Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

      
  1. #1
    jnn123's Avatar
    Status : jnn123 is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 2,954
    Threads : 197
    Last Online : Nov-10-2013 @ 11:50 AM

    Default Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    This was my biggest fear when they hired him. I looked at his managerial tendencies and it seems like he does everything that will drive me insane. Things are starting to pop up this year.

    First there was Sunday's game when the Pirates were down 3 and he was completely behind McCutchen trying to tag up from 3rd with two outs on what was basically a perfect ball to throw on for Jayson Werth (who has a good arm). It was one of the dumber plays I've seen this year and Hurdle acted like it was the correct idea. Some suggested he was just protecting his player, but I think he proved that incorrect when he criticized Pedro Alvarez's decision to throw home with the bases loaded and no outs rather than try to turn two. The Alvarez decision made sense, the McCutchen one did not. Hurdle decided to defend McCutchen and criticize Alvarez.

    Then there's today. We saw what was my biggest fear of all. Hurdle lead the league in sacrifice bunts almost every year he was in Colorado (despite the fact that he was, you know, in Colorado). We've seen a couple pretty dumb attempts earlier this season, but nothing tops the one in the 7th inning tonight. Ahead by 1 run with the leadoff man on first and Pedro Alvarez at the plate he has Alvarez try to drop one down. Even if it was Alvarez's own decision, it shouldn't even be an option for him to drop one down there. Of course the bunt was terrible and he popped out.

  2. #2
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    You might be right I don't know I am not that knowledgable with baseball but it seems like this guy is an upgrade from the last few. Who wants to come to Pittsburgh? The team has some serious flaws as well obviously. They don't need to try to make it into the playoffs this year imo. They just need to learn how to play better baseball. Gotta give it time. There is no hurry. We have all been here for the last 20 years. We arent going anywhere now.

  3. #3
    WonderfulBurgh's Avatar
    Status : WonderfulBurgh is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Mar 31, 2011
    Posts : 11
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Jul-16-2011 @ 10:15 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    I Think you're are right on with thinkin this about him however I disagree that its bad I love this kind of ball if its played right

  4. #4
    BlackNGoldRules's Avatar
    Status : BlackNGoldRules is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts : 7,065
    Threads : 126
    Last Online : Sep-22-2012 @ 11:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might be right I don't know I am not that knowledgable with baseball but it seems like this guy is an upgrade from the last few. Who wants to come to Pittsburgh? The team has some serious flaws as well obviously. They don't need to try to make it into the playoffs this year imo. They just need to learn how to play better baseball. Gotta give it time. There is no hurry. We have all been here for the last 20 years. We arent going anywhere now.
    How do you know we're not going anywhere? Any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow! The world could end in 2012. The rapture could come and take Kipper and leave the rest of us behind. Oh wait, I bet all of these things will happen before the Pirates make the playoffs again anyway. Nevermind. Sorry, but you just have to joke about it at this point, even if it's lame jokes like this one. Anyway, they're lucky that they have Clint Hurdle and not another terrible minor league manager like the last guy.......who also barely had a pulse. They probably won't win with this guy either but at least he's not a zombie!!!

  5. #5
    jnn123's Avatar
    Status : jnn123 is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 2,954
    Threads : 197
    Last Online : Nov-10-2013 @ 11:50 AM

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulBurgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I Think you're are right on with thinkin this about him however I disagree that its bad I love this kind of ball if its played right
    What kind of ball is it? The McCutchen run was completely meaningless. It's basically the biggest fundamental mistake you could possibly make.

    The Alvarez play was probably just as bad. He has the most power of anyone on the team, and despite the 0-2 to that point he had actually been hitting well the past couple games. He had 0 sac bunts this year, 0 last year, 0 in his minor league career, and 0 in college. Why have him drop one there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't need to try to make it into the playoffs this year imo. They just need to learn how to play better baseball.
    That's the biggest reason why I question these things. Is Hurdle actually capable of teaching them to play better baseball?

