Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Neal stay or go if....?

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Does Neal stay or go if....?

Let's say the Bucs win 60-65 games (very possible). Let's say a few of our pitching prospects, like ZVR, Cain,Marte, etc, take some nice steps forward (very possible). Let's say our org gets ranked top ten or top 5.

Does Neal get extended or fired?

Btw, this is known as the KC Scenario.

Default Re: Does Neal stay or go if....?

ike ZVR, Cain,Marte
    That should read 'and hitting prospects like Marte, Sanchez'

Not sure what happened to that phrase....that'll teach me not to preview it first.

Threads : 36

I think if the team wins even the same amount of games and those prospects take big leaps forward, that NH will stay. If those guys take a big leap and the team signs another big time prospect at number 1 the team will jump into the top 3 in the minors.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If BN's serious about what he's been saying all along, then there's no decision here...they're building from the bottom...to me it's like bleeding air bubbles from your brake line...gotta get the fluid in at the reserve/base, and push all the air out the end...in this case the end being the major league club. We're almost there...

I kinda hope we do lose that many this year..just to hear bob and the lemmings b*tch and moan for another year...that'll make our "I told you so"'s that much more fun.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Boy this is a tough one.

Personally, I believe that the Pirates have to have a far better record this season. 5 more wins etc.. is just not cutting it. Now, there's things to take into account also, such as injuries and perhaps the unexplainable regression of a sophomore player or 2 however Huntington has to put a team out on the field and whole none of us should realistically expect a good or even average team at this point, with all of the young, unproven players we have and some of our better pitching a year or so away, he still has enough means to fill in holes temporarily to prevent the team from being one of the Worst teams in all of Baseball. That's not to say that we might not draft 4th or 5th either, but I feel as if the Pirates need to get 10 wins or more this eyar over last season for Huntington.

I like Neal's work in the draft, building from bottom up. The Plan itself is more or less one conceived by Frank and probably bob Nutting. I'd even venture to say that it was something Bob Nutting discovered going around to all of the GM's and owners and CEO's in 2007 learning g about this sport, brought in Frank to lead us in that direction and so on and so forth. The Plan to build from bottom up doesn't start and end with Huntington, it's just his to really execute.

Then there's the flipside of the MLB level right now really not being important and I've used this before with teams, mainly the Pirates in 2009... If you're going to suck and have a losing record, why strive to have a losing record that gets your the 4th, 3rd or 2nd overall pick in the draft? Why not just say "screw it" and drop games to get the #1? It's technically "winning" while "losing" IMO.

So, I believe that Huntington needs to show a 10 games improvement honestly but there's a side of me that says... if it's really close to getting us a #1 pick or not, I don't want a 10 game improvement, because it doesn't mean ****, i want the #1 pick which bares more meaning and far more value.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if the team wins even the same amount of games and those prospects take big leaps forward, that NH will stay. If those guys take a big leap and the team signs another big time prospect at number 1 the team will jump into the top 3 in the minors.
    I agree with Lup about Huntington's future being based on performance of key players, at all levels, and not so much based on wins and losses in Pittsburgh. For the record, I think NH sticks around.

But I'm not so sure about the leap from 19 to 3 in the system rankings.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NH needs to have another great draft this year and hope that the team can get into the 70 win mark. That's about what he'll have to do. If we can have another good draft we could vault into the top 5 minor league systems...and that will/would help him.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Big Ben........if NH has another great draft and the team only wins 65 games.......????

Personally, I think FC and BN realize that it isn't about the MLB wins and losses at this point in time.

Btw, since I live near Harrisburg, I get to watch when the Curve come to town. For the first time in a long time, I don't have to pick and choose when to watch a game. Now, every night, they are putting out a prospect.

I love that part.

"Now, every night, they are putting out a prospect. "
    putting out a prospect ON THE MOUND!

PREVIEW, PREVIEW, PREVIEW.

Bad Foo!

(of course, if this is the worst thing I do the rest of the year, it'll be a good year.... )

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big Ben........if NH has another great draft and the team only wins 65 games.......????

Personally, I think FC and BN realize that it isn't about the MLB wins and losses at this point in time.

Btw, since I live near Harrisburg, I get to watch when the Curve come to town. For the first time in a long time, I don't have to pick and choose when to watch a game. Now, every night, they are putting out a prospect.

I love that part.
    I think there is some value in keeping NH around and keeping him around on a per annum basis.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 691

If the Bucs lose a 100 games plus,like last season,I don't see him surviving that.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 31

If NH is sacrificed this year due to the poor performance of the Major League team a new GM would simply come in and follow the same plan. The new GM would benefit greatly from the groundwork laid by NH and probably stay here or become the 'hot' GM in baseball.

NH is a very polarizing figure in this town. The Smizik mental midgets are demanding his head while people like us can see the organizational progress. NH may not make it to see the turn around completely but he will be fondly remembered and appreciated by most of us.

I think NH stays no matter what. After all, Fast Frankie said he expects NH to be around a long time.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say Neal stays and for two reasons:

1. The positive things that Neal has done far outweigh the negative to this point and although it doesn't reflect in the Major League W-L record, the organization as a whole is vastly improved since he was hired. He has training and teaching methods are now uniformly implemented throughout the system to minimize the adjustment time for players as they advance from level to level while increasing the players own comfort level as well. This has been very successful for players going from Wilkesbare-Scranton to the Penguins.

2. When Nutting talked to Dan Rooney early on about building a winning franchise, Rooney told him to build through the draft and stability within the organization. Huntington has been very solid as a GM and has done nothing to warrant being let go. Continuing to add quality talent to the system will address the W-L record at the Major League level and will be the lifeblood of future success. To this end, NH has been more than solid and deserves to be retained.

He does need to learn more about how to talk to the media and what to say in order to eliminate embarrassing situations.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

He does need to learn more about how to talk to the media and what to say in order to eliminate embarrassing situations.
    FC needs it more than NH, IMHO.

Other than that, I agree with your whole post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information