

"It's not serious at all," McCutchen said. "The doctor said there may be some nerve irritation around that area. I wasn't nervous as far as it might be broken or fractured.

"I was just more curious as to what it might be that was making my wrist feel like that."

Starting pitcher James McDonald, likely to be the No. 3 starter, isn't sure if he will have to miss a spring start after experiencing discomfort in his left side during Friday's outing against the Tampa Bay Rays at Port Charlotte.

"They're not going to let me do nothing on field today," McDonald said. "But I feel like I can, like I'm capable of doing it."

The Pirates issued a statement saying McDonald will be re-evaluated over the next few days.

Also, the Pirates made four roster moves today, all involving pitchers. They now have 54 players in the major league camp.

They optioned Bryan Morris to Class AAA Indianapolis and Kyle McPherson to high-Class A Bradenton, and reassigned Rudy Owens and Justin Wilson to their minor league camp.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11071...#ixzz1GOlkyVgg

Threads : 413

Glad that 'Cutch is OK and it sounds like McDonald is not serious. It's a long season so being cautious is the smart thing to do. Sending Morris down was somewhat of a surprise. He seemed to be throwing really well.

PS, Ya beat me to it buccoray, so I'll delete the article. Do I still get style points though?

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Also, the Pirates made four roster moves today, all involving pitchers. They now have 54 players in the major league camp.

They optioned Bryan Morris to Class AAA Indianapolis and Kyle McPherson to high-Class A Bradenton, and reassigned Rudy Owens and Justin Wilson to their minor league camp.

McPherson is a guy to watch.....he could be a sleepr breakout player this year.

Threads : 197

Cutch has a double and a homer in 2 ABs so far today. I think his wrist is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    PS, Ya beat me to it buccoray, so I'll delete the article. Do I still get style points though?
    How bout an A for effort!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information