Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Cortez Allen

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Cortez Allen

With the 128th overall pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected a high character football player, hailing from The Citadel, one of the United States’ military academies. In a rare move by the Steelers, they selected corner backs in back-to-back rounds, selecting Cortez Allen in the fourth round, after selecting Curtis Brown in the third.
    Read the rest here.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Cortez Allen

Good read thanks!
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Cortez Allen

When I say ‘rare’, I mean rare. The Steelers haven’t picked corners in back to back picks since taking Lance Brown and Barron Miles in the 1995 NFL Draft. The Steelers front office and coaching staff definitely saw something special in both of these players, and Steelers fans are definitely glad for the secondary help
    That doesn't paint a pretty picture

1 I am not optimistic at all that drafting 3rd and 4th round CB's are going to get us the caliber of starting CB's we will need to stop some of the better and ebst passing team in the league. Ok "beating" isn't the best word but stopping their passing attacks. something we haven't been able to do since Ken Whisenhunt and Kurt Warner exposed our weak secondary
    late in SB xLIIII

2 Lance Brown and Barron Mills were big busts. I know Ike was drafted in the 4th round but there's [players that are exceptions to rules and guys that are the rule. Ike Taylor was the exception. If we just duplicated 1995 in the 3rd and 4th rounds then it was a waste even if one of these guys we drafted turns out to be good in Nickel coverage.

3 Im being a pretty big ***** in regards to the secondary. It's our biggest weakness before and IMO still after this draft. The NFL is a copy-cat league and they saw what Aaron rodgers did to the Steelers healthy Defense. Now there is no doubt about what the Patriots and Saints etc... have done to our pass defense. It's real. Spread us out and pick on our lack of coverage backs and depth in the secondary.

4 I'd be glad for 2nd or 1st round CB help. 3rd and 4th Rounders IMO are long shots to being impact guys. Teams don't want to risk having to deal without Pass Rush and the best way top do that is it get rid of the ball quick, spread us out and take away more pass rushers in favor of weak secondary players. I just don't see the solution here but I'm being very pessimistic and want badly to eat crow since IMO the Steelers win the next SP with an improve secondary and retaining health to key players.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information