Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inuries

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't know how I missed that, I guess perception isn't reality . Losing Smith isn't going to help though.
    No doubt that it's not going to help. Well, Eason, Kirschke, and Hood better be ready to go. I guess we'll finally get to see what Zig can do out there. He looked good in the preseason, but I know that ain't saying much.

Threads : 102

Aaron Smith out with shoulder injury
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Just as the Steelers welcome the possible return of safety Troy Polamalu this week, it appears they have lost the services of defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith's right shoulder was injured in Detroit Sunday and coach Mike Tomlin said today it "potentially could be significant."

Tomlin said the injury potentially could keep Smith out for awhile, pending the result of tests today.

The Steelers regard Smith as the best 3-4 end in football.

Tomlin said Ziggy Hood, their first-round draft choice, is not yet ready to replace Smith as the starter and they would do so "by committee."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09286...#ixzz0TqpqLyHZ

Does anybody even remember this happening? I don´t recall Smith coming out of the game let alone who took over for him.

Threads : 691

Aaron Smith's injury 'could be significant'
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Coach Mike Tomlin delivered the good news first during his weekly press conference - running back Willie Parker and safety Troy Polamalu are scheduled to return to practice on Wednesday.

But then, it was the bad news.

Defensive end Aaron Smith suffered a right shoulder injury against the Lions, an injury that could be “significant.”

“The most significant injury of note is Aaron Smith,” said Tomlin. “He has a right shoulder injury, one that is being evaluated right now and potentially could be significant. We’ll deal with that information as we get it. At this point we are evaluating him and potentially he could definitely be out of this football game.

“I don’t know the answer to the length of time at this point. I will acknowledge that (the injury) is potentially significant. He hurt it in the football game.”

If Smith is unable to go this week or beyond, Tomlin is looking at a group effort to fill the void, a group that includes Travis Kirschke, who suffered tightness in his back against the Lions, Nick Eason, who was inactive for the game, and rookie No. 1 pick Ziggy Hood, who has seen some playing time but is still a work in progress.

“He has played in just about every football game,” said Tomlin of Hood. “He has played on special teams in some games; he has had more defensive snaps in others. He played a pretty significant portion of the game this week. He is a young guy who is on the come. He has a lot of talent. He is not out of the oven yet, if you will, and we acknowledge that. He acknowledges that. As long as we continue to do that he will move in the right direction. He will continue along those lines in terms of participation. By no means is Ziggy Hood a potential replacement for Aaron Smith at this point. It will probably be a committee of bodies to try and fill that void.”

Polamalu returned to practice in a limited role in the days leading up to the game against the Lions for his first action since spraining the knee in the second quarter of the season opener, but Parker has not practiced at all since injuring his toe in Cincinnati.

“We are looking forward to getting Willie Parker and Troy back to work,” said Tomlin. “Both guys are scheduled to participate in practice tomorrow. We’ll let those guys do that, hopefully without any limitations but we’ll be light on our feet. We’ll evaluate the availability as they proceed in the week. It will be interesting to see how they respond on Thursday morning after having a day’s work on Wednesday. We’ll continue to monitor those situations day to day.”

Also on the injury front Trai Essex and Andre Frazier will be limited in practice early in the week, and Tomlin said Chris Kemoeatu got through the game in Detroit without re-injuring his ank

Threads : 23

I thought they said Ziggy was picking up everything really fast in camp and preseason? How could he not be ready yet? The more I'm thinking about it. It seems like we're putting a guy who keeps getting cut, and a guy with a bad back before our #1 draft pick.

Threads : 3263

“The most significant injury of note is Aaron Smith,” said Tomlin. “He has a right shoulder injury, one that is being evaluated right now and potentially could be significant. We’ll deal with that information as we get it. At this point we are evaluating him and potentially he could definitely be out of this football game.

“I don’t know the answer to the length of time at this point. I will acknowledge that (the injury) is potentially significant. He hurt it in the football game.”

If Smith is unable to go this week or beyond, Tomlin is looking at a group effort to fill the void, a group that includes Travis Kirschke, who suffered tightness in his back against the Lions, Nick Eason, who was inactive for the game, and rookie No. 1 pick Ziggy Hood, who has seen some playing time but is still a work in progress.
    Kirschke is a decent replacement for a shorter timelength IMO, but not for the remainder of the season.... Hood, as said, is still learning and may have to grow-up quick.... Yea, we've all seen the effect of Troy being out, but this could possibly be alot more serious for the squad... I want MORE information, ****it!
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Kirschke is a decent replacement for a shorter timelength IMO, but not for the remainder of the season.... Hood, as said, is still learning and may have to grow-up quick.... Yea, we've all seen the effect of Troy being out, but this could possibly be alot more serious for the squad... I want MORE information, ****it!

I say get Hood the **** out there and let's see what he is made of.
    Your 3rd and 4th round picks are work in progress guys not your first rounders. He may be a little rough around the edges in the beggining but I am sure with each passing game he will only get better.

sjdrewk

WE can win the Superbowl this year but not if we can't avoid key injuries like this...

If Smith is infact gone for a long extended period, or the season, I am SURE we will see plenty of Hood.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Here's Lolley's comments from today.... Looks like we'll see some of Hood, and Smith won't be evaluated till this Thursday...
    --------------------------------

Steelers could get Polamalu, Parker, back, lose Smith

The hits just keep on coming for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Though they are likely to get Troy Polamalu and Willie Parker back in the lineup this week, they could lose Aaron Smith.

The star defensive end suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the win against Detroit and was being evaluated Thursday.

It's likely he won't play this week against Cleveland and there is the possibility it could be even longer than that.

Look for Travis Kirschke to step into the starting lineup this week against Cleveland, rotating with Travis Kirschke and rookie Ziggy Hood.

Hood's not quite ready to step into a starting role just yet, though he has gotten better at holding the point of attack.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Ugh.... Smith was the last one I wanted to see injured....
    Personally,I would say Ben is the last one I want to see injured,but to each his own.Anyway,losing Smith sucks a whole,whole lot.

Threads : 135

Les, I would say that in many ways Smith (some could argue Farrior) is our Ben on D. I mean just look at how our team a couple years ago faired against Jacksonville without Smith. Smith is, I would say easily, the best 34 DE in the NFL.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Les, I would say that in many ways Smith (some could argue Farrior) is our Ben on D. I mean just look at how our team a couple years ago faired against Jacksonville without Smith. Smith is, I would say easily, the best 34 DE in the NFL.
    While I do agree the Aaron Smith is a VERY good player on our D,I would have to say that if anyone resembles Ben on our D,it would have to be Troy Polamalu.Smith is getting up there in age.Maybe this is the opportunity to see what Ziggy Hood can really do??

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Holy Crap a BigBen2112 sighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Personally,I would say Ben is the last one I want to see injured,but to each his own.Anyway,losing Smith sucks a whole,whole lot.
    ... Guess I should have said "on defense".....

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it turns out the Steelers are gonna be without Smith for a long period of time, I am sure we could trade rape the raiders for Richard Seymore!
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information