Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie 'Manson' Morton

Threads : 122

Default Charlie 'Manson' Morton

Just wanted to start a thread for Morton's 'INSANE' start to the 2011 season. What a turnaround for Charlie. I, as well as I am sure the rest of you Bucco's fans, am pulling hard for Charlie to have a great season and become the legit top of the rotation starting pitcher we all hoped he would be.

Hopefully he has such a good season that he would be a front runner for comeback player of the year in MLB.

GOOD LUCK CHARLIE! KEEP IT UP!

What a surprise that Charlie Morton was the pitcher to end our 4 game skid. That's what good pitchers do.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Charlie 'Manson' Morton

Hard to not pull for this kid...electric stuff, and truly a nice guy...

Still wondering why he wasn't allowed to throw the slider last year...

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully he has such a good season that he would be a front runner for comeback player of the year in
    While I'm pulling for him as well,I don't see him as a comeback player.You have to accomplish something first.Morton has always had potential and good stuff,but he;s never accomplished much success as a Major Leaguer. Hopefully we can nominate him for "breakout " player of the year.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 2

I don't see anybody complaining about NH trading Nate McLouth, now!!!!!

Go Bucs!!!!

Threads : 24

That was the best pitching performance by a Pirate in ages. I can't even remember the last time a starter dominated like that. I am still in shock from seeing those low breaking balls mystify the Reds lineup.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That just shows ya what it can be if he can put it all together. He looks like a completely different pitcher throwing that slider and if he can keep it up all season, he can have a special year. The run support he got really helps, be nice if Maholm got some.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 43

He went from being the laughingstock of the national league last year (along with "Big" Brad Lincoln) to being somewhat decent this year. Maybe he and Lincoln weren't quite ready and now we have a gem.
    "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Threads : 18

Makes you wonder if Brad and Charlie weren't ready, if it was the magical Joe K., a different style of leadership, better clubhouse attitude, excitement of talent around them...or some crazy combination of the above. I'm not yet sold on Bad Brad, but I've hope...and it's great to see that Charlie's putting together the stuff we knew he had.

Let's go boys...keep it up!!

Threads : 197

Here's Ken Rosenthal today:

Pirates' Morton: A Halladay clone?

If you think Charlie Morton’s new delivery closely resembles Roy Halladay’s, well, it’s by design.

Pirates special assistant Jim Benedict, a former minor league pitching coordinator for the Expos and Dodgers, studied film of Morton going back to high school during the winter.

Shortly before spring training, Benedict told the Pirates’ coaching staff and front office he wanted to give Morton a “Roy Halladay delivery.”

The Pirates said, “go ahead,” and the early returns are encouraging — Morton, who entered the season 11-29 with a 5.98 ERA, is 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA in his first three starts.

“Roy Halladay now has an absolute clone on the Pittsburgh Pirates,” one rival scout says. “Morton has copied his windup perfectly, from the way he starts to the way he finishes. It’s almost identical.”

Threads : 197

There have been a lot of encouraging signs from Morton, but I'd like to give him a couple months and see where he is. You can't continue to walk twice as many guys as you strike out, and you can't expect a BABIP under .200. Groundball pitchers actually tend to have slightly higher BABIPs than average. He's allowing too many walks right now and hits are going to start coming. You can't rely on anything near a 90% strand rate. It's only 3 starts, though, so we should see things balance out and get a more clear picture as more time goes by.
    Last edited by jnn123; Apr-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    There have been a lot of encouraging signs from Morton, but I'd like to give him a couple months and see where he is. You can't continue to walk twice as many guys as you strike out, and you can't expect a BABIP under .200. Groundball pitchers actually tend to have slightly higher BABIPs than average. He's allowing too many baserunners right now and you can't rely on anything near a 90% strand rate. It's only 3 starts, though, so we should see things balance out and get a more clear picture as more time goes by.
    I completely agree.

