Thread: Power loses inaugural game

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Power loses inaugural game

Arena Football League: Power loses inaugural game

Friday, March 11, 2011
    By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lynn Swann has promised that the Pittsburgh Power would provide an exciting brand of arena football, lots of points scored -- more than 100, in fact -- a night of affordable family entertainment and fun and, at least on opening night, clearly delivered all of that to the delight of a crowd of 13,904 at the Consol Energy Center.

The crowd was loud, festive and fun, the football was fast and furious, the hits were hard as promised and Swann, who is part owner of the team, addressed the crowd at halftime last night of the Power's inaugural game versus the Philadelphia Soul and thanked the fans for their support.

"Thank you," Swann said, "With a great start like this, we'll have a fantastic finish at the end of the season."

Although the fans were treated to an exciting game and the Power certainly provided them with a lot of bang for their entertainment bucks, the one thing the home team was unable to deliver was a victory, but not for lack of trying.

The game, however, wasn't decided until Philadelphia's Mike Brown intercepted a Bernard Morris pass in overtime and returned it 15 yards for a touchdown and a 58-52 Soul win.

The Power, though, deserve a lot of credit for just getting to overtime because to do that required a minor miracle and a gritty comeback.

Pittsburgh trailed 50-41 with less than two minutes to play and looked every bit like a team which was going to run out of time until Morris hit Jason Willis with a 7-yard touchdown pass and then Pittsburgh converted the 2-point conversion to pull the Power to within 50-49 with 53 seconds to play.

The onside kick was recovered by the Soul on the Power 5 but four plays yielded only three yards and since the Power had all three of their time-outs left, they were able to take possession on their own 2 with 32 seconds to play.

However, Morris was sacked in his own endzone and the Soul got two points for a safety what appeared to be game-sealing play as there was only 20 seconds remaining.

But Pittsburgh recovered its onside kick, Morris completed two quick passes for first downs and then Paul Edinger kicked a 37-yard field goal as time expired to tie the score and get the game it into overtime.

The Power got the crowd into the game almost immediately as Morris hit Jason Willis with a 37-yard touchdown pass on the team's second play from scrimmage, less than 90 seconds into the game.

The Soul quickly tied the game at 7-7 with a 3-play, 47-yard drive but Morris found former Aliquippa standout Mike Washington with a 21-yard touchdown pass and Lonnell Dewalt with a 14-yard touchcdown pass on consecutive drives and Pittsburgh led 21-7 at the end of the first quarter.

Philadelphia opened the second quarter scoring with a 5-yard touchdown pass from Allgood to Donovan Morgan but once again the Power answered with a 2-yard run by Duquesne graduate Joshua Rue.

The Soul then scored the final ten points of the second quarter -- on a 2-yard run by Donovan Morgan and an 18-yard field goal by Paul James -- and then opened the second half scoring with an 8-play drive and took their first lead of the game -- 30-27 - on a 1-yard touchdown run by back-up quarterback Ryan Vena.

Philadelphia then held the Power on a fourth-and-10 and took over at the Power 20 and needed only one play to take a ten-point lead, 37-27, and it looked like the Soul would roll.

But two plays later the Power pulled back to within 37-34 on a 5-yard pass from Morris to Dewalt.

Power coach Chris Siegfried took the first of many gambles on the night - a surprise onside kick on the ensuing kickoff -- but it ended up blowing up in his face when the Power, who recovered the ball, were ruled offsides and that meant the Soul took possession at the Power 3.

Allgood then found Morgan with a 3-yard touchdown pass and a 44-34 Soul lead on the first play of the fourth quarter but the Power answered with a 1-yard touchdown run by Rue with 11:08 to play.

The two teams then traded turnovers and the Soul cashed in on theirs when Allgood found Morgan with a 17-yard touchdown pass with from Allgood to Morgan with 5:55 to play.

Paul James missed the extra point, but the Soul remained ahead by two scores, 50-41, and that's when the Power mounted their comeback to tie the game.
    Paul Zeise: pzeise@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1720.

First published on March 11, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11070...#ixzz1GMNMyB00

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Power loses inaugural game

It looked like a fun game to see in person and the tickets are cheap - I might go down to one of the games this year.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looked like a fun game to see in person and the tickets are cheap - I might go down to one of the games this year.
    Adam we are considering coming up, so if we do, I will let you know and see if you would like to come along.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Cheers, mate! $15 for the cheap seats - it's got to be a tempter.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 126

I'm going to go to a couple of games myself this year. It'll me, my wife, her parents and my parents. They'll be Mother's and Father's Day gifts from us to them. Funny seeing that football field in Consol Energy Center and I'll be there watching a hockey game tomorrow!

Threads : 215

We are going to try to attend a game, while I'm off work. It really was an exciting experience on the tv!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know I am hooked after what I saw on TV. I really do hope they get the fan support to keep them around. What an exciting debut for a Power team that seems to have never quit Pittsburgh football attitude.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I am going to try to go to a game. Why not? It's a good team, the game is fun to watch and it's a great arena. 15 bucks no sweat. A friend of mine went to this game he said it was awesome.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Yeah I am going to try to go to a game. Why not? It's a good team, the game is fun to watch and it's a great arena. 15 bucks no sweat. A friend of mine went to this game he said it was awesome.
    Me too. I told the wife the other day how cheap tickets were. I said "this might be our best chance to sit in the lower bowl at the arena any time soon"
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

I got to sit in the lower bowl. Just go when the play cbus with a wbs lineup. I want to go sit up higher next time. My buddy sat in the endzone by the net 2 for 50 bucks. It looks like on tv no one wants those seats. They were all empty. The cheap seats where filled tho. Imo for the power they should just make all the seats 15 first come first serve. Sell that ***** out but what the hell do I know? But they should be smarter, there was no season last year. Seems like some fragility there.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I got to sit in the lower bowl. Just go when the play cbus with a wbs lineup. I want to go sit up higher next time. My buddy sat in the endzone by the net 2 for 50 bucks. It looks like on tv no one wants those seats. They were all empty. The cheap seats where filled tho. Imo for the power they should just make all the seats 15 first come first serve. Sell that ***** out but what the hell do I know? But they should be smarter, there was no season last year. Seems like some fragility there.
    The upper bowl seats are scary ****. They are super steep. Put it this way, I wear a Size 10 shoe and with my heel all the way back against the step, my foot stuck over. The pitch is ridiculous. Id hate to sit in front of some drunk holding a draft in those seats, you are literally on top of each other. I was sprinkled with beer all night when I went to see Bon Jovi from the people behind me. When they stood, their arms and such were right over top of me.

I wanna sit in El Sid' seats in the lower bowl

im with ya $15 bucks, first come first serve. You make more with more seats filled than with half the arena filled at $25 bucks a pop on average (if it's even that). What the Penjs did with all of those $20 student rush tickets years ago is the right idea. Get people into the arena
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Size 10 shoes get an overhang on the step? Egad! That's a frightening train of thought in motion for me... Not great with heights on occasions, that could be an additionally unsettling moment. Doesn't mean I won't give it a shot, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The upper bowl seats are scary ****. They are super steep. Put it this way, I wear a Size 10 shoe and with my heel all the way back against the step, my foot stuck over. The pitch is ridiculous. Id hate to sit in front of some drunk holding a draft in those seats, you are literally on top of each other. I was sprinkled with beer all night when I went to see Bon Jovi from the people behind me. When they stood, their arms and such were right over top of me.

I wanna sit in El Sid' seats in the lower bowl

im with ya $15 bucks, first come first serve. You make more with more seats filled than with half the arena filled at $25 bucks a pop on average (if it's even that). What the Penjs did with all of those $20 student rush tickets years ago is the right idea. Get people into the arena
    I hear ya. I actually had a tough time following the action near the nets. Was sitting close to the penalty box. But I bet further back within the bowl would be ideal. We were pretty close to the bar which was nice. Not sure what the situation is up there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information