Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

      
  1. #1
    DrKnow's Avatar
    Status : DrKnow is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 7, 2010
    Posts : 260
    Threads : 70
    Last Online : Oct-13-2011 @ 10:47 AM

    Default Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    10 No Malkin

    9 Letang has fallen off a cliff the last 3 months

    8 Staal cant add enough scoring punch

    7 Cooke will be missed. PK is slipping

    6 Only playoff team in East Conf Pens have winning record with is Buffalo

    5 Neal & Kovalev scoring drought

    4 No shoot outs in the playoffs

    3 Fluery...MVP? So what. Since the All Star break he's ranked 46th in save percentage
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...t/142/count/41

    2 The power play flat out SUCKS with no hope.

    1 No Crosby (of course 2-9 changes if he returns)

  2. #2
    El Sid's Avatar
    Status : El Sid is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 20, 2009
    Location : Cheswick, PA
    Posts : 1,707
    Threads : 61
    Last Online : Dec-20-2015 @ 11:17 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    I agree, and I've been *****ing about #2 and #6 all season.

  3. #3
    VENOM's Avatar
    Status : VENOM is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Dec 2, 2009
    Posts : 96
    Threads : 11
    Last Online : Apr-14-2015 @ 08:20 AM

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    The power play has to be the worst I've ever seen!

    I really think this team has to have some of the poorest shooters in the league. They can get 36 shots on goal and 99% are right in the goalies bread basket. Then theres the other 20 shots that miss everything!!!
    The One and Only!!!!!!

  4. #4
    (419)BlackNGold's Avatar
    Status : (419)BlackNGold is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 25, 2009
    Location : NW Ohio
    Posts : 18,418
    Threads : 206
    Last Online : Jul-16-2017 @ 01:31 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Yeah I agree with Venom. Check the curves on your sticks boys! Get in the shooting practice room (or out if you've been in.) It seems like a lot of great chances are missed wide or high... or into the goalies bread basket!

    As for #5... I've been saying seperate the two for a while now.

    One and done is disappointing... but not so much if you consider #1 and #10.
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Apr-01-2011 at 05:22 PM.

  5. #5
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    no.2 is more because of Orpik being out. Letang isn't all that defensively without Orpik. Orpik and Letang as a tandem are great. take one away from the other and there's struggle. Now, since Orpik has been back the pairing has looked rough but they just need to get that chemistry and bond back together.

    I'm more concerned about an Offense that can't score. The Power Play sucks just as much with Sid and Geno in it. it's been bad since Ryan Malone left the Burgh and we won a cup in that time frame. I'm nto worried about something that's not of importance to winning or losing but scoring in general.... we arent disciplined enough as a team to win on defense. We take way too many penalties
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  6. #6
    El Sid's Avatar
    Status : El Sid is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 20, 2009
    Location : Cheswick, PA
    Posts : 1,707
    Threads : 61
    Last Online : Dec-20-2015 @ 11:17 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no.2 is more because of Orpik being out. Letang isn't all that defensively without Orpik. Orpik and Letang as a tandem are great. take one away from the other and there's struggle. Now, since Orpik has been back the pairing has looked rough but they just need to get that chemistry and bond back together.

    I'm more concerned about an Offense that can't score. The Power Play sucks just as much with Sid and Geno in it. it's been bad since Ryan Malone left the Burgh and we won a cup in that time frame. I'm nto worried about something that's not of importance to winning or losing but scoring in general.... [HIGH-LIGHT] we arent disciplined enough as a team[/HIGH-LIGHT] to win on defense. We take way too many penalties
    Uh oh, somebody other than me said it!

  7. #7
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh oh, somebody other than me said it!
    If we had Sid or Geno I wouldn't care, it wouldn't matter and to be honest, not having Matt Cooke helps in the discipline department. We have a good PK but you simply can't rely on the PK in the playoffs to the extent we are with the type of talent we'll be facing. We have a good Defense too but with a lack of offense, it just makes it a lot more difficult and makes margin of error so slim.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  8. #8
    Steelghost's Avatar
    Status : Steelghost is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Nov 10, 2009
    Posts : 249
    Threads : 1
    Last Online : Feb-25-2014 @ 07:41 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    10 No Malkin

    I see why you say that, but their record without only Malkin this year is pretty good.
    9 Letang has fallen off a cliff the last 3 months

    I think he wore himself out trying to be a one man show. Orpik's absence also has something to do with that as Kipper said.

    8 Staal cant add enough scoring punch

    He leads the team is scoring since he's been back. Can't understand how you single him out of the group. But he sure looked listless in the last couple games.

    7 Cooke will be missed. PK is slipping

    Absolutely.

    6 Only playoff team in East Conf Pens have winning record with is Buffalo

    Are you sure about that? I thought that was Tampa's first win against us this year.
    5 Neal & Kovalev scoring drought

    They were brought in for offense, and neither has provided it short of Neil's shootout success.

    4 No shoot outs in the playoffs



    3 Fluery...MVP? So what. Since the All Star break he's ranked 46th in save percentage
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...t/142/count/41

    Never ceases to amaze me how people criticize him.

    2 The power play flat out SUCKS with no hope.

    No question about this one.

    1 No Crosby (of course 2-9 changes if he returns)

    Agreed.



  9. #9
    Steely_J's Avatar
    Status : Steely_J is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Nov 13, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts : 72
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Dec-29-2012 @ 09:17 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    I dunno. I can see this team winning the first round in 7 games. Not much after that though.

    One thing you can't put on a list is how a teams playoff mentality effects them. Look at Philly and Montreal last season. More so Philly because of how they barely made it into the playoffs.
    Hidden Content and the pirates...

  10. #10
    El Sid's Avatar
    Status : El Sid is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 20, 2009
    Location : Cheswick, PA
    Posts : 1,707
    Threads : 61
    Last Online : Dec-20-2015 @ 11:17 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    My feelings on this go up and down like the Millenium Force.

    All those top ten reasons are valid, and yet we are in fourth place with 100pts., and still within striking distance of the division lead.

    This tells me two things:
    1. Depite all the Pens' glaring problems, they are finding ways to get wins.
    2. The rest of the East is weak.

    Let me breakdown some of these points with some optimistic views:

    #10. Did we every REALLY have Malkin anyway this year?

    #9. Letang HAS fallen off a cliff, but has proven he is a quality player. Hopefully he can get his focus back for the playoffs. Also, Kipper has already pointed out that losing Orpik as a defensive partner for awhile may have hurt him a little.

    #8. Staal has come up big in the playoffs for us. As soff as he plays in the regular season, he has shown some punch in the post season.

    #7. Cook WILL be missed, but I don't think he'll be the reason we lose the first round. He would be a nice addition should we make it to the secon round.

    #6. It is disturbing that we can't beat the top 8 teams in the East. Howerver, against the current top 8 in the West, the Pens are 7-1-2 and 3-0-1 vs. the top 3, including beating the NHL's best Vancouver Canucks. So the Pens are capable of beating good teams. Even if the Pens have to sqeak by the first 3 rounds, if they can pull it off, I'm confident they can challenge any team from the West.

    #3. I think that's kind of a misleading stat. He's still getting the job done, he's still money. He's was huge in '09 to win the Cup, there is no reason to believe he can't do it again. Fleury is the LAST thing I'm worried about with this team. Actually, I like Fleury in the East. I like his experience over Bobrovsky and Neuvirth. As well as they've played they are still rookies.

    #2 The power play sucked in 08-09 too, and we were worried about it. It also gradually picked up throughout the playoffs. I know it would be naive to expect it to happen again, but it's a glimmer of hope to which I'll cling.

    #1. If Sid does come back, it'll be a huge boost. Without him, forget everything I just said.


    That leaves Neal and Kovy. I am very concerned about what could turn out to be Poni Part 2 (x2.) Maybe a Sid return helps out, maybe not.

