Thread: Roethlisberger still feels pain from Steelers' Super Bowl loss

Threads : 691

Default Roethlisberger still feels pain from Steelers' Super Bowl loss

Roethlisberger still feels pain from Steelers' Super Bowl lossNFL.com
    Published: April 17, 2011 at 12:59 p.m. Updated: April 17, 2011 at 03:14 p.m. Liked: 16 | Comments: 173 Email Like
    Print Read Discuss Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email By NFL.com More Columns > Ben Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl champion, won't soon forget about the ring that got away.

The quarterback took his locker nameplate from Super Bowl XLV -- which his Pittsburgh Steelers lost to the Green Bay Packers two months ago -- and placed it underneath the mirror in his bathroom to motivate himself.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
    "I want to see that every day. It hurts a lot," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in a story for Sunday's editions. "To see that every day is just motivation for me to work out, to bust my butt to not let it happen again because I want to be a champion. And, right now, I'm not a champion.

"The first loser, and that kills me," added Roethlisberger, who keeps the nameplates from his two Super Bowl victories in his game room. "Until I can get back to that point (winning a Super Bowl title), I want to remember the pain, and it's going to burn in me until we can get back and win one. If it never happens, I'll be killed, but I'm going to do my best to get back there."

Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette his goal is to become the quarterback with the most Super Bowl rings. Right now, that distinction belongs to Steelers great Terry Bradshaw and fellow Hall of Famer Joe Montana, each with four.

"I want to get one more than anybody else," Roethlisberger said. "This would have been a great step, but now I feel I took a step back. This will haunt me until I can win another one. And it'll still probably haunt me a little bit. But until I win another one, it'll haunt me a lot."

Roethlisberger will be 29 next season, so he knows he doesn't have much time since NFL careers can be short. He hopes he's halfway through his career and will have three more shots at the Lombardi Trophy, like he did in his first eight NFL seasons.

Said Roethlisberger: "That's what I want to be known for -- winning games, winning Super Bowls."
    http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story...e=HP_headlines
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 60

Default Re: Roethlisberger still feels pain from Steelers' Super Bowl loss

Great news that he has his focus on more rings. It does stink losing the Super Bowl because it takes so much to get there in the first place. Ben and his team will be making Steeler history if you ask me.
    We've had Bradshaw with his four Super Bowl wins. We had Neil ( he blew the Super Bowl) O'Donnell with his Super Bowl loss. With that loss came years of frustration of not, having a grade-A quarterback until Ben.
    Ben wins two Super Bowls and then losses the third. It's a whole new future because we never had a quarterback that lost a Super Bowl and then returned.

Will never get the last Super Bowl back and that hurts for such a small window of opportunities with having Ben and the surrounding cast. Dang ! We should have had the seventh Lombardi !

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was thinking about this. Odonnell throws 2 ints both which appeared to be timg routes where either the WR ran tue wrong route or didnt pick up the hot read or Odonnell just went dumb and he got crucified. Perhaps it wouldnt have been so bad had he not fled for the Jets after that season

Ben throws 3 ints. 1 for a pick 6 amd people somejow try to pin blame on mendenhalls 1 fumble for offensive issues we had and the loss.

4 less turnovers and we win that game despote our seco dary not beimg able to stop **** mainly because green bay couldnt stop us either. Wed have thrown up great offensive numbers for a super bowl if we didnt give the ball to green bay. We win in a shootout

It sucks on one hand but nice on the other hand that they tasted defeat and see how it feels. It makes you hungry for redemption. Our core os still in its prime for a couple more years
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was thinking about this. Odonnell throws 2 ints both which appeared to be timg routes where either the WR ran tue wrong route or didnt pick up the hot read or Odonnell just went dumb and he got crucified. Perhaps it wouldnt have been so bad had he not fled for the Jets after that season
    IIRC, he "fled" for the money that the Jets were offering... There was no way on God's green earth he would'a got that amount of cash in Pgh... I personally wasn't distraught with O'Donnell at the helm for us back then, and would have welcomed him back without any heartburn... But I am also one of many that wears a tin-foil hat thinking that he threw the SB game... Hell, he booked a charter flight back-east after the game so as not to be with the team, and did so BEFORE the game. Yea, maybe it was just his way to disassociate himself before a contract deal, but it was mighty curious... And the plane was owned by Jerry Jones, from what I've heard....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    IIRC, he "fled" for the money that the Jets were offering... There was no way on God's green earth he would'a got that amount of cash in Pgh... I personally wasn't distraught with O'Donnell at the helm for us back then, and would have welcomed him back without any heartburn... But I am also one of many that wears a tin-foil hat thinking that he threw the SB game... Hell, he booked a charter flight back-east after the game so as not to be with the team, and did so BEFORE the game. Yea, maybe it was just his way to disassociate himself before a contract deal, but it was mighty curious... And the plane was owned by Jerry Jones, from what I've heard....

As I sung back then, to the tune of Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl

The real version:
    Neil's the captain he runs the machine, he throws to CJ, Mills and Yancey
    he goes to go to Bam when we need a touchdown, and if you get in his way he's going to knock you around

My version:
    Neil was the captain, he wrecked the machine, but whats he care he's wearin' Jets Green
    Larry Brown cant get rid of his grin, cause Neil just gave him a Super Bowl Win

But this aside, its great to see Ben use that loss as motivation....
    Last edited by bdeff; Apr-19-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    You're not wearing a tin foil hat.....he threw that ****ing game. I could understand one pass like that, but not two, to the same player, in the same flat. **** him. If I ever get the good fortune of meeting him, jail or not, I will spit right in his lumpy face.

Reveiw the film.....when Cowher comes over to him and says....ball got away from you.....he stares off and cannot even look him in the face while giving a very short yeah.

Guy is a 1st class scum-bag.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreKeeper View Post
    We may be in the minority in this opinion..... But I agree with you.....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Money does not motivate me as much as others I guess. I need money, I like money but I have my limits of what control it has over me. When I'm on a team, being a friend, serving in what ever capacity I am there through thick and thin. Money will not pull me from friends, family or my team. Some may find that hard to believe but I have been tested before and have turned down all opportunities.
    For that alone I have no respect for Neil. From what I've heard in the past Neil, wasn't much of a team guy or buddy buddy with his fellow players.

One more thing that bothers me about any player is this. If you have a team that has taken a chance on you, given you your growing curve and to know you would probably be bagging groceries at the local Giant Eagle you, need to appreciate that and weigh that into to your choice of sticking with your team or jumping on the money train.

"Your Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher" is starting early..........

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreKeeper View Post
    You're not wearing a tin foil hat.....he threw that ****ing game. I could understand one pass like that, but not two, to the same player, in the same flat. **** him. If I ever get the good fortune of meeting him, jail or not, I will spit right in his lumpy face.

Reveiw the film.....when Cowher comes over to him and says....ball got away from you.....he stares off and cannot even look him in the face while giving a very short yeah.

I agree with these statements! And nobody will ever convince me otherwise!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information