  6. #6
    WonderfulBurgh's Avatar
    Status : WonderfulBurgh is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Mar 31, 2011
    Posts : 11
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Jul-16-2011 @ 10:15 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    I was Talkin small ball, I love it when done correctly but I gotta agree with you that its not being done right

  7. #7
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    To me its not even that the turtle needs to teach them ****. The biggest thing is he needs to maintain the teams collective sanity through all the crap they are likely to go through this season regardless of anything.

  8. #8
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What kind of ball is it? The McCutchen run was completely meaningless. It's basically the biggest fundamental mistake you could possibly make.

    The Alvarez play was probably just as bad. He has the most power of anyone on the team, and despite the 0-2 to that point he had actually been hitting well the past couple games. He had 0 sac bunts this year, 0 last year, 0 in his minor league career, and 0 in college. Why have him drop one there?


    That's the biggest reason why I question these things. Is Hurdle actually capable of teaching them to play better baseball?
    While I agree the 2 incidents were not the right play I don't see what the big deal is here. You need to watch a little more baseball...these kinds of things happen all the time with every team. Learn from the mistakes and move on.

  9. #9
    The Curtain's Avatar
    Status : The Curtain is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Apr 26, 2011
    Posts : 182
    Threads : 0
    Last Online : May-03-2012 @ 09:21 AM

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    The fact that he's seriously that worried about Pedro hitting into a double-play is insanity. What's he going to do with the bunt? Set him up in scoring position for Brandon Wood, when Pedro can drive the ball 500 feet? Ridiculous. Definitely some questionable calls from Hurdle the past few weeks, I agree.

    I don't mind sac-bunts at the top of the order, early in the game, that's cool with me. Some people call managers out for bunting their number 2 or 3 hitter with a man on first and 0 outs, but I think it's alright now and then, especially against a good pitcher. But bunting your best power guy, when there's basically nothing at all behind him? What the hell is the end in that? At least swinging away, you have a chance.

    I think he's purposely making an example out of Pedro. He calls him out every time he makes a mistake, which I got no problem with. He makes a lot of mistakes in the field. He makes a lot at the plate, too. But bunting him in a situation that really doesn't call for it? That's almost disrespecting him, and it's hurting the team, since he could have launched a bomb there.

  10. #10
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Tabata's day off

    After playing the first 22 games, outfielder Jose Tabata -- who started 20 of those in left field -- got Tuesday off.

    Matt Diaz played left field in Tabata's place and Garrett Jones started in right.

    But with PNC Park's distinction for having a very difficult and spacious left field -- some have said it is akin to two center fields -- was there any inclination for manager Clint Hurdle to wait until the homestand was over to rest Tabata?

    Hurdle pondered it, but the schedule wasn't beneficial to making such a move, as the Pirates next play at Colorado and San Diego.

    "In a perfect world, you'd like a guy more like Jose to go out there and play. We don't have that guy," Hurdle said. "And you can try to wait for a better place to play, but Coors Field is going to provide the same challenges and Petco [in San Diego] is going to provide pretty much the same challenge our field does. So we are going to take the day, right here, for Jose and move on."

    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11117...#ixzz1KjAgaUqm
    I know this is nitpicking, but some of last night's moves were a little confusing to me. For example, giving a guy a day off does not constitute him PH'ing and going into the field in the 7th inning, which is what happened to Tabata last night. Why not use Bowker? If for no other reason than to get another look at him before having to make the decision involving X. Paul? I just find the comments above about resting players laughable when you turn around and make moves like Hurdle did last night.

    POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

  11. #11
    Steelreign's Avatar

    Status : Steelreign is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wheatfield, Indiana
    Posts : 18,943
    Threads : 227
    Last Online : Nov-02-2016 @ 07:58 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Believe it or not, Hurdle is still getting a feel for his players and when to use them to help win games. While he is not in an enviable position, he is certainly filled with the optimism and experience of working with young teams to help turn the Pirates around.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

  12. #12
    buccoman's Avatar
    Status : buccoman is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 29, 2009
    Posts : 521
    Threads : 24
    Last Online : Aug-14-2014 @ 07:33 PM

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was my biggest fear when they hired him. I looked at his managerial tendencies and it seems like he does everything that will drive me insane. Things are starting to pop up this year.

