Thread: Some tidbits from Bradenton today

Threads : 94

Default Some tidbits from Bradenton today

Saw a lot of BP and infield practice in the morning.

Lamb was crushing the ball.....same with Aaron Baker

Baker looks to be Altoona's starting 1st baseman

Drew Maggie was taking infield at 2nd but took a few at SS towards the end of the session. Maggie is playing up but once the ML team gets cut down he probably goes to WV.

Jeremy Farrell was back at practice... So I'm guessing his little mishap wasn't much.

Q Latimore was also back in uniform....he looked a little rustily early on but got back in the groove pretty quick. Also it looks as if he has lost even more weight. His first year he had a lot "baby fat" last year he lost some and this year he looks real good.

Exicardo Cayones was also back in uniform and was hitting some nice shots in BP

Got a good look at Willie Garcia a high dollar Latin signing guy last year.....he's a good sized kid with the body type like Urea just a little shorter.

Two good looking catch and throw Latin catchers are in camp....first is Elias Diaz and the other Samuel Gonzalez. Diaz is a good size kid and really isn't that big of an unknown ....he was the catcher for the GCL Pirates last year. Samuel on the other hand is in the states for the first time. Both have cannons for arms if they learn to hit then the Pirates might have something. Samuel is a bit old so he is going to have to move quickly. I'm guessing he starts in the GCL.

Also got to see some bullpens....

Saw Zack Dobson.....he has a real nice easy arm action and was throwing a nice swiping curve

Also got a look at Stetson Allie in the back pen......he was throwing mostly FB's but couldn't get real close to him.

But the big catch of the day was watching Heredia's bullpen. I've seen him every day mingling and joking around with his teammates but haven't seen him pitch until today.
    What really stands out with this kid is the ease of motion when he throws. He throws not over the top but a little more than 3/4's. This kid is easy 6-6 and with that easy arm action I can see why they gave him the money. I sure would like to see his parents to see what he is going to grow into once he matures.

The last guy I saw was a young righty (20) Casey Salder there was no guns around to verify pitch speed but he was was popping the catchers glove pretty good.

I haven't seen Jeff Clement at all.....he is MIA.

The size of the pitchers now compared to the Littlefield era is just astonishing.

Wanted to mention this before but forgot.....Brick Holt's surgically repaired knee looks just fine.....he is practicing in all drills and playing in all games. He looks just about 100%

It looks like the starting 1st base positions are taking shape......as I mention before Aaron Baker looks he is going to AA, Matt Curry to A+ and Justin Howard to A. Howard has hit well when I have seen him.

As for the game at McKechnie...MLB was there filming 30 in 30. It was a hot MF'er in the bleachers.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Mar-21-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Threads : 2

Default Re: Some tidbits from Bradenton today

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Baker looks to be Altoona's starting 1st baseman
    Cool. I remember reading somebody comparing him to John Olerud.

That would be sweet!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But the big catch of the day was watching Heredia's bullpen. I've seen him every day mingling and joking around with his teammates but haven't seen him pitch until today.

What really stands out with this kid is the ease of motion when he throws. He throws not over the top but a little more than 3/4's. This kid is easy 6-6 and with that easy arm action I can see why they gave him the money. I sure would like to see his parents to see what he is going to grow into once he matures.
    Has he pitched in any action or just bullpens and some sort of loosen up long tosses?

you may have been the only person looking. That is curious though since he should be the starting 1B for Indy.

The size of the pitchers now compared to the Littlefield era is just astonishing.
    I never even gave this a consideration until you mentioned it but there has been a difference in size with pitchers. I wonder if this is part of Greg Smith's love of raw tools? Seeing that size and figuring these guys could grow and mature into the size and be even more dominant? I know that it was mentioned in the past something about Greg Smith's love for raw power from pitchers and I wonder if the size plays into decisions?

As for the game at McKechnie...MLB was there filming 30 in 30. It was a hot MF'er in the bleachers.
    Wow... I wanna say that this airs tomorrow. I'm surprised that they shot footage the day before it airs. That's pretty impressive. Look for yourself on tv!

Lamb = Lambo?

