Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Back In Time: Rating The 2009 NFL Draft

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pittsburgh Steelers Back In Time: Rating The 2009 NFL Draft

With the second installment of the Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Back In Time series, we’re going to be taking a look at the 2009 NFL Draft, which wasn’t exactly the best of drafts that one has come to expect from the team, but also helped out at at least two separate positions in two separate rounds.
    http://www.steelerschronicle.com/201...fl-draft.html/

Threads : 138

Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Back In Time: Rating The 2009 NFL Draft

"Seventh Round: David Johnson, Tight End, Arkansas State
    Steelers Chronicle Grade: D"

This grade is ridiculous. The grades ought to be weighted based on where the players are selected. A 7th rounder that makes the team ought to be an automatic 'C'.

Johnson is a regular, solid contributor to the offense at both FB and TE. His versatility saves a roster spot. What more can you expect from a 7th round pick?

The 7th round selection of Johnson should be an 'A' IMO.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why did we never Give A.Q. Shipley a Chance I think he would def be a helping hand in our O Line Turmoil right now

Threads : 18

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Seventh Round: David Johnson, Tight End, Arkansas State
    Steelers Chronicle Grade: D"

This grade is ridiculous. The grades ought to be weighted based on where the players are selected. A 7th rounder that makes the team ought to be an automatic 'C'.

Johnson is a regular, solid contributor to the offense at both FB and TE. His versatility saves a roster spot. What more can you expect from a 7th round pick?

The 7th round selection of Johnson should be an 'A' IMO.
    Where does the weighting of grades end though? That can go both ways too, though. All six round picks could be measured against Tom Brady, that wouldn't be fair. Johnson's been good, not great. And like I said, for a seventh round pick, you can't ask for much more than what he's done, but at the same time he hasn't changed the world for the Steelers.

I've got no problems with him, but keeping one grading scale the whole way through is a lot easier and in the end a lot more fair. His contributions as a tight end are being a little overrated by you though, where as his fullback time is being underrated by me. I'll admit to that. But, as a tight end/fullback hybrid, he's got to be able to get open and make catches, not just be a blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulBurgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why did we never Give A.Q. Shipley a Chance I think he would def be a helping hand in our O Line Turmoil right now
    Not really sure on that one, more than likely something to do with the roster size, though. Doubt he'd be much help at the moment with Pouncey and all, though.

Threads : 60

to be a good seventh round player is to have this person do some utility work and fit in good at each request of the team. We have that in Johnson and he'll probably get better.
    I'm not spitting nickles over Johnson and he does okay/good but he is better than the others are saying and especially for a number 7.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information