Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mario And Ray Shero Need To Make An Example Out Of Matt Cooke

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mario And Ray Shero Need To Make An Example Out Of Matt Cooke

The GM meetings have now come and gone. Sidney Crosby's concussion was initiated back in January. Both of these deal completely with Head Shots.

After Sidney Crosby's concussion and seeing the punishments dished out for illegal hits to the head being nonexistent along with Cheap Shot fest initiated by the New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux lashed out at the NHL for their lack of punishment for illegal head Shots and mentioned briefly is desire to not want to be part of the NHL in the future.

Recently the GM meetings took place and center stage were discussions about illegal head shots and concussions. Leading the way Pittsburgh Penguins GM, Ray Shero who along with Mario Lemieux want to see a band on head shots. Of course this didn't go anywhere at the meetings and the discussion of protecting players and getting rid of ones performing illegal head shots got domi9nted by overrated windbags like Toronto Maple Leafs GM, Brian Burke who has been around the NHL since the early 1990's with very few accomplishments besides being fired often and winning a ONE Stanley Cup in Anaheim.

Fast forward to Sunday March 20th, Pittsburgh Penguins hosting the New York Rangers and one of the more blatant illegal Head Shots gets delivered via elbow to the face. Performed by the Pittsburgh Penguins, Matt Cooke.

For weeks and even months now, talks from within the Pittsburgh Penguins organization have been about ridding the NHL of illegal head shots and the players that perform them, but how can you claim credibility and expect to be taken seriously when one of your own is delivering those very hits you are publicly and privately condemning?

This is a chance right now for Mario Lemieux and Ray Shero to step forward publicly and make an example out of Matt Cooke. They can't lead a war against Head Shots when they are coddling a player that's delivering them. They can't defend Matt Cooke and if they want the NHL to taker action and perform a ban at some point in the future on these hits and players, then the Pittsburgh Penguins need to become leaders, not just talkers.

There will be some people that moan and over value Matt Cooke but there's really not much value to him. He's a good Penalty Killer but people felt Jordan Staal was a great Penalty Killer and the Pittsburgh Penguins were able to sustain the #1 Penalty kill in the NHL without Jordan Staal in the lineup. Matt Cooke is a big hitter but he also logs a lot of Penalties, a lot of dumb Penalties. Basically, the guy is replaceable.

Unfortunately he is under contract for 2 more seasons (through the 2012-13 season) but if you want to wage a war against illegal Head Shots, dirty play and concussions in the NHL, then you need to set an example and lead. If this means eating some of the contract that is chump change for Ron Burkle, then you do it. You do it if you want to be taken seriously. You do it if you are sincere about ridding the NHL of the illegal Head Shots and not just making reactionary statements because your star play was victim to one.

Either way you look at it, you can't defend Matt Cooke and vilify David Steckel or Trevor Gillies. Matt Cooke clearly lifted his elbow with the intent to delivery an illegal blow to the head. As a fan I don't want to see these types of hits happen to players on the Pittsburgh Penguins and I refuse to defend a player on the Pittsburgh Penguins or on another team that takes part in these actions.

Mario Lemieux and Ray Shero have to share the same beliefs. This is their chance to stand up and say "this is what we expect and want the NHL to do, we are suspending Matt Cooke indefinitely" and then look for a team to trade with in the offseason. the credibility and respect that the Pittsburgh Penguins will gain from this would be immense especially after the way the New York Islanders largely ignored the goon fest they unleashed on the Pittsburgh Penguins recently.

You don't want to be the one that has to make the first move. It should be the NHL that should be defending you. It should be overrated windbags like Brian Burke who have accomplished very little, defending the banishment of illegal and dirty play. When it doesn't happen you can't throw a fit and whine about it and then expect it to one day just miraculously happen. You need to take action yourself when you can, continue to support it and fight for it.

This is that rare chance where action can be taken and respect and credibility can be gained and all of it can be done without losing much of anything - Matt Cooke.
    Last edited by Kipper; Feb-27-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 550
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mario And Ray Shero Need To Make An Example Out Of Matt Cooke

Cooke's hit was CLEARLY an illegal hit. He led with an elbow to the head. You pretty much can't get any more obvious than that. Not to mention that was a TOTALLY unnecessary play. Cooke should have just finished his check and moved on. Really ended up hurting the Penguins.

Bottom line is Cooke deserves whatever penalty the NHL hands down.

Threads : 206

I would support a longer suspension by the Penguins, than the league hands down (I'm not sure what the Players Union would say or do. Probably file a greivance.) I also think that the Pens will probably try to shop Cooke around during the off-season. With two years left on his contract... The Pens are in a tough spot.
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Mar-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cooke's hit was CLEARLY an illegal hit. He led with an elbow to the head. You pretty much can't get any more obvious than that. Not to mention that was a TOTALLY unnecessary play. Cooke should have just finished his check and moved on. Really ended up hurting the Penguins.

Bottom line is Cooke deserves whatever penalty the NHL hands down.
    I completely agree. Of course

The homer in me hates to be ****ed at a player but Matt Cooke is hurting the team in so many ways. His hit, hurt the team by providing a 5 on 3 after Niskanen's accidental high stick. It short handed the Pens for the rest of the game. It hurts Mario's and Ray's credibility when they are trying to heavily oppose this stuff. It helps make them look like hypocrites. Cooke's penalty minutes in general hurt the team.

We need strong 3rd players and I no, Chris Conner doesn't replace Matt Cooke in any aspect of the game (Hitting, PK and scoring), but there are players out there than can do it and do it cleanly for Cooke's prices or less. We need guys that help the team, not hurt the team

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I would support a longer suspension by the Penguins, than the league hands down (I'm not sure what the Players Union would say or do. Probably file a greivance.) I also think that the Pens will probably try to shop Cooke around during the off-season. With two years left on his contract... The Pens are in a tough spot.
    Some team will take him. Todd Bertuzzi still has a job, Sean Avery is still skating somewhere. The Pens might have to eat some of Cooke's contract, but with what Mario and Ray are trying to support in regards to illegal head shots and such... I think that price is easily justifiable if they are as serious as they claim.

I don't mind that the Penguins re-signed him after last season. He's not a bad hockey player as some fans might argue. Cooke is an integral part of the #1 ranked PK, he scores goals and puts up some points. I really cannot complain with that hard work and his physicality he brings to the Penguins. Matt's also a grinder similar to Talbot and Craig Adams who finishes his checks.

However, I am not fond of the controversy he wraps himself in with these questionable or "illegal" hits. Clearly his hit hurt the Penguins this afternoon. There is no question about that. Giving a team a 5 on 3 for nearly 2 minutes hurts. I don't care how good your PK is, but almost any team in the NHL can score on a 5 on 3. But had Cooke not done this, the game could have completely changed. What I am trying to say is, if Cooke keeps up this idiocy by putting illegal hits on players, I agree with you 419, that Cooke should be shopped, traded or released after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I completely agree. Of course

The homer in me hates to be ****ed at a player but Matt Cooke is hurting the team in so many ways. His hit, hurt the team by providing a 5 on 3 after Niskanen's accidental high stick. It short handed the Pens for the rest of the game. It hurts Mario's and Ray's credibility when they are trying to heavily oppose this stuff. It helps make them look like hypocrites. Cooke's penalty minutes in general hurt the team.

We need strong 3rd players and I no, Chris Conner doesn't replace Matt Cooke in any aspect of the game (Hitting, PK and scoring), but there are players out there than can do it and do it cleanly for Cooke's prices or less. We need guys that help the team, not hurt the team
    Yeah I agree with you, it hurts to see one of our players put an illegal hit on an opponent. But hey, he broke the rules and I think that Mario and Ray Shero will agree with whatever suspension Cooke receives, or like 419 said, if the Penguins team suspends him longer. One day or another Cooke has to learn his lesson. He already put an illegal hit on Fedor Tyutin several weeks ago and got 4 games. I would venture a guess that he might get that or maybe longer based on today's hit, but I don't know, I'm not Colin Campbell (Thank God! )

This is crunch time for the Penguins too. They HAVE to win. Nothing is set in stone yet, they still have 10 valuable games remaining. Going into today I thought they still had a legitimate shot at the division title. But now I have to disagree because today's loss stings, mostly because it's a regulation loss. Bottom line is someone has to step up - Kovalev, Neal, Connor, Jeffrey, Letang - some player! I just hope Crosby will be back in time for the playoffs because I think he would REALLY play well with Neal AND Kovalev on the top line. All we can do as fans is hope.

Threads : 85

to coin a phrase from another section of this board, i have been a matt cooke "apologist" all along. This particular hit is absolutely indefensible. Not only did cost us a game, it has embarrassed our owners, players, and coaches. Being a repeat offender in the leagues eyes they are going to smack him hard, and after that the pens should sit him for the rest of the season including playoffs, there is no room or excuse for a play like that.

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    to coin a phrase from another section of this board, i have been a matt cooke "apologist" all along. This particular hit is absolutely indefensible. Not only did cost us a game, it has embarrassed our owners, players, and coaches. Being a repeat offender in the leagues eyes they are going to smack him hard, and after that the pens should sit him for the rest of the season including playoffs, there is no room or excuse for a play like that.
    And on national tv to boot. He could not have picked a worse time or opponent (NY media will have a field day).

Threads : 206

Quote Originally Posted by CPA17 View Post
    And on national tv to boot. He could not have picked a worse time or opponent (NY media will have a field day).
    Thank God basketball was on and no one watches NBC!

If this wasn't Matt Cooke making that hit... I wonder if a game misconduct would be enough punishment? ...If you add in the extra emphasis on head shots... maybe a 2 game suspension? But JFC, it's Matt Cooke and he should know better!

And like others have stated.... It ends up making Mario, Ray and the whole Penguins organization look bad x 10!!!

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cooke is dangerous. I totally agree with the articles, nobody in their right mind can be defending the guy anymore... He is bad for the game which means he's bad for the Pens as well. No other ways of spinning it are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    Thank God basketball was on and no one watches NBC!

If this wasn't Matt Cooke making that hit... I wonder if a game misconduct would be enough punishment? ...If you add in the extra emphasis on head shots... maybe a 2 game suspension? But JFC, it's Matt Cooke and he should know better!

And like others have stated.... It ends up making Mario, Ray and the whole Penguins organization look bad x 10!!!

Agreed. I think the criticism on Lemieux, Shero, and the organization will quiet down if they don't come out publicly and argue Cooke's suspension. Or if they address it as a "fair" or "deserving" consequence, then I believe others will have more respect for them.

I agree with above that the Penguins should make him sit out the rest of the season. I'd rather see Godard in the lineup than Cooke. At least he doesn't lay cheap hits on opposing players. I think HE has learned from his suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
    Agreed. I think the criticism on Lemieux, Shero, and the organization will quiet down if they don't come out publicly and argue Cooke's suspension. Or if they address it as a "fair" or "deserving" consequence, then I believe others will have more respect for them.

I agree with above that the Penguins should make him sit out the rest of the season. I'd rather see Godard in the lineup than Cooke. At least he doesn't lay cheap hits on opposing players. I think HE has learned from his suspension.
    To be fair, Godard's suspension was a bull**** one in itself. I hope Godard learned nothing from it because if he's ever in that situation again, I want him to hop the bench and come to his goalie's defense against a one trick goon.

If All Lemieux and Shero do is simply go along with the suspension as they seem to do then I don't know if it quiets any critics. There's bound to be people that come out in the media and say "if you want to ban these hits, why aren't you starting by banning your own players that do it"? Or something to that affect.

I really think and believe that Mario and Shero have to take action even if it means they are doing something nobody else in the league is doing or might do in the present or short future, you do it to send a message and maintain your image.

Threads : 29

Stupid, stupid, stupid....................

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Stupid, stupid, stupid....................
    My opinion, matt Cooke or all of the above?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information