Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long until...

Threads : 138

Default How long until...

Pedro Ciriaco is the everyday SS?

Cedeno has been in a funk in the field since last September. Crotta got him a perfect DP ball last night and Cedeno bobbled it and almost cost us the game and forced Hanrahan to get 4 outs. He's had a string of errors in the first few games.

From what I've read from Dunlap and others is that J-Rod (stupid name but easy to type) is good for a spot start but isn't good enough to play there everyday.

If Cedeno doesn't get his head together soon, I could see Pedro Ciriaco being the everyday SS by May 1....

Threads : 36

Default Re: How long until...

Right now all the team needs out of the position is someone to make the routine play. I know that J-Rod isn't any great defensive player, but can he make the routine play?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pedro Ciriaco is the everyday SS?

Cedeno has been in a funk in the field since last September. Crotta got him a perfect DP ball last night and Cedeno bobbled it and almost cost us the game and forced Hanrahan to get 4 outs. He's had a string of errors in the first few games.

From what I've read from Dunlap and others is that J-Rod (stupid name but easy to type) is good for a spot start but isn't good enough to play there everyday.

If Cedeno doesn't get his head together soon, I could see Pedro Ciriaco being the everyday SS by May 1....
    His OBP has improved by Cedeno is hitting .230 and the question about Ciriaco has been his bat. .231 BA... Is that worth holding onto if you can improve the defense?

I can't see too many more of these gaffes by cedeno being allowed. They aren't physical either, they are all mental too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 24

He's been a mess on the field but has actually produced some quality at-bats hitting in the eight spot, so overall it's a mixed bag. Maybe the colder weather has been a factor with his fielding?

Threads : 18

I'm not convinced that Ciriaco is the answer, either. Although it was a small sample of games I saw in FL, he didn't impress me, either.

I'm not aware of anyone we have within call-up range that could be the defensive "answer" at SS that could hit above the Mendoza line.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a feeling that Hurdle has him on a short leash. Not only did he bobble that double play ball, he was out of position on another one where if Walker doesn't make a helluva throw, they don't even get one out.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 138

Here are some excerpts about SS from Colin Dunlap's chat today:

-- Colin Dunlap: I don't think Josh Rodriguez will be the every day SS. At least not anytime soon, and more than likely not ever here in Pittsburgh. I will say this: Josh Rodriguez, if I were a betting man in this regard, will start a game before the team comes back to Pittsburgh on Thursday.

-- Had Ciriaco made this club, I think there would be a shorter leash. From what I saw in spring training, Ciriaco wasn't far behind -- if at all -- defensively. He had miles to go offensively, though.

-- don't think we'd see Chase (D'Arnaud) this season --- barring an injury. His recent development hasn't been what was expected, at least that's what I have heard. But he still has a tremendous opportunity moving forward. I said this a week or so ago...there is no one, in all of the organization, who has a make or break season the likes of Chase. He can become the big league SS if he plays well this season, or he can turn into the prospect that never really made it big. Much hinges on the next few months for him.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say give Rodriguez a shot at starting. If the SS is going to make mistakes in the field anyway, might as well have someone who at least has some offensive potential.

The thing about Ciriaco is that he didn't hit bad this spring at all if I recall. I know that it's ST and you can't really rely on ST results but if they are going to be brought into a conversation discussing ones' ability and such as Colin Dunlap is doing here then you have to include Spring Training results. What Colin Dunlap saw in ST was Ciriaco hit .333 and strike out very seldomly. He didn't draw any walks.

I'm not a big Ciriaco fan at all. The only reason I continue to mention him is because Defense at SS is going to far outweigh what offensive contributions we get, especially from the 8 spot in the lineup. Cedeno is a .255-ish hitter. You get down into the .250's and you simply are hitting below average. I see more value in better defense at SS without pitchers than I do in being concerned with the mild difference of a .255-.220 batting average from the 8 spot.

That's just me though

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The thing about Ciriaco is that he didn't hit bad this spring at all if I recall. I know that it's ST and you can't really rely on ST results but if they are going to be brought into a conversation discussing ones' ability and such as Colin Dunlap is doing here then you have to include Spring Training results. What Colin Dunlap saw in ST was Ciriaco hit .333 and strike out very seldomly. He didn't draw any walks.

I'm not a big Ciriaco fan at all. The only reason I continue to mention him is because Defense at SS is going to far outweigh what offensive contributions we get, especially from the 8 spot in the lineup. Cedeno is a .255-ish hitter. You get down into the .250's and you simply are hitting below average. I see more value in better defense at SS without pitchers than I do in being concerned with the mild difference of a .255-.220 batting average from the 8 spot.

That's just me though
    Perfect example of what you're saying was Jack Wilson. I know he saved a bunch of games with his glove, where Cedeno seems to want to give them away.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pirates needed to move on JJ Hardy this offseason. Oh well.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 5

Rodriguez today so far: Error, 0-3 with 2 awful looking K's.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bonds#1 View Post
    Rodriguez today so far: Error, 0-3 with 2 awful looking K's.
    I believe they changed the error to a hit. FYI.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 5

Ah, I see that. Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    The Pirates needed to move on JJ Hardy this offseason. Oh well.
    they had interest in him but im not sure what happened. He went to Baltimore so it's not he chose a better team . Baltimore probably offered him a figure too good to be true and the Pirates/Huntington still feel that Cedeno can be adequate thus valuing Hardy less than probably Baltimore did who had a larger need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information