Thread: It's almost playoff time - 1st seed or 4th?

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default It's almost playoff time - 1st seed or 4th?

Looking at the standings on Saturday March 26th, it looks like the Pens could technically get any seeds from 1 to 4. One thing in their favor is the schedule heading out. They have two games left against playoff teams. The home game against Philly is the biggest one in my opinion, and could very well determine the division if the Pens can get 2 points on the Flyers.

The Pens final 7 games, while not a complete breeze is in their favor in that most of the teams they play will not even make the playoffs. I think if they win 6 of 7 they get into the playoffs as the 1st seed (but they must beat the flyers in the process). Win 4 or 5 of 7, they probably will be in 4th.

Mar 27, 2011 Panthers @ Penguins
    Mar 29, 2011 Flyers @ Penguins
    Mar 31, 2011 Penguins @ Lightning
    Apr 2, 2011 Penguins @ Panthers
    Apr 5, 2011 Devils @ Penguins
    Apr 8, 2011 Penguins @ Islanders
    Apr 10, 2011 Penguins @ Thrashers

Flyers final 9 games:

Mar 26, 2011 Flyers @ NY Islanders
    Mar 27, 2011 Bruins @ Flyers
    Mar 29, 2011 Flyers @ Penguins
    Mar 31, 2011 Thrashers @ Flyers
    Apr 1, 2011 Flyers @ Devils
    Apr 3, 2011 Rangers @ Flyers
    Apr 5, 2011 Flyers @ Senators
    Apr 8, 2011 Flyers @ Sabres
    Apr 9, 2011 Islanders @ Flyers

What I possibly like about the Pens finishing 1st is that they could potentially face the Sabres, who they beat in the season series 4-0. However, finishing 4th would have it's benefits too, because they Pens match up against Tampa Bay very well. Another interesting thing is if the Rangers finish 7th, and Washington 2nd, this doesn't favor well for the Caps, because the Rangers seem to own them. The Caps are the other team that probably desperately needs the 1st seed this year. Regardless, if the Pens finish 4th, and get past Tampa (or hell Montreal, which is a possibility too), they probably would then face a second round against the Flyers or Caps...

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's almost playoff time - 1st seed or 4th?

Well, if we finish 4th it looks like we will get the lightning, which I think is a good draw for us. if we finish 1st we could end up with on the the Ranger, Habs or Sabers. I think the lighting is the best draw of those 4 teams.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, if we finish 4th it looks like we will get the lightning, which I think is a good draw for us. if we finish 1st we could end up with on the the Ranger, Habs or Sabers. I think the lighting is the best draw of those 4 teams.
    The cards are starting to fall in the Pens direction. The Pens won today, and the Flyers lost to Boston in 3 periods. So, the Pens are only 2 points behind the flyers, and the matchup on Tuesday is going to either give the flyers a good padding, or the Pens will have a really good shot at winning the division with 6 games remaining.

I think you are right though. As much as the Pens own Buffalo, I think matching up with Tampa might be better. For some reason, the Pens just can't beat Montreal, and the Rangers also give the Pens big time fits for some reason. You would almost want a Tampa, and hope that either Philly or Washington go down in the 1st round, so that the Pens would play a Boston team in the 2nd round.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Montreal may not make the playoffs the way they are playing. ...Talking about "goal-challenged"! Unfortunately for the Habs, they don't have the heart that the Penguins have to grind out points, game after game!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tough to say. I don't reaslly care what seed we get either. Philadelphia still ha s a game in hand. So, not only do they have to lose to the us Tuesday, but they will need to lose again while we win out or (get 2 points the rest of the way with the way we operate with OT). We also can't give the Flyers 1 point either.

I'm going to say that the Flyers beat us in a tie breaker though. I swear that the first tie breaker is Total Wins excluding Shoot Outs and we have 9 Shoot Out wins to the Flyers 3. After that it's series and if we beat them on Tuesday it goes 3-3. The 3rd Tie Breaker I believe is Goal differential. Right now the Flyers have that edge +38 to +35 but that's a pretty close number.

with the way we keep going to OT and such, unless the Flyers drop some games here at the end, I really dont see us getting the #1 seed and I don't really care if we don't get it either. Last time we had the #1 seed we got bounced in the first round (2006-07) . So, like the first seed in the NFL, it's not really meaningful and we've not been this dominant home team either so I don't know how much Home Ice advantage really plays here. We actually technically have a better Road Record in terms of not losing
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    The cards are starting to fall in the Pens direction. The Pens won today, and the Flyers lost to Boston in 3 periods. So, the Pens are only 2 points behind the flyers, and the matchup on Tuesday is going to either give the flyers a good padding, or the Pens will have a really good shot at winning the division with 6 games remaining.

I think you are right though. As much as the Pens own Buffalo, I think matching up with Tampa might be better. For some reason, the Pens just can't beat Montreal, and the Rangers also give the Pens big time fits for some reason. You would almost want a Tampa, and hope that either Philly or Washington go down in the 1st round, so that the Pens would play a Boston team in the 2nd round.
    Yeah I thought about Buffalo too, but Miller could bite us in the ***. I would rather face a team with shoddy goal tending and defense if possible. The East is really up for grabs this year. i don't think any team beating any other could be considered much of an upset.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the Pens are going to take the 2nd seed heading into the playoffs. I think if they win out, they get it. Who would have thunk it!

Pens final 2 games:

Flyers final 2 games:

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The way the Flyers are playing, we might only have to win one to pass them.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    I have this sneaking suspicion that the Pens are going to take the 2nd seed heading into the playoffs. I think if they win out, they get it. Who would have thunk it!

Pens final 2 games:

Flyers final 2 games:

You think the Flyers will lose home Ice and the Division by losing to both the Isles and Sabres? I know the Flyers have been slumping but with something of importance on the line, I cant see them not gaining the points needed.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 29

Sabres have been pretty hot so I could see that but the Isles will put everything into the game with the Pens tonight and will likely pack it in after that.

With all this team has gone through I'd be happy with the 4 seed.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isn't there still a chance to be 5th seed?

Threads : 29

Yes, the magic number to secure the 4 spot is 2 points.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information