    First there was Sunday's game when the Pirates were down 3 and he was completely behind McCutchen trying to tag up from 3rd with two outs on what was basically a perfect ball to throw on for Jayson Werth (who has a good arm). It was one of the dumber plays I've seen this year and Hurdle acted like it was the correct idea. Some suggested he was just protecting his player, but I think he proved that incorrect when he criticized Pedro Alvarez's decision to throw home with the bases loaded and no outs rather than try to turn two. The Alvarez decision made sense, the McCutchen one did not. Hurdle decided to defend McCutchen and criticize Alvarez.

    Then there's today. We saw what was my biggest fear of all. Hurdle lead the league in sacrifice bunts almost every year he was in Colorado (despite the fact that he was, you know, in Colorado). We've seen a couple pretty dumb attempts earlier this season, but nothing tops the one in the 7th inning tonight. Ahead by 1 run with the leadoff man on first and Pedro Alvarez at the plate he has Alvarez try to drop one down. Even if it was Alvarez's own decision, it shouldn't even be an option for him to drop one down there. Of course the bunt was terrible and he popped out.
    I think the players are on their own running the bases. McCitchen was safe too, so that makes a difference in Hurdle's defense of him. I also think Pedro was bunting on his own, and Hurdle really wants players to act on their own instincts. I'm guessing that they worked on middle-of-the-order players laying down a bunt in that situation in spring training too. It's just that it was a bad bunt, not really a bad play. The defensive mistake was a play also likely worked on in spring training and screwed up by Alvarez. I think you DO question a mental mistake like that.

  13. #13
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the players are on their own running the bases. McCitchen was safe too, so that makes a difference in Hurdle's defense of him. I also think Pedro was bunting on his own, and Hurdle really wants players to act on their own instincts. I'm guessing that they worked on middle-of-the-order players laying down a bunt in that situation in spring training too. It's just that it was a bad bunt, not really a bad play. The defensive mistake was a play also likely worked on in spring training and screwed up by Alvarez. I think you DO question a mental mistake like that.
    There's no way that Pedro's decision to bunyt came from Pedro. not a chance.

    I agree with the curtain, I believe in that Pedro should never be bunting. JNN too since he practically said just as much. Pedro has probably bunted so few times in his entire playing career that the chances of him laying down a good one are worse than him not striking out

    Other than that, most managers though will always make coaching decisions that drive you crazy. The ones that some consider to be good, do some crazy stuff. Jim Leyland used to do stuff that made me go "huh"??

    I like Hurdle's aggressive approach to a lot fo things and accepted before the season started that a lot more small ball instances would show up, a lot more risks, a lot of questionable things would happen. that's fine. After watching the stuff that constantly happened under John Russell... I'll take this
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  14. #14
    jleisele58's Avatar
    Status : jleisele58 is offline
    Rank : All-Pro
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Greensburg, PA
    Posts : 4,353
    Threads : 85
    Last Online : May-08-2017 @ 04:30 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    i like hurdle so far, good personality and makes it interesting to watch games
    Last edited by jleisele58; Apr-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.

  15. #15
    jnn123's Avatar
    Status : jnn123 is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 2,954
    Threads : 197
    Last Online : Nov-10-2013 @ 11:50 AM

    Default Re: Clint Hurdle is kind of an idiot

    In the 7th inning tonight the Giants brought in a lefty to start the inning since Alvarez was up first and Overbay was up third. Alvarez managed to pick up a single that deflected off an infielder's glove, bringing Brandon Wood to the plate with a man on first and no outs. With the lefty forced to face a right handed hitter it seems like you have to let him swing away and try to make them pay. Instead they had Wood attempt to bunt. Thankfully he pulled back and took a strike the first pitch, then fouled off the second. Once he was behind 0-2 they took the bunt off and Wood picked up a single. Just seemed like a terrible idea.

    Next batter they had Overbay also try to bunt, but I guess that one at least kind of made some sense. They ended up getting a force at third after a terrible bunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •