Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than you want to know from Pirate City today

Threads : 94

Default More than you want to know from Pirate City today

Got to see a lot of batting practice in the AM....some PFP's which were quite boring and a lot more batting practice.

What the BP drills consisted of......first bunting practice for 3 or 4 rounds....then slug bunts were next. The coaches placed orange traffic cones in between 1st and 2nd and the players were instructed to place their hits between the cones.....also situational hitting was worked on. The coach would yell out a game situation and the batter had hit the according to the situation. All in all this was pretty interesting. I got to see most of the A players go through these drills.

In the PM the A guys were playing the Blue Jay's and I got my first look at Stetson Allie. I am really starting to see a pattern here because as soon as Allie took the mound the crowd gathered behind home plate just like I described yesterday for Welker and Moreno. Taillon had the radar gun and Heredia was standing right behind him intently watching. Allie threw mostly FB's at 95 mph and a few sliders at 88. He pitched 2 innings and the coaches seemed pleased. After that he went to the bullpen threw a little more. If he can develop another off speed pitch he going to be pretty good.

Jeff Inman also pitched and looked real good. He was sitting at 95 on the fastball and showed a nice feel for pitching mixing in his FB and off speed stuff. If this guy can stay healthy he's another guy to watch.

I had said in a post yesterday that Inman had pitched I was wrong it was Phil Irvin. His number is 49 .....Inman's number is 48....my bad.

The biggest surprise of the day without question was a young Latin pitcher Yhonathan Herrand........WATCH OUT FOR THIS KID. I knew something was about to happen because again the crowd formed when took the mound. He pitched 2 innings and was electric..... 97 on his FB going down to 88 on his off speed stuff.

I kind of talked to Heredia as best as I could. I asked him when he was going to pitch and used my hand in a throwing motion. He said yesterday.....so I missed him. Hopefully he will pitch before I leave.

Maggie got into the A+ game again as a sub at 2nd base and was 0 for2 with a K. The kid looks pretty fast and he made a couple of routine plays. I'm getting the feeling he is going to WV and not Bradenton but that's definitely not set in stone.

I got a pretty good look at Matt Curry and I would be surprised if he doesn't start at Bradenton. The kid looks smooth at 1st, runs surprising well and can hit.

Hadn't seen Exicardo Cayones and Gavin Navar since I arrived so I asked a trainer where they were and he said they were injured ....mystery solved.

Q Latimore again was in shorts and T-shirt.

Frank Coonley made a quick appearance and left...I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

Talked to Vic Black he is pitching Sunday and said his arm feels fine. he said he probably will start at Bradenton and hopefully get to Altoona. BTW Black is about the nicest kid you will ever meet.

Just an observation but the Pirates are loaded with talented 19 and 20 yo's

Another under the radar Latin kid to keep and eye on is Yeiber Sanchez......95 mph FB!

A lot of Latin pitchers pitched today non were overly impressive except for the ones I mentioned.

Everywhere I turn I see Jared Lakind.......I'm betting he starts in rookie ball......he looks to be a nice player down the road.

Jose Osuna a big Latin OF looks impressive....this is his first year in the states.

Was watching Wes Freeman real close in BP and his bat speed is noticeably slow.....I'm guessing this is why he has trouble making contact. Even when he does hit the ball he's always late. I haven't seen him pull one ball.

Was also watching my last year fav Greg Polanco in the cage and he is looking more and more like Aundry Acevado.....and that isn't a complement. Polanco was just slapping at the ball and I was getting discouraged when he jacked one over the RF fence. Hmmm. The kid is only 19 so I haven't given up hope.

One last thing for now I believe Josh Harrison is injured.....don't know the extent. I haven't seen him and there was a guy that looked like him walking around in shorts and T shirt today.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Mar-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Threads : 197

Default Re: More than you want to know from Pirate City today

I appreciate all of the updates. Mostly good stuff to hear. One question here:

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest surprise of the day without question was a young Latin pitcher Yhonathan Herrand........WATCH OUT FOR THIS KID. I knew something was about to happen because again the crowd formed when took the mound. He pitched 2 innings and was electric..... 97 on his FB going down to 88 on his off speed stuff.
    Any idea what kind of offspeed stuff he was throwing? The BA article/post I did a couple weeks back said he was mainly just throwing changeups and struggling to find a breaking pitch that would work. Just curious to see if he was focused on something.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I appreciate all of the updates. Mostly good stuff to hear. One question here:

Any idea what kind of offspeed stuff he was throwing? The BA article/post I did a couple weeks back said he was mainly just throwing changeups and struggling to find a breaking pitch that would work. Just curious to see if he was focused on something.
    He just took something off his FB so I guess it could be classified as a changeup. He threw mainly the FB. I'm sure you are aware that the priority is FB command with these young pitchers especially this time of the year. This kid is real tall and if he can continue to throw that heater and mix in some off speed stuff he could be a beast. Remember this kid is only 19.

Let me add something.....Taillon in particular was visibly impressed by this kid.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Mar-18-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Taillon tweeted about Herrand. Someone posted it on some board somewhere (they all look alike after awhile).

Thx for the updates.

Threads : 8

I can't say thanks enough, PFV. These updates are fantastic.

Forgot to mention that Jaramillo and Tabata came over from ML camp and took AB's in both games.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great information PFIV. You should be the Official Tavern correspondent from spring training.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 9

100X better than the so-called "professional" media too!

Threads : 413

PFV, you simply rock. Great stuff you post and I really appreciate how observant you are and that you bring this information to us.

That was the most exciting statement I've read in a long time too.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 215

Do they sell beer at the various baseball sites in Fla.?
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tim Williams has a small writeup on Jonathan Herrand on page 161-162 in his PIRATES PROSPECTS Prospect Guide. He says one of his coaches compares his mechanics to a young Pedro Martinez. Sounds good to me!

If you don't have Tim's guide, do yourself a favor and get it. If you like following the minors it has every player in the system and information you would spend hours researching yourself. Money well spent!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    Tim Williams has a small writeup on Jonathan Herrand on page 161-162 in his PIRATES PROSPECTS Prospect Guide. He says one of his coaches compares his mechanics to a young Pedro Martinez. Sounds good to me!

If you don't have Tim's guide, do yourself a favor and get it. If you like following the minors it has every player in the system and information you would spend hours researching yourself. Money well spent!!!!
    I'll bet Herrand is about a head taller.....

About the book I don't have it.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Do they sell beer at the various baseball sites in Fla.?
    They did the last time I was there....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll bet Herrand is about a head taller.....

About the book I don't have it.
    He listed him at 6'5" so yeah, that sounds about right. Nothing beats seeing them in person though.

Threads : 2

Look to the left of this post. See that man that looks like a young Ron Howard?

He's the man responsible for all of those talented 19 and 20 year olds being in our system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information