Thread: Trout Fishing

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Trout Fishing

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

So, with trout fishing opening on April 16, I've spent the last few days organizing and putting my fishing gear together for the season. I've fished all my life, but oddly, never put a ton of thought or analysis into the sport. I want that to change, however fidning a good source of start me up info has been hard to come by.

I stream fish, on small streams 50 miles south of Pittsburgh in Greene County....but never really did so until the last 5 years. Growing up I fished off bottom at Duke Lake in Greene County, which has been drained, leaving me with nothing but streams. I intend to head into the mountains some this year near Ohiopyle for a a taste of some bigger stream fishing and Yough River.

Without rambling too much more....I guess I'm just looking for any guidance I can find on does and don'ts....and in particular what equipment some might suggest.

I use a 4'8 Ugly Stick, love it's length (can't stand longer poles stream fishing), with a Zebco 202 Spincast reel. I've never used a open faced spinning real, what would be an advantage of doing so....and almost never hear about baitcast reels for stream fishing. I've also never really put any money into a nice reel.

I've been trying to read up on fishing line and I have used in the last few years vanish flurocarbon 4 pound test...i don't recall having any problems, but then again i wouldn't have given any problems much more thought than it was me screwing something up.

I have almost exclusively fished with redhook Panther martins....mostly the yellow with red dot...and love it....tried different spinners/rooster tails/ spoons, and always end up with the PM on my line.....I've bought some Rapala's this year to tinker with, never dreamed of using them, but the more I read it seams to be an acquired taste.

So, i guess I'm just looking for a little convo on trout fishing and see if anyone has some suggestions.
    Last edited by SteelKeg; Apr-03-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Default Re: Trout Fishing

Obviosuly different situations call for different equipment....does fishing in the Yough call for a different setup of rod/reel? I see where people use long rods...I prefer short....is it a matter of preference and weight, or does certain fish type or environment garner different poles?

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do a lot of baitfishing in creeks, but if I were fishing the river I'd use heavier line. The water is probably going to be darker and will move around more, a heavier line might serve you better in these conditions. I use 6lb in creeks and I'd favor 8lb on a river. Line size and fishing eyesight is over-rated IMO.

Lures - if you're using spinners, use a tiny swivel to keep your line from knotting. Plus it makes it easier to switch up and you should do that often. Try a bright spinner first and if that's slow, switch to another color.

If you're using bait (worms are the best IMO, small pieces), put a small split shot about 8" away from the hook, cast upstream and let it bounce along the bottom. Slower moving water also, pools an'at. Keep away from faster water unless you're fishing the edge of it.

Weather is important also. I don't know the exact temps but if the water is still cold (for spring), I wouldn't bother. Go back next week or the week after when it warms up.

I might head back to northern PA in mid May to hit my old creeks. I'm in NH now and for now I'm scouting the area. Fishing is pretty much open all year round here but they start stocking around now - but it's too cold. I might head out and see what I can dig up later toward the end of the month if it warms up a bit.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

As for poles, on small creeks I favor a light, short rod. Easier to maneuver in the brush and you don't need to throw your line across the county. Rivers - if you're wide open, take a longer pole. Even with smaller poles, I like larger reels - spin casting. Smaller spools will loop up lighter line and I have hooked a few big ones over the years. It's tough pulling in a 25+ incher with a light rod and small reel.

Yeah I prefer the lighter short pole for the streams I am on...sometimes in holes no bigger around than a car tire.

I read all kinds of stuff on line size and flurocarbon vs mono vs braided...hell, I never really paid much attention. I've been reading about leaders too...but just doesn't seem necessary in small streams, maybe more so on a river, not sure.

I have a 4 year old daughter, I take her lake/pond fishing some, but there isn't much to that with her...pull up a chair, put a worm on the hook, bobber on the line, and wait for it to smack the pole....that's how I grew up fishing with my dad, and it has a certain comfort and simpleness to it that makes it fun....but anything and everything you did there, does you no good in a stream.

Just seems to be so much gear, I'm not sure is what is worth sinking a little money into...I only have my stream ugly Sticks at this point and if I go to the river, I'd like a different rig, so I'm not constantly having to change setups.

I start fishing a couple weeks after the season starts. I let all the LL Bean flatlanders with their $500 rod/reel, fly fishing, poser outfits have at it and when they fade off, I go out and knock 'em dead.

I spend very little money on my gear. Poles I've had forever, I take care of the reels. Line - I use Shakespeare from a big spool - the 600 yard variety. I like my line to be as straight as possible, no curls and I get a better line from a bigger spool (on a bigger reel spool). Plain size 8 hooks and a few slipshots and that's my stuff. With a can of worms in one pocket and a few extra hooks, splitshots in the other (pocket knife and stringer), that's it. Travel light, makes moving around easier.

Rubber knee boots and a raincoat. Nothing fancy, but it works.

The best part is meeting one of these LL Bean guys out there when they get skunked and I show them a stringer full of fish.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In terms of bait, just go with maggots... straight maggots.

Worms work fine, but all too often, the fish will just nip and nip at them and not fully engulf the worm and hook. Maggots are much tougher for them to pull off, so they are much more likely to swallow the hook going for the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by norm632 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of bait, just go with maggots... straight maggots.

Worms work fine, but all too often, the fish will just nip and nip at them and not fully engulf the worm and hook. Maggots are much tougher for them to pull off, so they are much more likely to swallow the hook going for the bait.
    I buy redworms and rip off a piece just big enough to cover the hook. Nothing dangles in the water and when they hit it, they're virtually immediately hooked. I've caught 2 or more fish on the same worm piece.

A can or two of two dozen redworms will last me the entire season.

But it could be anything. I've ran out of worms and used slugs or bugs that I've dug up by the shore. It just has to be natural and moving (through the water, not on the hook).

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by SteelKeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I intend to head into the mountains some this year near Ohiopyle for a a taste of some bigger stream fishing and Yough River.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11095/1136964-358.stm

Stocking schedule I saw in the PG this morning. A few of those are just over the mountain from Ohiopyle. Laurel Hill and Whites Creek in particular.

My dad actually lives right on the Yough just below the dam.

Threads : 1632

Face hooked live minnows kill em' too. Wise big trout will fall for those. For brookies and bows, the powerbait in the jar is wildly deadly. But browns will rarely touch it. Try the rainbow color first. My go to. Next best is green then yellow. Most the other colors won't catch diddly. I've tried em all. All great advice above. Use everything till you find what the fish dig on a specific stream. Crazy how much that can vary.

Oh ditch the spincast. With open faced spin reels your casting accuracy should improve a lot. Important in tight quarters. The only really line sight sensitive fish I've caught are steelhead. The opposite are salmon, which will tag a closeline. lol

Good luck and don't forget to tell fishermans' lies. Like exactly where and how you caught em. LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information