Thread: Statement from Art Rooney II

Threads : 691

Default Statement from Art Rooney II

Statement from Art Rooney II
    Posted 2 hours ago

aaI am very disappointed that we were not successful in reaching an agreement with the Players Association in the round of mediation that the Players Association walked away from on Friday. The NFL Owners put a very fair offer on the table that we felt provided the framework for completing an agreement.

The NFL is willing to negotiate an agreement that is fair to the players, our teams and our fans. We do not believe the decertification of the Players Association is a legitimate bargaining tactic, and we have asked the National Labor Relations Board to review the conduct of the Players Association.

I can assure our fans that we are committed to negotiating an agreement that will allow us to get back to football as soon as possible. I remain optimistic that eventually cooler heads will prevail and we will be back at the bargaining table in the near future.
    http://http://www.steelers.com/news/...d-529ef75f55cd
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Statement from Art Rooney II

I have but one word to say, "GREED"

Threads : 3263

We do not believe the decertification of the Players Association is a legitimate bargaining tactic, and we have asked the National Labor Relations Board to review the conduct of the Players Association.

The NLRB is a crock of **** that is just an extention of the current governing body of our country... I could be wrong, but I do not believe that it has been substantially tested with the current administration, so this should be interesting to me... I will say that the NLRB is fairly "anti" union in their decisions for the most part... At least from my personal experiences... On three separate occasions it (the NLRB) had a different interpretation of the Railway Labor Act and prevented at least two strikes that were lawfully authorized by my union...

Even though the players had voted to decertify their union, the NLRB could rule that decision null-and-void, thus preventing further actions or lawsuits by individual players or groups of them. It would effectively handcuff the players to not do anything but bargain with the owners as a collective group without fear of repercussion to the owners.

... This will be getting very interesting...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 3263

According to the AP, here is what the NFL released as its latest proposal to the NFLPA. It should give you an idea of what they're looking at as future salary caps.

1. We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the union’s proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).

2. An entry-level compensation system based on the union’s “rookie cap” proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs. Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today. Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.

3. A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player’s salary for the contract year after his injury the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multiyear injury guarantee.

4. Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by: reducing the offseason program by five weeks, reducing OTAs (organized team activities) from 14 to 10 and limiting on-field practice time and contact; limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season; and increasing number of days off for players.

5. Commit that any change to an 18-game season will be made only by agreement and that the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be played under the current 16-game format.

6. Owner funding of $82 million in 2011-12 to support additional benefits to former players, which would increase retirement benefits for more than 2,000 former players by nearly 60 percent.

7. Offer current players the opportunity to remain in the player medical plan for life.

8. Third-party arbitration for appeals in the drug and steroid programs.

9. Improvements in the Mackey plan (designed for players suffering from dementia and other brain-related problems), disability plan and degree-completion bonus program.

10. A per-club cash minimum spend of 90 percent of the salary cap over three seasons.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information