Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Was Cutch a decoy?

      
  1. #1
    Steelreign's Avatar

    Status : Steelreign is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wheatfield, Indiana
    Posts : 18,943
    Threads : 227
    Last Online : Nov-02-2016 @ 07:58 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Thumbs up Was Cutch a decoy?

    I believe he was and maybe it is because of what can be considered a magical start to this season, but why else would he be out on the on-deck circle while olsen is sitting in the dug-out with a batting helmet and a jacket on when he is the next hitter after Tabata? Clearly Tracy was duped/outsmarted by the guy he replaced. When is the last time a Pirates manager outsmarted anyone? These are usually the little things that happen during "special" seasons.....aren't they?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

  2. #2
    AkronSteel's Avatar
    Status : AkronSteel is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Apr 9, 2010
    Posts : 50
    Threads : 7
    Last Online : Nov-21-2011 @ 09:31 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe he was and maybe it is because of what can be considered a magical start to this season, but why else would he be out on the on-deck circle while olsen is sitting in the dug-out with a batting helmet and a jacket on when he is the next hitter after Tabata? Clearly Tracy was duped/outsmarted by the guy he replaced. When is the last time a Pirates manager outsmarted anyone? These are usually the little things that happen during "special" seasons.....aren't they?
    As a Pirate Fan since 1979 I can honestly say I don't really remember what a special season feels like but I do think it was a good managerial move. What's the worst that could happen? Tracy figuring it out and pitching around Tabata would leave us exactly where we were and Hurdle, from what it looks like, actually tricked JT into believing that McCutch was up next. It was a brilliant move and it worked out for the Buccos. This Hurdle guy....I like him!!!

  3. #3
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    I 100% agree Hurdle hoodwinked Tracy by sending Cutch out there. Tracy must have forgot the Pirates batting order.

  4. #4
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe he was and maybe it is because of what can be considered a magical start to this season, but why else would he be out on the on-deck circle while olsen is sitting in the dug-out with a batting helmet and a jacket on when he is the next hitter after Tabata? Clearly Tracy was duped/outsmarted by the guy he replaced. When is the last time a Pirates manager outsmarted anyone? These are usually the little things that happen during "special" seasons.....aren't they?
    Hurdle didn't do anything out of the ordinary. This practice happens all the time.

  5. #5
    BigBadBuccoDaddy's Avatar
    Status : BigBadBuccoDaddy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 29, 2009
    Posts : 12
    Threads : 0
    Last Online : Oct-29-2013 @ 09:11 PM

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    That may be, but when there are two outs managers don't pitch to a guy hitting nearly .350 while there is a pitcher who has 6 at bats total in his life and none since 2009 on deck. That practice does NOT happen all the time.

  6. #6
    vandelay industries's Avatar
    Status : vandelay industries is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Nov 2, 2009
    Posts : 2,269
    Threads : 150
    Last Online : Mar-18-2014 @ 04:30 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hurdle didn't do anything out of the ordinary. This practice happens all the time.
    Maybe standard practice to try and dupe teams and one up them in MLB, but not for recent Pirates past.

    I mean I can't recall hearing about any of our last handful of managers attempting suck things.

  7. #7
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    It's nice to see a Manager do what is in his title - Manage. Manage his players/team and in this instance manage a game.

    Although I'm sure in this instance, the guy he was attempted to fool isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I'd be surprised if Tracy weren't either..

    A. Sleeping
    B. Napping
    C. Partially awake but not paying attention.

    Good of Hurdle to take advantage of Jim Tracy
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  8. #8
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    It's nice to see a Manager do what is in his title - Manage. Manage his players/team and in this instance manage a game.

    Although I'm sure in this instance, the guy he was attempted to fool isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I'd be surprised if Tracy weren't either..

    A. Sleeping
    B. Napping
    C. Partially awake but not paying attention.

    Good of Hurdle to take advantage of Jim Tracy
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  9. #9
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBuccoDaddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be, but when there are two outs managers don't pitch to a guy hitting nearly .350 while there is a pitcher who has 6 at bats total in his life and none since 2009 on deck. [HIGH-LIGHT]That practice does NOT happen all the time[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Sure it does unless maybe your name is Albert Pujols.
    There was a runner on 1st not in scoring position. Should they have walked Tababa with no one on 1st and the pitcher on deck?

  10. #10
    Waiting for LaRoche's Avatar
    Status : Waiting for LaRoche is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Feb 4, 2010
    Location : Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts : 545
    Threads : 91
    Last Online : Oct-24-2012 @ 06:17 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Just playing devil's advocate here.