Weren't there a couple fo young Venezuelean's that got moved up last year off that dominant VZ team from a couple years back?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Two good looking catch and throw Latin catchers are in camp....first is Elias Diaz and the other Samuel Gonzalez. Diaz is a good size kid and really isn't that big of an unknown ....he was the catcher for the GCL Pirates last year. Samuel on the other hand is in the states for the first time. Both have cannons for arms if they learn to hit then the Pirates might have something. Samuel is a bit old so he is going to have to move quickly. I'm guessing he starts in the GCL.
    In the Kyle Stark interview at Bucs Dugout he was asked a question about Diaz vs. Joey Schoenfeld. They seem to be very high on Diaz, as Stark basically said he's the guy they think is the better prospect and will continue to be given more playing time than Schoenfeld even though Schoenfeld got a good bonus out of the 10th round and Diaz was a low dollar signing. I think they really like the defensive package and think he could put it together enough offensively to be a legit prospect.
    I don't know about his mom's side, but Heredia's dad Hector is a fairly well known Mexican pitcher. He spent a few years in AAA with the Dodgers and then a lot of time in the Mexican league. He wasn't really that big a guy for a pitcher, "only" 6'2". Heredia has reportedly grown nearly about a full inch from the time the Pirates signed him in August. I guess at his age it's entirely possible he could end up even taller.

Going a little off topic here, but Heredia's dad apparently wasn't involved in his son's life until the Yankees contacted him trying to go through him in their efforts to sign Luis. That turned out to be a pretty big blunder for the Yankees as it kind of emphasized how little they knew about him as a person.
    I'm not entirely sure what the injury was, but the Pirates were first expecting him to be ready to participate in major league camp, then moved him down to minor league camp due to injury kind of last minute. If he's still not healthy things may be more serious than they've ever mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    In the Kyle Stark interview at Bucs Dugout he was asked a question about Diaz vs. Joey Schoenfeld. They seem to be very high on Diaz, as Stark basically said he's the guy they think is the better prospect and will continue to be given more playing time than Schoenfeld even though Schoenfeld got a good bonus out of the 10th round and Diaz was a low dollar signing. I think they really like the defensive package and think he could put it together enough offensively to be a legit prospect.
    I had seen Diaz last year in ST. He stood out because he was such a big catcher and that he was just crushing the ball in BP. Ever since he's been on my watch list. This year like I said his catch and throw abilities have stood out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I never even gave this a consideration until you mentioned it but there has been a difference in size with pitchers. I wonder if this is part of Greg Smith's love of raw tools? Seeing that size and figuring these guys could grow and mature into the size and be even more dominant? I know that it was mentioned in the past something about Greg Smith's love for raw power from pitchers and I wonder if the size plays into decisions?
    You can't teach size......Huntington always stresses that downward plane when a pitcher pitches. They are definitely drafting size that's not a coincidence. From what I have been told even an inch in height makes a big difference.

you may have been the only person looking. That is curious though since he should be the starting 1B for Indy.
    There is about 175 players in camp and I can recognize most of them by their face. I try to check up on as many players as possible. I wasn't really looking for Clement but he is very recognizable face that I haven't seen.

Clement isn't going to be the 1st baseman for Indy at least early on. Depends on how the ML club shakes out Hague looks to be the guy.

Has he pitched in any action or just bullpens and some sort of loosen up long tosses?
    He pitched last week in an away game.

Kipper.......Lamb does = Lambo

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think Clement gets released.

I just hope that, as Heredia fills out, that he doesn't lose his 'fluidity'. Altho, having those genes (Thx JNN), surely help?

I think I read where Woody Huyke was truly excited about the number of GOOD Latin prospects in the GSL or DSL or wherever he saw them.

Exciting times?

Ya know.......if we turn it around, will there be anyone left to post on the BS Blog?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is about 175 players in camp and I can recognize most of them by their face. I try to check up on as many players as possible. I wasn't really looking for Clement but he is very recognizable face that I haven't seen.

Clement isn't going to be the 1st baseman for Indy at least early on. Depends on how the ML club shakes out Hague looks to be the guy.
    Oh Good, nice to see an actual prospect getting some 1B time. Have you gotten to see Hague at all?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    I still think Clement gets released.
    Would they need to? He's not on the 40-man roster anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information