Thread: Give Scott Brown his due...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Give Scott Brown his due...

Scott Brown from the Trib... He writes "View From The Press Box"...

Rather accurate.... Check the date....

And with the 31st pick the Pittsburgh Steelers take...
    April 27th, 2011

Defensive end Cam Heyward, Ohio State University. I'm thinking the Steelers go defensive line with their first-round pick Thursday night. I just don't think they'll pay the required fee in the form of draft choices to move up and take Mike Pouncey.

I also think they will wait until the second round to address cornerback, which is their biggest need. Maybe they move up in that round to take Virginia's Ras-I Dowling. Or maybe they trade their second-round pick for two extra ones in the third, something they did in 2009.

Heyward, if he falls to the Steelers at No. 31, makes a lot of sense. The Steelers need to get younger at defensive end and it is more of a need than people think considering Aaron Smith just turned 35 and has sustained three major injuries in the last four years.

The book on Heyward is that he is good with his hands and excels at shedding blocks. The 6-4, 294-pounder fits the profile of a 3-4 defensive end, has a great pedigree and will get taken by the Steelers -- if they stay at No. 31 and Heyward lasts that long.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Give Scott Brown his due...

That was a good call
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 277

I supplied that info to him; also I suggested that the Pens draft Malkin, Crosby and Despres.

Oh, did I mention my advice about Maurkice?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or maybe they trade their second-round pick for two extra ones in the third, something they did in 2009.
    Pleaswe NO

We need true NFL starting DB's. Not wishes and prayers which are the very things you'll find in the 3rd round of the draft. IF Colbert is really planning on drafting with the belief that Ike isn't resigning, then I can't see the Steelers waiting until the 3rd round to get DB's. I hope not. It's a big need. I don't care what Tomlin says... Pressure is great on QB's, it might make them throw it a little sooner than they want but if your coverage is as awful as the Steelers cover age is, passes will still get completed. When we face QB's in systems like the spread that are designed to get rid of the ball quickly and make defensive pressure on the QB moot without coverage - we are toast.

Again.

The 2009 Draft was an awful draft. I hope we don't try to replicate any of it..

1 Ziggy Hood DT
    3 Kraig Urbik G
    3 Mike Wallace WR
    3 Keenan Lewis CB
    5 Joe Burnett CB
    5 Frank Summers RB
    6 Ra'Shon Harris DT
    7 A.Q. Shipley C
    7 David Johnson TE

That's an awful draft. Hood has been alright but nothing near 1st round dominating. mike Wallace is the only gem out of that draft. Everyone else either sucked, sucks, is gone or has little to no meaninggul future here (Kennan Lewis).

Also, you look at round 3. It's IMO that it is far easier to find WR talent all over the draft than just about any other position in football. Eliminate Wallace and our 2 other picks at #3 were garbage.

I will also say this... The first 2 rounds have got to be spent on our biggest needs. After those 2 rounds, what our needs are, are extremely difficult to find or hit on - Line and DB's.

We have to draft DL and DB in the first 2 rounds and to be honest... I'd trade away a few low picks and maybe something like a #3 next year to obtain another 2nd round pick and then use that pick to try and draft another one of our 2 needs (preferably DB since we have more spots there to fill)
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information