This can be extended further as well to Kevin Correia. BB/K ration stinks nand I don't care what we say about our Defense, somehow Correia and Morton have great numbers based both on getting ground balls but more importantly the Defense obviously getting the most of them.

It's definitely not sustainable for an extended period of time. Both guys need to cut down BB's and rasie their K/9's before luck runs out
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Here's Ken Rosenthal today:

Pirates' Morton: A Halladay clone?

If you think Charlie Morton’s new delivery closely resembles Roy Halladay’s, well, it’s by design.

Pirates special assistant Jim Benedict, a former minor league pitching coordinator for the Expos and Dodgers, studied film of Morton going back to high school during the winter.

Shortly before spring training, Benedict told the Pirates’ coaching staff and front office he wanted to give Morton a “Roy Halladay delivery.”

The Pirates said, “go ahead,” and the early returns are encouraging — Morton, who entered the season 11-29 with a 5.98 ERA, is 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA in his first three starts.

“Roy Halladay now has an absolute clone on the Pittsburgh Pirates,” one rival scout says. “Morton has copied his windup perfectly, from the way he starts to the way he finishes. It’s almost identical.”
    I guess the one thing about Halladay is that his K/9 didn't really start going up until later in his career. Around Morton's age, Halladay had a K/9 between 6.9 and 5.4 but he kept the BB's low and most importantly as Morton has done, he's kept the ball down and really gotten a lot fo favorable ground balls. That sinker is helping but I think the mix of pitches is helping keeping guys off balance.

I suppose if there's a positive it's that Morton in his last outing threw more strike outs than walks (3-2) and his strike rate that game was ridiculous. Something like 80+ strikes thrown. Seems like when he is walking pitchers it's not so much control as much as not getting them to bite on something cutting

Threads : 12

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I guess the one thing about Halladay is that his K/9 didn't really start going up until later in his career. Around Morton's age, Halladay had a K/9 between 6.9 and 5.4 but he kept the BB's low and most importantly as Morton has done, he's kept the ball down and really gotten a lot fo favorable ground balls. That sinker is helping but I think the mix of pitches is helping keeping guys off balance.

I suppose if there's a positive it's that Morton in his last outing threw more strike outs than walks (3-2) and his strike rate that game was ridiculous. Something like 80+ strikes thrown. Seems like when he is walking pitchers it's not so much control as much as not getting them to bite on something cutting.
    Well, Kip, then by definition, since the pitchers aren't 'biting' on something cutting, these pitches aren't in the strike zone, or lack of control. Therefore, he is walking the pitchers. Why doesn't he just throw strikes to these pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    Well, Kip, then by definition, since the pitchers aren't 'biting' on something cutting, these pitches aren't in the strike zone, or lack of control. Therefore, he is walking the pitchers. Why doesn't he just throw strikes to these pitchers?
    Not completely true. Strikes are also swings and misses and most times breaking pitches end up out of the zone. They come in and break out of the zone at the end. Thats how it is with the best pitchers. If a breaking ball stays in the strike zone then its not breaking or as some would say it has no movement or life on it.

From what ive seen of mortons BBs the past 2 seasons including this one is that he gets great movelent in and out of the zone on his breaking pitches. The "electric stuff" but he doesnt get people biting on them enough for what ever reason. Its not a control or command issue to me as much as perhaps deception from his delivery and release. Maybe those things improve with time?

With pitchers ive seen him throwing too much breaking stuff for some reason. Normally you attack pitchers with 4 seamers ans changeups an the use either a 4 or 2 seer for your out pitch or the breaking stuff. Seems hes too cute with pitchers.

Id have to look at pitch fx to see for sure. In general though you arent throwing 80 plu striles in a gamebwith bad control or command the opposite is true... His control and command is great

Threads : 43

Whoo, did he get pounded this evening. They hung a 6 on him just like they did to Maholm and it's not like either of them got run support at all. Hopefully things pick up to finish off the series tomorrow.
    "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information