Thread: A Nyjer Morgan update

Threads : 22

Default A Nyjer Morgan update

A Nyjer Morgan update - you know, the guy people thought we got ripped off for.

A word on Nyjer Morgan's status
    By Adam Kilgore
    Today is something of a deadline for major league teams. By the end of March 13, if teams release a player not on a guaranteed contract - which covers most players with less than three years of major league experience -they will then owe that player only 30 days of his major league salary. (If they release the player before March 28, then it's only 45 days' pay.)

So, if a surprise release were going to come out of the blue - like Elijah Dukes last season - chances are good it would happen today. As it pertains to this year's Nationals, the deadline is basically irrelevant. From what I've been told, they're not planning on releasing anybody.

Several readers and commenters have wondered if Nyjer Morgan might meet a fate similar to Dukes. It's not happening, and it wouldn't make much sense if it did. The reason teams release players is if they need a roster spot or if they simply don't want a corrosive player around. That doesn't apply to the Nationals and doesn't apply to Morgan.

Morgan declined last season, when he hit .253 with a .319 on-base percentage and a .314 slugging percentage while leading the league in caught stealing and running into numerous on-field controversies. He's off to a slow start this spring, hitting .192 (5 for 26) with a .300 on-base percentage and a .231 slugging percentage. Yesterday, General Manager Mike Rizzo implied Roger Bernadina and Rick Ankiel are deadlocked with Morgan for the center field competition.

None of that is reason to flat-out release a player, particularly one with a minor league option remaining who has experienced previous success. In 2009, Morgan hit .307/.369/.388 and played defense at an elite level. He notched 4.9 Wins Above Replacement per FanGraphs.com, virtually the same value Jayson Werth produced each of the past two seasons. The Nationals believe the real Morgan lies somewhere between the star of 2010 and the debacle of 2010.

The Nationals possess a crowded outfield with Michael Morse, Rick Ankiel, Jayson Werth and Roger Bernadina likely to make the team, with veteran pinch-hitter Matt Stairs also in the mix. If Morgan does not improve his play as the regular season advances, the Nationals could still option him to the minors. It would be and unlikely and somewhat extreme measure for a player who, at 30, has probably reached the end of his development. But the Nationals have the choice.

Coaches and officials have praised Morgan's attitude this spring. He arrived in Viera two weeks early already in shape, with what he described as a fresh mindset. Every morning before batting practice, Morgan works on base running, defense or both with new third base coach Bo Porter. Morgan might not be playing well (which is hardly tell-tale 14 games into spring training). But he is giving the Nationals no cause to just give up on him before the season starts.

By Adam Kilgore | March 13, 2011; 9:27 AM ET

Threads : 8

Default Re: A Nyjer Morgan update

I hope everything works out for Nyjer. I always liked him.

Having said that - I had no problem with the trade.

Threads : 2

Even though Lastings Milledge never came close to reaching his "potential" while playing for the Bucs, it will always be a good trade in my opinion. Sacrificing a player of Morgan's potential for someone of Milledge's, is worth the risk. Or put another way, if I could trade a player with the limited ceiling for a younger player with a much higher ceiling but potentially lower floor, I make that trade every day. Throw in a Joel Hanrahan type for the small price of a LOOGY, and it's a no brainer.

Although I've heard Milledge looks good in the White Sox's camp.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Willton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even though Lastings Milledge never came close to reaching his "potential" while playing for the Bucs, it will always be a good trade in my opinion. Sacrificing a player of Morgan's potential for someone of Milledge's, is worth the risk. Or put another way, if I could trade a player with the limited ceiling for a younger player with a much higher ceiling but potentially lower floor, I make that trade every day. Throw in a Joel Hanrahan type for the small price of a LOOGY, and it's a no brainer.

Although I've heard Milledge looks good in the White Sox's camp.
    I still am om the fence about giving up on milledge. The kid worked hard here both as a player and a person nut he hit well. He was an average to above average hitter who showed at a point in his career that he has the power. His defense wasnt great but the ability was there with good coaching. I just hate to see us give up on a younger guy with his potential. He could "get it" when he hits his prime.

I was a fan of the trade and completely agree thay those are goo trades to make. Trading a low ceiling older guy for a higher ceiling young guy is a low risk high reward gamnle that doesnt hurt you either way but has the potential panning out positively. Nyjer Morgan had no future here. Hes not a corner OFer with his power and we have mccutchen
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    A Nyjer Morgan update - you know, the guy people thought we got ripped off for.
    Nyjer Morgan having the same WAR numbers as Jayson werth is a good reason why i ignore that stat and anyome that tries to preach it as any sort of absolute
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

Even with Milledge not working out, I make that trade everyday and twice on Sunday!

Threads : 36

Here's my update on Morgan. HE STINKS.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    Here's my update on Morgan. HE STINKS.
    C'mon, how do you really feel?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I still am om the fence about giving up on milledge. The kid worked hard here both as a player and a person nut he hit well. He was an average to above average hitter who showed at a point in his career that he has the power. His defense wasnt great but the ability was there with good coaching. I just hate to see us give up on a younger guy with his potential. He could "get it" when he hits his prime.

I was a fan of the trade and completely agree thay those are goo trades to make. Trading a low ceiling older guy for a higher ceiling young guy is a low risk high reward gamnle that doesnt hurt you either way but has the potential panning out positively. Nyjer Morgan had no future here. Hes not a corner OFer with his power and we have mccutchen
    I agree. The Bucs so often stay with guys with less ceiling for a lot longer than they did with Lastings..When he was drafted I remember him being touted as a legitimate 4 or 5 tool guy and the problem was he was thrown into the starting lineup by the Mets way before he was ready. He really worked hard after coming to the Pirates. Coaching and management can obviously evaluate talent much better than I can but when they let him go it seemed to be somewhat of a head scratcher at the time.
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Milledge had the tools but he didn't have the smarts. He was a liability in the field. He took poor routes and made terrible decisions with the ball in his hands. He was a train wreck on the base paths.

Even if his bat improved, I don't think the Pirates felt it would ever be enough to overcome his complete lack of fundamentals.

Giving up on him was a head scratcher only because they have no other corner outfield prospects pushing for his job. But I don't necessarily fault them for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information