Thread: Roster moves

Threads : 22

Default Roster moves

From the PG today...

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN TAMPA AND ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.

Just landed, on the way to the game. I am riding shotgun with Dejan driving. Some news ...

Pitchers Jeff Locke, Aaron Thompson and Ramon Aguero were optioned to Class AA Altoona.

Pitchers Daniel Moskos and Tony Watson, outfielders Gorkys Hernandez and Alex Presley were optioned to Class AAA Indianapolis.

Infielders Chase d'Arnaud and Brian Friday, along with outfielder Andrew Lambo were reassigned to minor league camp.

There are now 44 players remaining in big league camp.

Threads : 197

Default Re: Roster moves

Jen Langosch's notes piece today adds that Andrew Lambo and Chase d'Arnaud will be going to Indy as well. I think Hernandez, Lambo, Locke, and d'Arnaud were some of the bigger question marks on where they would start the season. Sounds like Locke will head back to AA to start and everyone else is going to AAA. I think the other question might be Justin Wilson. I didn't see an official report on an assignment for him.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jen Langosch's notes piece today adds that Andrew Lambo and Chase d'Arnaud will be going to Indy as well. I think Hernandez, Lambo, Locke, and d'Arnaud were some of the bigger question marks on where they would start the season. Sounds like Locke will head back to AA to start and everyone else is going to AAA. I think the other question might be Justin Wilson. I didn't see an official report on an assignment for him.
    I didn't see much on Justin Wilson in general now that you mention it.

Really narrowing the roster down and getting to the point where we start seeing the "competition" parts of Spring Training which will be bench/utility and bullpen
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 36

Wilson will be in Altoona. He has severe control issues. If he can get better command he will move up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    Wilson will be in Altoona. He has severe control issues. If he can get better command he will move up quickly.
    That's a good point you make.

According to Hutnington and Starks they put more of an emphasis on tasks rather than specific stats in order to move up levels. Justin Wilson is a a great example of a case where you run into this situation.

for instance, you mentioned his poor control and you're right, his control is terrible. He posted a 4.5 BB/9 last year which is a good 1.5 higher than you would like to see.

On the other hand he posted up a 3.09 ERA, an extremely good 6.9 H/9 and a very good K/9 of 8.5 . Basically when he's not walking players, he's dominating. With his really really high Walk rate, his WHIP was only 1.26 and Whip is a number based off of Hits and Walks. Because his Hits against was so low it erased bad Walk numbers by a huge margin.

So the question is, are they going to keep him back down in AA to fix those BB issues or did they see enough from everything else he did to promote him to AAA? What exactly is the requirement?

Threads : 36

Wilson will be in AA because the FO knows he can't be successful at the higher levels until he gets better command. His walk rate at the upper levels would only go up as more disciplined batters would be more likely to lay off of pitches out of the zone.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wilson should be in AAA and face adversity and overcome it. If Lup thinks Wilson isn't a key for the Pirates future he's wrong...getting him right is of the utmost importance because he's got the big game winner mentality and has the K potential as a left hander that puts him among the more/most dominant LH'ers in baseball. Wilson is very important and he needs to overcome the walks, but do it by making him face adversity.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Wilson should be in AAA and face adversity and overcome it. If Lup thinks Wilson isn't a key for the Pirates future he's wrong...getting him right is of the utmost importance because he's got the big game winner mentality and has the K potential as a left hander that puts him among the more/most dominant LH'ers in baseball. Wilson is very important and he needs to overcome the walks, but do it by making him face adversity.
    I forgot about wilson being a lefty. You're right, that when you have a lefty with that sort of K/9 power, he's a little more valuable since he's a pretty rare commodity at a position that itself lacks quality without a high K guy.

Here's the thing also. What is adversity? to me, there's no adversity in promoting a guy if you don't think a specific part of his game is lagging. It's a promotion. Adversity to me, would be forcing him to stay behind at AA to improve those BB numbers while the rest of his game doesn't drop. Mentally he would be ****ed and disappointed which creates adversity

Threads : 35

Langosch notes that Locke is not necessarily a lock for Altoona, and still could end up in AAA.

Last year was his highest BB rate...let the kid try it out at AAA...he's a high K lefty with upside.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Lets talk a bit about Wilson. (I need to say here and now since it may seem otherwise I do not DISLIKE Owens and I think that he has good upside and will likely be a good mlb starter...I just think that IF Owens can reach his potential he'll be a higher profile starter).

Despite seeing a rise in his BB/9 (4.3 to 4.5) he also saw a significant rise in K9 from 7.3 to 8.5.

Look at some of the best left handers in the majors and how they did in the minors:
    Francisco Liriano: around 3.3-3.5 BB/9 and 9-10 K/9
    Jon Lester: 3.8 BB/9 and 8-9 K/9
    Scott Kazmir: 3.4-4.0 BB/9 and 10-12 K/9
    Clayton Kershaw: 3.0 BB/9 and 10.5-12.0 K/9
    Jaimie Garcia: 3.3 BB/9 and 8-9 K/9
    Cole Hamels: 3.5 BB/9 and 11-12 K/9

Wilson profiles well and so does Owens in relation to some of these guys. Now, I would not go so far as to guarantee that either would end up being the caliber of these other HORSES, but I would say that Pirate fans should be happy with these two guys and understand how big they could be...Wilson has the intangible elements in terms of makeup and mentality etc...if he can lower that BB even into the 3.5-3.8 range and keep his k/9 around 8.5 then his bb/k will go up to around 2.5 and his other pitching stats would indicate he'd do pretty well.

Anyways, Owens and Wilson are two of the better lefties we've had in a while...both better than the Duke and Maholm duo and aren't simply soft-tossing lefties.

Anyways...
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information