Thread: Bengals-Steelers: 10 observations

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bengals-Steelers: 10 observations

This is from ESPN.com's Scouts, Inc. Insider content:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scout...meId=291115023

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Bengals-Steelers matchup.

1. Cincinnati needs to challenge the Steelers in the trenches: This will clearly be a physical test of wills with first place in the division at stake. The Steelers are coming off an impressive road victory and will want to avenge an early season loss to the Bengals. Look for Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to take a "man up" approach to this contest with a challenge to his linemen on both sides of the ball.

2. The Bengals need to keep QB Carson Palmer upright: Cincinnati is much improved with its pass protection in 2009 but the Steelers will bring the heat with an aggressive defensive game plan. It will be important to keep the pocket clean for Palmer to scan the field and find the voids in the Pittsburgh secondary.

3. The Bengals' defense needs to corral Big Ben: Pittsburgh's offense has been pass-happy in 2009 and much of their success is the ability of QB Ben Roethlisberger to extend the play and improvise out of the pocket. His strength and instincts to elude pressure are outstanding, so the Cincinnati defense will need to focus on staying in its rush lanes and bringing down Big Ben when they penetrate protection.

4. Win special teams phase of the game: It will be important to make the Steelers drive the length of the field by pinning them deep with great special-teams play. The Cincinnati coverage units have been solid thus far and they have capable returners to change field position.

5. Matchup to watch: Bengals WR Chad Ochocinco versus Steelers CB Ike Taylor: Ochocinco is the Bengals' most explosive offensive player and has the quickness and burst to stretch the Pittsburgh secondary. Taylor is a physical defender who will get up in Ochocinco's face to disrupt him at the line of scrimmage.

6. Pittsburgh will need balance offensively: The Steelers have found an effective ground game over the past few weeks. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians needs to keep sight of offensive balance and establishing an effective running attack this week. Pittsburgh has been impressive with an expanded air assault in 2009 but keeping the Bengals guessing will be important.

7. Expect lots of throws to stretch the Bengals' secondary: Cincinnati lost its best pass-rusher, Antwan Odom, to injury, which could give Roethlisberger more time to let patterns develop and deliver the ball downfield more often. The Steelers have capable perimeter targets to stretch the improved Bengals secondary and Arians probably will be aggressive attacking deep.

8. Pittsburgh needs to stop the run: The Bengals averaged 5.3 yard per carry in their Week 3 victory and RB Cedric Benson is having his best year as a pro. The Steelers are excellent defending the run (70 yards a game) and will need to step up again this week to make Cincinnati one-dimensional.

9. Look for Pittsburgh to be aggressive to flush Palmer: Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will dial up a variety of pressure packages. Palmer is less effective improvising out of the pocket. Bringing interior stunts and linebacker blitzes up the middle should get him out of his comfort zone.

10. Matchup to watch: Steelers OLB James Harrison versus Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth: Harrison, last year's defensive player of the year, has been heating up over the past few weeks and will be attacking off the edge to collapse the Bengals' pass protection. Harrison has excellent quickness, instincts and deceptive strength to challenge the sound Whitworth on the edge. If Whitworth can keep Harrison at bay, the advantage swings to Cincinnati, but he will have his hands full in this battle.

Prediction
    Cincinnati 23
    Pittsburgh 24

Threads : 3263

Default Re: Bengals-Steelers: 10 observations

That's a good read.... I agree with that type of score as well... The paper this morning had the over/under at 41 1/2 (I believe)...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man was that long winded but if you really read it, most of those points talk about what Cincinnati needs to "attempt" to do. Here's his couple of points for the Steelers, which aren't really that good..

6. Pittsburgh will need balance offensively: The Steelers have found an effective ground game over the past few weeks. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians needs to keep sight of offensive balance and establishing an effective running attack this week. Pittsburgh has been impressive with an expanded air assault in 2009 but keeping the Bengals guessing will be important.

No ****ing ****, BUT, we should be airing it out more against a porous Cincinnati pass defense. Can anyone name a single player on the Bengals defense outside of Keith Rivers (who we only know cause Ward busted him up?)

7. Expect lots of throws to stretch the Bengals' secondary: Cincinnati lost its best pass-rusher, Antwan Odom, to injury, which could give Roethlisberger more time to let patterns develop and deliver the ball downfield more often. The Steelers have capable perimeter targets to stretch the improved Bengals secondary and Arians probably will be aggressive attacking deep.

We should be throwing it on Cincinnati regardless of who is injured on their team. Their secondary is like 4 William Gay's

8. Pittsburgh needs to stop the run: The Bengals averaged 5.3 yard per carry in their Week 3 victory and RB Cedric Benson is having his best year as a pro. The Steelers are excellent defending the run (70 yards a game) and will need to step up again this week to make Cincinnati one-dimensional.

That's pretty basic. That 5.3 YPC is skewed because of our 4th quarter collapse. Benson only managed a paltry 3.3 ypc through the first 3 quarters. I expect that to be the max Benson could finish with in this game, along with gaining under 70 yards

9. Look for Pittsburgh to be aggressive to flush Palmer: Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will dial up a variety of pressure packages. Palmer is less effective improvising out of the pocket. Bringing interior stunts and linebacker blitzes up the middle should get him out of his comfort zone.

Important but not really any sort of specific game key since this should be a requirement against any opponent, not just one with a busted up leg who is half the QB he was 4 years ago.

10. Matchup to watch: Steelers OLB James Harrison versus Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth: Harrison, last year's defensive player of the year, has been heating up over the past few weeks and will be attacking off the edge to collapse the Bengals' pass protection. Harrison has excellent quickness, instincts and deceptive strength to challenge the sound Whitworth on the edge. If Whitworth can keep Harrison at bay, the advantage swings to Cincinnati, but he will have his hands full in this battle.

Again, this isn't really a specific game key, this should be a requirement for any game. Every defense is going to face some sort of pass rush threat they need to find a way to contain. For the Steelers it is always a requirement in every game no matter who the team and QB are, to apply pressure with our outside linebackers, especially with William Gay attempting to cover someone.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a good read.... I agree with that type of score as well... The paper this morning had the over/under at 41 1/2 (I believe)...
    Steelers 24 Bengals 10

My alternative is Steelers 27 Bengals 13.

Reasons?

We could've put up 27 in the last meeting had Sweed caught that easy touchdown. Our offense has been playing much better and we put up 28 points on a better overall defense in Denver on the road. Pk, 21 points, since a TD was a pick 6 against Denver. But 21 against a better defense on the road easily could equal 24-27 against a worst defense at home.

Up until the 4th quarter in the previous meeting, the Bengals offense put up 3 points on us. Protect the ball and don't have a 4th quarter meltdown and 10-13 against is pretty realistic. Shut down Benson and the Bengals offense sputters

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Man was that long winded but if you really read it, most of those points talk about what Cincinnati needs to "attempt" to do. Here's his couple of points for the Steelers, which aren't really that good..

No ****ing ****, BUT, we should be airing it out more against a porous Cincinnati pass defense. Can anyone name a single player on the Bengals defense outside of Keith Rivers (who we only know cause Ward busted him up?)

Rey Maualuga and Leon Hall, I know them only because I wanted the Steelers to draft them in each of their respective drafts.

We should be throwing it on Cincinnati regardless of who is injured on their team. Their secondary is like 4 William Gay's

So it's like being at a party at Les' house

That's pretty basic. That 5.3 YPC is skewed because of our 4th quarter collapse. Benson only managed a paltry 3.3 ypc through the first 3 quarters. I expect that to be the max Benson could finish with in this game, along with gaining under 70 yards

Christ, we're gonna make him look like Benson DuBois. *

Important but not really any sort of specific game key since this should be a requirement against any opponent, not just one with a busted up leg who is half the QB he was 4 years ago.

Nonetheless it's still a key to the game. If we leave Palmer back there, he'll pick us apart. Even after being cornholed too much the night before.

Again, this isn't really a specific game key, this should be a requirement for any game. Every defense is going to face some sort of pass rush threat they need to find a way to contain. For the Steelers it is always a requirement in every game no matter who the team and QB are, to apply pressure with our outside linebackers, especially with William Gay attempting to cover someone.

I'd just be happy if the refs actually call some holding penalties like they should.

Yeah, but if we leave any QB back there with time in the pocket, they'll pick us apart. That's not just on Carson Palmer, Derek Anderson could do it if allowed time. So, I can't consider it a key to this particular game. That's a key and requirement for every game

@ the Les comment. that was pure gold and don't post no golden girls pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Yeah, but if we leave any QB back there with time in the pocket, they'll pick us apart. That's not just on Carson Palmer, Derek Anderson could do it if allowed time. So, I can't consider it a key to this particular game. That's a key and requirement for every game

@ the Les comment. that was pure gold and don't post no golden girls pictures

Like I can't hit that softball...

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really just dont see this bein' that close. I hope that Im wrong and am not proved wrong...but seriously...we could have very well DESTROYED them in their own house if Sweed could catch and if we didn't have a D that couldn't stop a snail. We now have Troy back (has helped the D)...we now have a true #1 runningback--atleast he appears to be--and we now have a VERY reliable #3 WR. Oh...and we're at HOME this time. *shrug*...just how I see it.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 135

PS: If we get the chance...I hope we go college style and embarrass them. Again...just how I would LIKE to see it.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post

Shows what you know,van.I don't even have a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Shows what you know,van.I don't even have a house.

Have one. Work in one. Same difference.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Have one. Work in one. Same difference.

Hey now.I am not an older,gay,Englishman.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information