Thread: Sporting News Has Its Entire 7 Round Mock Up

Threads : 277

Default Sporting News Has Its Entire 7 Round Mock Up

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/...ckdraft/1.html

(They also have their "positional rankings" off to the left and their top 100 players link at the top of the page.)

Lots of good mock information!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sporting News Has Its Entire 7 Round Mock Up

Duly noted and bookmarked. Thanks!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1.31 (31) Steelers J.J. Watt* DE Wis.
    2.31 (63) Steelers Curtis Brown CB Texas
    3.31 (95) Steelers Casey Matthews ILB Oregon
    4.31 (128) Steelers Daniel Kilgore G Appalachian St
    5.31 (162) Steelers Denarius Moore WR Tennessee
    6.31 (196) Steelers Anthony Allen RB Georgia Tech
    7.29 (232) Steelers Wayne Daniels OLB TCU
    I'll break this down, pick for pick:

Watt is intriguing where he concerns us. Problem is, he won't last this long. What he brings to the table is too good for most 3-4 teams to pass up. He'll be long gone by the time pick 1.31 is OTC. If the Steelers stand pat with this pick, they will do better to address their need at CB, where there will be at least two or more viable options if a gift like Taylor or Pouncey doesn't fall to them.

Brown, it would seem, might be better to wait on if he were available in the 3rd. OTOH, the Steelers really need a CB in the first two rounds. When Jordy Nelson tears your DBs to shreds like he did, the need is too large to ignore. If they don't go CB in the 1st Round, look for us to do so here.

What can you say about Matthews? Flawless pedigree. That Matthews motor. He might translate better to a 4-3 defense. But, if the Steelers made this pick, would you argue with the logic of the FO? Besides, we always take a LB somewhere in the draft, whether we need one or not.

There is no question that the Steelers need help at G. FWIW, you can add T to that list to boot. I need to see the Steelers take a G or a T earlier than this. Ben's need for protection is only going to become more pronounced and waiting until the 4th Round to find that answer hardly does him the kind of favor he needs. Kilgore is NOT a 4th Round caliber pick. There are at least half a dozen other players at G who have more experience against much stronger competition.

I don't doubt our need for another body at WR and any pick after the 5th Round is likely to be a crap shoot anyway. But, if that is the case, then that body might as well add to the competition on D. Overall, the SN Mock addressed the D-line with a pick that won't be there. It's likely that the Steelers might not have made a pick to address the DL by this point. That would be a mistake, but it is still likely. If that's the case, a pick to address the DL would be highly recommended here.

Here's another pick for an offensive skill position player. I don't know about you, but if we take this pick here then why the **** did we waste a pick on Dwyer last year? I'd feel better about giving him the chance to take over MM's role than taking another RB here. Also, our O skill positions have, at worst, a medium priority. I wouldn't mind seeing a FS drafted here.

By this point, it's useless to speculate on who the Steelers should take. There will be UDFAs who will show better than the player who is selected here for the Steelers. Also, FWIW, why would any mock draft for the Steelers ignore a very obvious need at OT? This one does. So, that's my stopping point for this post.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 277

My only comment is a generic one.

Not only do I look at a lot of "mock information" annually, but also I've gone back 10 years on those highlighted before the draft at their position and those ultimately chosen.

Yes, it's always a crapshoot, but so few of these guys chosen after the Third Round BY ANY TEAM make it in the NFL.

Fastfood restaurants in the US are filled by hyped college football players who just can't play at the NFL level.

Yes, there is the occasional late round pick and certainly the FA (as Steelers fans know from "Fast Willie" and "Silverback"), but if you "don't get the players early," you seldom get them.

So, there is a priority on the top three whom the Steelers will choose and likely one of those may not fit in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information