    I know these are all big IFs. But I'd rather have a bunch of IFs than zero chance.

  11. #11
    (419)BlackNGold's Avatar
    Status : (419)BlackNGold is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 25, 2009
    Location : NW Ohio
    Posts : 18,418
    Threads : 206
    Last Online : Jul-16-2017 @ 01:31 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    [HIGH-LIGHT]10 No Malkin

    9 Letang has fallen off a cliff the last 3 months

    8 Staal cant add enough scoring punch

    7 Cooke will be missed. PK is slipping

    6 Only playoff team in East Conf Pens have winning record with is Buffalo

    5 Neal & Kovalev scoring drought

    4 No shoot outs in the playoffs

    3 Fluery...MVP? So what. Since the All Star break he's ranked 46th in save percentage
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...t/142/count/41

    2 The power play flat out SUCKS with no hope.

    1 No Crosby (of course 2-9 changes if he returns)
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]

    I think the Pens nailed all 10!

    ....See you all next fall!!!

  12. #12
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    It's a shame because I felt after the beginning of the season, this team would win it all. Then we lose Sid and Geno and even though we kept putting up points, this team just didn't look like a SC winner. I'm not surprised that they'll get taken down, but I expected more than to be done in the 1st round, FCS.

    POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

  13. #13
    BGK's Avatar
    Status : BGK is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh
    Posts : 1,391
    Threads : 34
    Last Online : Oct-09-2011 @ 04:56 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never ceases to amaze me how people criticize him.
    Never ceases to amaze me how people ignore his glaring problems.

    the guy plays goalie for one of the best teams in the NHL, so obviously his win total is going to be high, but aside from that, MAF ranks below average in every major goaltending statistic. And when you factor in that we have one of the best defenses in the league, that is pretty pathetic.

    He can't handle the puck.

    He gives up more rebounds than the rest of the goalies in the NHL COMBINED!!!!

    He goes through countless stretches where he looks awful. Yet can play one good game and make the entire city worship him.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

  14. #14
    BlackNGoldRules's Avatar
    Status : BlackNGoldRules is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts : 7,065
    Threads : 126
    Last Online : Sep-22-2012 @ 11:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never ceases to amaze me how people ignore his glaring problems.

    the guy plays goalie for one of the best teams in the NHL, so obviously his win total is going to be high, but aside from that, MAF ranks below average in every major goaltending statistic. And when you factor in that we have one of the best defenses in the league, that is pretty pathetic.

    He can't handle the puck.

    He gives up more rebounds than the rest of the goalies in the NHL COMBINED!!!!

    He goes through countless stretches where he looks awful. Yet can play one good game and make the entire city worship him.
    I agree with this somewhat, but I'll give him a bit of a pass this playoff series because the defense in front of him has also been awful! Yeah, you need your goalie to bail you out sometimes with a big save, and he does do that on occasion, but I think defense and goaltending go hand in hand. The defense can also leave a goalie out to dry and they've definitely done that to Fleury a lot in this series! The Bolts aren't getting a ton of shots, but they don't need a ton of shots when they have the scorers they have and the D is letting them get wide open in front of the net with point blank scoring chances. Fleury hasn't played well in this series, but the D has been equally as bad if not worse IMO.

  15. #15
    BlackNGoldRules's Avatar
    Status : BlackNGoldRules is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts : 7,065
    Threads : 126
    Last Online : Sep-22-2012 @ 11:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top 10 Reasons 1 & done in playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a shame because I felt after the beginning of the season, this team would win it all. Then we lose Sid and Geno and even though we kept putting up points, this team just didn't look like a SC winner. I'm not surprised that they'll get taken down, but I expected more than to be done in the 1st round, FCS.
    Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]

    I think the Pens nailed all 10!

    ....See you all next fall!!!
    Hang in there guys! Anything can happen in a game 7. Maybe they'll surprise us and score a PP goal, MAF will stand on his head, and Ryan Malone will be seen around Upper St. Clair in a couple of days! Trying to be optimistic despite my feelings!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •