Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Know It's Spring Training, But....

Threads : 277

Default I Know It's Spring Training, But....

We have basically the same team in the field as we closed with last September, but some new pitchers who we all hope do well.

We'll need much better pitching and defense in 2011.

But, unless I am missing it, no pitcher seems to look any better than he did last year, save Morton, and a few look worse (or worse than they are supposed to look).

Is anyone else concerned or is it, "Hey, none of this matters until April."

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I Know It's Spring Training, But....

Not concerned yet, spring training is just training. The biggest thing we have going for us this year is growth. Lets see what the young blood can give us

Threads : 277

I assume "young blood" refers to Cutch, Walker, Alvarez, and Tabata.

They are our "given" position players.

i was thinking about our hurlers.

We don't have the hitting--even if those above four continue to "grow" to win many 13-9 games (like the Pirates of the eraly 70's, my favorites Bucco teams), so who in Bradenton this spring is going to come on and throw the ball hard and for strikes.

That's what i don't see.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have basically the same team in the field as we closed with last September, but some new pitchers who we all hope do well.

We'll need much better pitching and defense in 2011.

But, unless I am missing it, no pitcher seems to look any better than he did last year, save Morton, and a few look worse (or worse than they are supposed to look).

Is anyone else concerned or is it, "Hey, none of this matters until April."
    At this point in spring Training, you can't really evaluate performances. C.C. Sabathia has a 4.66 ERA and a WHIP over 1.30 right now. When you get these guys throwing in their last couple performances before the season starts they will start throwing all of their pitches and using more of a game mentality. Right now, we have no idea what's being worked on.

for instace, in one outting the coach could tell a pitcher to not throw a specific pitch so that he can focus on the others. Or, the coach coud have a pitcher throw mroe of a specific pitch to gain more confidence and work on it's location.

There's so many variables that go into Spring Training. These aren't really true scrimmages, they are games involving competitive players but most of the players are generally working on some specifics and use the games to put them to work. We as fans sit back and evaluate them based on the statistical performances while the coaches are generally evaluating other things.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I assume "young blood" refers to Cutch, Walker, Alvarez, and Tabata.

They are our "given" position players.

i was thinking about our hurlers.

We don't have the hitting--even if those above four continue to "grow" to win many 13-9 games (like the Pirates of the eraly 70's, my favorites Bucco teams), so who in Bradenton this spring is going to come on and throw the ball hard and for strikes.

That's what i don't see.
    It's not a sexy staff but if it plays to it's potential it can be average and average would boost this team by a lot of games.

Look at what the Pirates were able to do at home last year at PNC Park : 40-41 . It's not like they played lesser competition at home, they played most fo the same teams and players.

The potential is there, we just need IMO the coaching staff to get it out of all of them. Granted there will be a guy that regresses and a guy that performs better than expectations. We just can't have what we had last year where Maholm had one of his worst seasons, Morton regressed badly (perhaps not having the sinker hurt him), Ohlendorf due to poor offseason conditioning and injuries for a lot of the year regressed, Duke was and is useless without an All-Star middle infield defense...

We can't have all of that but each guy (replace Duke with Correia) is better than what was displayed last year.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see a different team simply because Hurdle has brought a whole different flavor to the lineup in terms of how this team is going to play. The aggression on the base paths will certainly lead to more scoring more runs and forcing more errors by the opposition and therefore extend innings. I can certainly see the pitching staff being more effective pitching with more leads instead of from a hole a majority of the time.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I see a different team simply because Hurdle has brought a whole different flavor to the lineup in terms of how this team is going to play. The aggression on the base paths will certainly lead to more scoring more runs and forcing more errors by the opposition and therefore extend innings. I can certainly see the pitching staff being more effective pitching with more leads instead of from a hole a majority of the time.
    The one thing Hurdle seems to have the pitching staff really focusing on is holding runners. One problem we really seemed to have last year was holding runners. A good pitcher can allow a base runner and get out of the inning. It felt like as soon as one of our pitchers got a base runner they had a melt down, like they were scared. We allowed the most Earnwed Runs and the 2nd most hits in all of MLB when we allowed a Runner on Base. We weren't even one of the worst teams with runners on base in commanding Strike Outs but we allowed a lot of Hits and runs. Teams hit .271 against the Pirates starters with Runners on Base. Only the royals were worse at .274.

So I think that getting better in this area should help. to what extent is anyone's guess. We were a league's worst with bases empty giving up a .279 Batting Average against. the next worst was .268. Both areas need help

Threads : 24

I was at the Orioles v Pirates game in Bradenton yesterday. Ohlendorf was fantastic for the first two innings; no one was getting much wood on the ball at all. Third inning --and I know it's just spring training--was a very typical Ohlendorf inning. Got a runner on and then started getting behind on all the hitters. Nibble, nibble, nibble, and bam, six runs have scored. Same inning: two shoddy defensive plays by Cedeno; the guy is a great athlete but he lacks the kind of baseball instincts and infield leadership that you really need in a shorstop. I wish they could've upgraded at that position but I guess the options were limited.

I've been down here for Spring Training in four out of the last five years. Got my whole family, and extended family here, so I can't do baseball the whole time (hope to get out to Pirate City on Sunday), but from my experience it seems like a notable difference this year is that the players are much more loose and easy going than in years past. A lot more smiling and a lot more easy talking with the fans (which is what is great about spring training).

Threads : 2

Two more weeks.

TWO!! MORE!! WEEKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    I was at the Orioles v Pirates game in Bradenton yesterday. Ohlendorf was fantastic for the first two innings; no one was getting much wood on the ball at all. Third inning --and I know it's just spring training--was a very typical Ohlendorf inning. Got a runner on and then started getting behind on all the hitters. Nibble, nibble, nibble, and bam, six runs have scored. Same inning: two shoddy defensive plays by Cedeno; the guy is a great athlete but he lacks the kind of baseball instincts and infield leadership that you really need in a shorstop. I wish they could've upgraded at that position but I guess the options were limited.

I've been down here for Spring Training in four out of the last five years. Got my whole family, and extended family here, so I can't do baseball the whole time (hope to get out to Pirate City on Sunday), but from my experience it seems like a notable difference this year is that the players are much more loose and easy going than in years past. A lot more smiling and a lot more easy talking with the fans (which is what is great about spring training).
    Seems like all of our pitchers are having troubles later in games. They are mastering lineups the first time and through and after that they seem lost. I'm curious if any or all of them are specific pitches. For instance are they told to attack a certain way in a game or inning by inning or use certain pitches and not others?

How's the atmosphere down there compared to previous eyars with the new coaching staff and such?

Quote Originally Posted by 81omar View Post
    Two more weeks.

TWO!! MORE!! WEEKS!!

was thinking about that today as it hit 70 degrees that Opening Day is a couple of weeks away. I'm ezxcited for so many reasons, but this is one of my favorite times of the year, when the temps get warmer, the weather gets nicer, windows open up, shorts get worn, baseball is getting ready to be played, the smell of grass is soon to be had...

Living in the North, I call this time of the year - Life

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Living in the North, I call this time of the year - Life
    That is why I am not there anymore and still here after all these years. It is nice to visit in the summers though.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not concerned. 90+ losses is practically guaranteed.

I'm not being negative either. We need our 'younguns' to 'graduate'. Until then, we're gonna stink.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe I am crazy, but I am enjoying the year to year process of this rebuild. Seeing different areas of the team progress brings us closer to the fulfillment of our hopes. Hopefully while areas of the team progress other areas don't regress.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Seems like all of our pitchers are having troubles later in games. They are mastering lineups the first time and through and after that they seem lost. I'm curious if any or all of them are specific pitches. For instance are they told to attack a certain way in a game or inning by inning or use certain pitches and not others?

How's the atmosphere down there compared to previous eyars with the new coaching staff and such?

Kerrigan made two lengthy visits to the mound, which is pretty rare during ST. One was when Ohlendorf was having a bad inning and the other was when Scott Olsen was getting bombed. Olsen actually got lifted, but that might be because he made his requisite number of pitches. But it's strange that Kerrigan spent so much time on the mound because those visits during ST are usually just quick, simple deals to check on an injury or remind the picher of something. Kerrigan and Ohlendorf stood there for a long, long time...

It's notable that the Pirates are going to be a running team this year. That's a big difference that's been mentioned on here. With the players they have, it's a good strategy, but if they can't upgrade at starting pitching, it will be another long season of frustration. I know you keep saying, Kipper, that these pitchers should be better than they are, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. They all have huge flaws,...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information