Thread: Phenomenal Article On Luis Heredia

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Phenomenal Article On Luis Heredia

This kid is awesome.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11075/1132247-63.stm

This quote stuck out for me.

Heredia's form has been impressive enough that even Jameson Taillon, the Pirates' flame-throwing No. 1 pitching prospect, is observing him closely.

"I'm three years older, but I've actually learned a lot from him," Taillon said. "I'm a power guy, but I kind of drop in my arm slot and drive with my legs, so the coaches are trying to get me to use my 6-6 height better. Luis does it better than anybody here."

Taillon motioned with his right arm straight up.

"This kid is coming from the clouds!"

Taillon and two other top pitching prospects, Stetson Allie and Nick Kingham, have befriended Heredia, and he has embraced that in part because of a wish to learn more about America.

Threads : 215

Default Re: Phenomenal Article On Luis Heredia

Great story! Hope all works out!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This kid will succeed because he has the right attitude to go along with the tools.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This kid will succeed because he has the right attitude to go along with the tools.
    it certainly seems like he has a chance. I just hope he understands patience and how it will take time for his development. Sort of typical from a 16-yr old with money in his pocket. Buys a house, wants a Lexus. Just remember the big picture, Luis.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Up at 6:00am and running five miles is a big indicator of his work ethic.

A lot of times you see young guys with that much talent coasting.

That doesn't seem to be the case with Heredia
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 1817

That talent and maturity is why management's plan for 2011 -- though not yet formally announced -- is to assign Heredia to Bradenton of the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, an extraordinary step for a player his age. The Pirates are known to have had only one previous 16-year-old at that level in the past 40 years.
    **** that's some serious Fast tracking. The pressure that will be on this kid is going to be very daunting. 16 years old at that level is very rare. If it doesn't work out for him, I hope that mentally it doesn't cause a negative affect.

Heredia threw six different pitches in Mexico, but the Pirates have him focusing on the fastball, curveball and changeup. Fastball command, as with all young prospects in the system, is the top priority.
    6 pitches? ****. I remember learning how to pitch. I learned them all. I wanted to. I always figured especially at that age that the more pitches you knew, the more options you had and if one pitch didn't work, well ****, you had 5 others to fall back on

Heredia's form has been impressive enough that even Jameson Taillon, the Pirates' flame-throwing No. 1 pitching prospect, is observing him closely.

"I'm three years older, but I've actually learned a lot from him," Taillon said. "I'm a power guy, but I kind of drop in my arm slot and drive with my legs, so the coaches are trying to get me to use my 6-6 height better. Luis does it better than anybody here."

Taillon motioned with his right arm straight up.

"This kid is coming from the clouds!"
    That's impressive and telling. Impressive that Taillon himself can admit to learning from a young guy shows that he lacks an ego. Also impressive that our #1 pick of 2010 finds a 16 year old much more polished in delivery aspects than him.

"you'd never know he's 16 until you get to the locker room and see that he's got no armpit hair, "
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 158

Yeah...I am really impressed by Tallion's wit and make-up.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The pitching future is promising even if it is not complete and could definitely use more quality arms.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    The pitching future is promising even if it is not complete and could definitely use more quality arms.
    gotta Draft them or hope that what we have now can produce better than expectations which happens often enough. as for the Quality arms as far as high projections are... only way we get them is by drafting and developing ourselves or draftingh well and developing well, prospects that we can exchange in a trade, in which case we have to have already started turning the page with what we have before that sort of gamble takes place.

I really want to see what these kids promoted to AAA do this season. Each one has the potential to project higher. Guys like Rudy Owens already have.

What do you think?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 2

I can't wait to follow him through the minor leagues.

He's gonna be somethin special.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    gotta Draft them or hope that what we have now can produce better than expectations which happens often enough. as for the Quality arms as far as high projections are... only way we get them is by drafting and developing ourselves or draftingh well and developing well, prospects that we can exchange in a trade, in which case we have to have already started turning the page with what we have before that sort of gamble takes place.

I really want to see what these kids promoted to AAA do this season. Each one has the potential to project higher. Guys like Rudy Owens already have.

What do you think?
    Yeah, the above all seems right to me. I think Morris, Owens, and Wilson are the guys to watch right now in AAA.

For me I see Morris and Wilson as middle of next year call-ups while I see Owens as a possible late season/early next season call up. Owens for me projects as a +Maholm while Wilson and Morris would make a pretty good 3-4 or 2-3 to team up with McDonald...I think that ultimately if Wilson can get his BB down then you'll see him probably have good upside...even if you project Taillon and others into the rotation.
    Last edited by BigBen2112; Mar-16-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Yeah, the above all seems right to me. I think Morris, Owens, and Wilson are the guys to watch right now in AAA.

For me I see Morris and Wilson as middle of next year call-ups while I see Owens as a possible late season/early next season call up. Owens for me projects as a +Maholm while Wilson and Morris would make a pretty good 3-4 or 2-3 to team up with McDonald...I think that ultimately if Wilson can get his BB down then you'll see him probably have good upside...even if you project Taillon and others into the rotation.
    Pirate pitching has never looked this promising. With Morris, Owens, Wilson, and Locke knocking on the door and all the young guys from the last two drafts, it's exciting to watch all these guys advance. We still need a bat to come through the system (Rendon?) with right handed power. With pitching being the emphasis in the last two drafts, I'd love to see some high impact bats in the system.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

6 pitches? ****. I remember learning how to pitch. I learned them all. I wanted to. I always figured especially at that age that the more pitches you knew, the more options you had and if one pitch didn't work, well ****, you had 5 others to fall back on

I can't throw six pitches with a wiffle ball.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information