Thread: Mike Stanton And His Power

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mike Stanton And His Power

Stanton's epic power has Marlins in awe
    With two homers in return, youngster shows glimpse of future
    By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 03/24/11 6:19 PM ET

JUPITER, Fla. -- The big blast left a small dent on the video scoreboard stationed well beyond the wall in left-center field at Roger Dean Stadium.

The indention signifies something the Marlins have been waiting to see all spring. It marked the return of slugger Mike Stanton.

In his first Grapefruit League game -- during Thursday's 15-7 Marlins win over the Red Sox -- Stanton made a smashing impression. The 21-year-old went 3-for-4 with two homers and seven RBIs.

"You've got to expect the most," Stanton said of his spring debut. "If you're going to surprise yourself too often, you don't have enough confidence in yourself. It was definitely cool to be able to do that in my first game back."

Stanton showed the Marlins what they've been missing, a dominating presence in the middle of their lineup.

The Florida right fielder suffered a right quadriceps strain during an exhibition against the University of Miami on Feb. 27. In recent weeks, he has been getting four or five plate appearances in Minor League games.

Stanton hit the big league lineup for the first time on Thursday, and his bat turned the tables in the Marlins' rout.

"It felt like two months, instead of three weeks," Stanton said of being out. "I'm glad I was able to get out there. My legs felt fine. I'm glad to be here."

Both homers were three-run drives off Clay Buchholz. The first was awe-inspiring.

Stanton's first homer hit the video scoreboard, leaving a dent just below the "B" in the Palm Beach Post advertisement. The drive is estimated at 500 feet, had it not been knocked down by the scoreboard. The ball actually bounced back onto the outfield grass.

"It's unbelievable," Hanley Ramirez said of Stanton's power. "I'm happy to have him on my side. I don't have to watch him in the field or field his ground balls."

Without Stanton, the Marlins have had troubles hitting home runs. They entered Thursday with a Spring Training low of seven.

Everything changed with the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder in the lineup. Logan Morrison and John Buck each went deep off Buchholz.

Stanton's two homers have him tied for the team lead.

"As advertised, he had the power," manager Edwin Rodriguez said. "Not only that, then you're going to see a better Hanley Ramirez, Gaby Sanchez through the lineup. Just his presence, the whole game changed. It's good to have that sense that with one swing, you can get back into the game."

In 100 games last season, Stanton led all rookies with 22 long balls.

Now, Stanton is making up for lost time. He played five innings on Thursday, exiting for a pinch-runner after his RBI single.

Stanton is expected to play on Friday against the Mets at Roger Dean Stadium.

Also encouraging for Stanton is that his right leg felt fine after Thursday's game, as he did his usual postgame conditioning and rehab.

"Marlins fans ought to be excited," owner Jeffrey Loria said. "He's a talent. Let's not forget that he is just 21. He couldn't rent a car last year."

Stanton showed that he was able to adjust on Thursday, as he struck out on a changeup in his first at-bat.

In Stanton's second at-bat, Buchholz was ahead, 0-2, and the slugger backed off a couple of offspeed pitches that were off the plate. He didn't miss the fastball, crushing it off the scoreboard.

How successful Stanton becomes at the plate will be determined by how he handles offspeed pitches.

"That's what it's always been, ever since I've been in professional ball," Stanton said. "The only thing that is going to get me better is at-bats. Slowly, I'm getting into it."

If Stanton remains in the cleanup spot, he will be asked to protect Ramirez.

"I'd better step up," Stanton said. "There are going to be times where they're going to pitch around him, or intentionally walk him without intentionally walking him, to get to me.

"I have to make sure I prove myself. Otherwise, I'm not going to be hitting in the [No.] four spot anymore."
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Mike Stanton And His Power

this kid is going to be a power freak. what sucks is that he was originally rumored in the Bay trade when he was just a low minors player with raw power and a ton of K's but the deal with marlins fell through mainly because of the Red Sox

Talbot mixing it up with Captain Mike Dickards

Threads : 197

A minor league K rate over 25% is usually a very bad sign for a player. A lot of those players turn out to be guys who struggle making contact to the point where they're often not even useful players. Stanton was actually over 30%. The thing with him, though, is his power is so unreal that it could easily compensate for that. The last several years there have been very few players in the minors who you could look at and say there's even a chance he could one day hit 50 HRs. Stanton is definitely one of those guys. The only other one around right now might be Bryce Harper and he still has a long way to go.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Talbot mixing it up with Captain Mike Dickards
    this kid is going to be a power freak. what sucks is that he was originally rumored in the Bay trade when he was just a low minors player with raw power and a ton of K's but the deal with marlins fell through mainly because of the Red Sox
    Stanton's epic power has Marlins in awe
    With two homers in return, youngster shows glimpse of future
    By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 03/24/11 6:19 PM ET

JUPITER, Fla. -- The big blast left a small dent on the video scoreboard stationed well beyond the wall in left-center field at Roger Dean Stadium.

The indention signifies something the Marlins have been waiting to see all spring. It marked the return of slugger Mike Stanton.

In his first Grapefruit League game -- during Thursday's 15-7 Marlins win over the Red Sox -- Stanton made a smashing impression. The 21-year-old went 3-for-4 with two homers and seven RBIs.
    one of these things is not like the other

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information