    There are lineup cards all over the dugout.
    It was the 14th inning in a game that was running more than 5 hours long.
    Don't you think at that point you might just want to start playing the game straight up and what ever happens, happens?

    Believe me, this is no defense of Tracy.
    I can't stand that guy.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

  11. #11
    Waiting for LaRoche's Avatar
    Status : Waiting for LaRoche is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Feb 4, 2010
    Location : Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts : 545
    Threads : 91
    Last Online : Oct-24-2012 @ 06:17 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just playing devil's advocate here.

    There are lineup cards all over the dugout.
    It was the 14th inning in a game that was running more than 5 hours long.
    Don't you think at that point you might just want to start playing the game straight up and what ever happens, happens?

    Believe me, this is no defense of Tracy.
    I can't stand that guy.

    Ahhh I take it all back.
    This from Dejean today

    "but I also recall many occasions during Tracy's time in Pittsburgh where Tracy completely blew a decision or strategy, then found a way to blame the players when I or someone else would ask about it."

    http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ning-links-4-9
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

  12. #12
    Waiting for LaRoche's Avatar
    Status : Waiting for LaRoche is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Feb 4, 2010
    Location : Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts : 545
    Threads : 91
    Last Online : Oct-24-2012 @ 06:17 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just playing devil's advocate here.

    There are lineup cards all over the dugout.
    It was the 14th inning in a game that was running more than 5 hours long.
    Don't you think at that point you might just want to start playing the game straight up and what ever happens, happens?

    Believe me, this is no defense of Tracy.
    I can't stand that guy.

    Ahhh I take it all back.
    This from Dejean today

    "but I also recall many occasions during Tracy's time in Pittsburgh where Tracy completely blew a decision or strategy, then found a way to blame the players when I or someone else would ask about it."

    http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ning-links-4-9
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

  13. #13
    El Sid's Avatar
    Status : El Sid is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 20, 2009
    Location : Cheswick, PA
    Posts : 1,707
    Threads : 61
    Last Online : Dec-20-2015 @ 11:17 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure it does unless maybe your name is Albert Pujols.
    There was a runner on 1st not in scoring position. [HIGH-LIGHT] Should they have walked Tababa with no one on 1st and the pitcher on deck?[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    The first inning is not a win or lose situation like the bottom of the 14th is. In that situation, Tabata's double was equally as effective as a home run. That's not true in the 1st.

    I don't remember if the Pirates had anyone left on the bench, or bulpen, but if so, hell yeah, you pitch around Tabata to get to the pitcher. You make the Bucs use up their bench and bullpen, not knowing how much longer the game could last.

    But even if the Bucs had been out of options, and Olsen would have had to hit, then yes, you ABSOLUTELY still pitch around Tabata. A runner with any type of speed on first with two outs, for all intesive purposes, IS IN SCORING POSITION. (Let's not forget the fact that Tabata has been hitting well.) There's no worry about a double play with two outs. Rodriguez was running on contact. He was probably past second before the ball even hit the wall, and a few feet from third when it hit the ground. He scored standing up. Had there been one out, I'm thinking it's runners on second and third, or a play at the plate.

    You sure as hell don't put the winning run on second if McCutchen is batting next. I don't really know if sending Cutch out there tircked anyone, but the Rockies were still foolish for giving Tabata something to hit.

  14. #14
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The first inning is not a win or lose situation like the bottom of the 14th is. In that situation, Tabata's double was equally as effective as a home run. That's not true in the 1st.
    Who said anything about the 1st inning?

  15. #15
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Was Cutch a decoy?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But even if the Bucs had been out of options, and Olsen would have had to hit, then yes, you [HIGH-LIGHT]ABSOLUTELY[/HIGH-LIGHT] still pitch around Tabata. A runner with any type of speed on first with two outs, for all intesive purposes, IS IN SCORING POSITION. (Let's not forget the fact that Tabata has been hitting well.) There's no worry about a double play with two outs. Rodriguez was running on contact. He was probably past second before the ball even hit the wall, and a few feet from third when it hit the ground. He scored standing up. Had there been one out, I'm thinking it's runners on second and third, or a play at the plate.

    You sure as hell don't put the winning run on second if McCutchen is batting next. I don't really know if sending Cutch out there tircked anyone, but the Rockies were still foolish for giving Tabata something to hit.
    When you use the word ABSOLUTELY......then your post becomes.....B U L L S H I T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •