Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Osama Bin Laden is dead

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Osama Bin Laden is dead

Last edited by BlackNGoldRules; May-01-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Threads : 1817

Default Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

and

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

Just one vermin..................many left...............one will always rise to take another's place.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 691

USA USA USA USA USA!!!!
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

**** YEAH!!!!!!!

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just one vermin..................many left...............one will always rise to take another's place.
    Two words: Judd Nelson
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well done to everyone involved with this, from the intel gatherers to those who did the raid and on up, over the last handful of years.

Threads : 3263

This is GREAT news!... I watched the coverage last night even though I was completely tired and needed sleep...

... As some of you might remember, I've told the story about how I attended two memorial services after 9-11 because I knew two of the pilots that lost their lives. 9-11 was an event that changed my profession forever, and getting that bastard was the best news I've heard in a long time...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This is GREAT news!... I watched the coverage last night even though I was completely tired and needed sleep...

... As some of you might remember, I've told the story about how I attended two memorial services after 9-11 because I knew two of the pilots that lost their lives. 9-11 was an event that changed my profession forever, and getting that bastard was the best news I've heard in a long time...

how about that... they didn't boo or throw snow balls or anything. Philly got a little civilized behind the good news

Threads : 3263

"INSIDE THE SITUATION ROOM – Obama rejected original plan for bombing; wanted proof – Navy SEALS held two rehearsals last month, with war cabinet monitoring from White House – Raid planned for Saturday but pushed off a day because of weather – Chopper stalled as it hovered over the compound – Forces blew it up and left in a reinforcement craft -- How the fiery raid went down, as told to Playbook by senior administration officials: The compound -- about an acre, with a three-story house – is in Abbottabad, a suburb of the Pakistani capital, Islamabad. Officials were very suspicious of the 12- to 18-foot-high walls, and seven-foot wall on the upper balcony. Residents burned their trash, and there was no telephone or Internet connection to the compound, valued at $1 million. But officials never had anything directly proving that Osama bin Laden was living there. The U.S. had discovered the compound by following a personal courier for bin Laden. Officials didn’t learn his name until 2007, then it took two years to find him and track him back to this compound, which was discovered in August 2010. “It was a “Holy cow!” moment,” an official said.

The original plan for the raid was to bomb the house, but President Obama ultimately decided against that. “The helicopter raid was riskier. It was more daring,” an official said. “But he wanted proof. He didn’t want to just leave a pile of rubble.” Officials also knew there were 22 people living there, and Obama wanted to be sure not to kill all the civilians. So he ordered officials to come up with an air-assault plan. The forces held rehearsals of the raid on April 7 and April 13, with officials monitoring the action from Washington.

As the actual raid approached, daily meetings were held of the national security principals, chaired by National Security Adviser Tom Donilon, and their deputies, chaired by John Brennan, the president’s counterterrorism adviser. At an April 19 meeting in the Situation Room, the president approved the assault, in principle, as the course of action. He ordered the force to fly to the region to conduct it. On April 28, just after his East Room announcement that CIA Director Leon Panetta would be succeeding Robert Gates as Defense Secretary, the president held another meeting in the Situation Room, and went through everyone’s final recommendations. He didn’t announce his decision at that time, but kept his counsel overnight.

At 8:20 a.m. Friday, the president informed National Security Adviser Tom Donilon that he was authorizing the operation. Donilon signed a written authorization to CIA Director Leon Panetta, who commanded the strike team. The raid was scheduled for Saturday, but weather pushed it to yesterday. The Navy SEALs arrived at the compound at 3:30 p.m. ET yesterday and were gone by 4:15 p.m. Obama monitored the operation all day from the Situation Room, surrounded by Donilon, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley, Deputy National Security Adviser Denis McDonough, Secretary of State Clinton, Secretary of Defense Gates, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mike Mullen, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and others. Panetta was at CIA headquarters, where he had turned his conference room into a command center that gave him constant contact with the tactical leaders of the strike team.

The helicopter carrying the assault force appeared to stall as it hovered over the compound, producing heart-stopping moments for the officials back in Washington. Aides thought fearfully of “Black Hawk Down” and “Desert One,” the failed Iranian hostage rescue mission. The pilot put the bird down gently in the compound, but couldn’t get it going again. The assault force disembarked. “They went ahead and raided the compound, even though they didn’t know if they would have a ride home,” an official said. The special forces put some bombs on the helicopter and blew it up. Bin Laden resisted the assault force, and was shot in the face during a firefight. With the team still in the compound, the commander on the ground told another commander that they had found Osama bin Laden. Applause erupted in Washington. Reinforcements came and picked up the SEALs, who had scavenged every shred and pixel of possible intelligence material from the house. U.S. forces took photographs of the body, and officials used facial-recognition technology to compare them with known pictures of bin Laden. It was him."

... Maybe it was our natural need for revenge. And right, these developments don't undo the pain and suffering caused by Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda. His victims don't get to come back. The families of lost soldiers don't get them back. And the War on Terror has no real end in sight.

But still...what you saw on TV last night, or what you're seeing on YouTube today....we needed that. We needed it bad.

It's not a great time in the United States. People keep losing jobs, gas is approaching five bucks a gallon, thousands of people are right now sorting through the rubble of killer storms, our politicians spend too much time griping at each other to get anything done, our schools are broken, American families are falling apart, the NFL is under a lockout, and Springsteen hasn't put out an album in almost three years.

We don't have much to celebrate right now. We don't many reasons to hug strangers anymore. We don't have many reasons to buy a cold one for someone you've never met. We don't have many reasons to pour into the streets on a random late Sunday night and express sheer, unadulterated, joy.

Last night we took all the hard knocks we've endured as a country, all the bad news and hard feelings we let build up, all the pain we've suffered, and we let it out. We let it pour out of us in a nationwide show of emotion unlike anything seen in my lifetime.

It was cathartic.

It was awesome.

Soon enough, we'll all go our separate ways again, and we'll begin ****ing and moaning at each other, and finding reasons to not like one another, and sports won't only not be immune but will give us an excuse to hate the other guy simply because he roots for another team.

But last night, it felt like we were all rooting for the same team. And it felt really ****ing good.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 5

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    Judd Nelson RULES!!!!!!!!
    Fixed it for you. No need for thanks.

Threads : 5

And to get back on topic. I was watching the Phillies-mets game last night and the broadcasters on ESPN kept talking about how the players had no idea what was going on andshowed some of their faces when the crowd was chanting USA, USA, USA!!!

I went up to tell my wife about the story. Unfortunately, years from now, when she recalls where she was when she got the news, the first thing she'll remember is "Why is he bringing the cat to bed?"

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post

You BETTER hide behind that couch if you're going to post something like that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

**** you, bin Laden.

Now suck a turd in hell for eternity.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information