Thread: Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority

Threads : 691

Default Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority

Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority
    Sunday, May 01, 2011
    By Ron Cook , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Relax.

So the Steelers didn't get the cornerback they needed in the three-day NFL draft? They are going to re-sign Ike Taylor.

They had better re-sign Ike Taylor.

The Steelers know that. That's why they didn't reach to take a corner with the No. 31 pick Thursday night in the first round. They could have taken Virginia's Raz-I Dowling, who went to the New England Patriots at No. 33, or Texas' Aaron Williams, who went to the Buffalo Bills at No. 34, but they didn't have either valued as a first-rounder. They made the right call taking Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward, who should help them for years.

The Steelers knew they have Taylor to fall back on.

They also didn't take a cornerback Friday night in the second round, although we'll never know if they would have picked Miami's Brandon Harris, who went to the Houston Texans three picks before their selection. Florida offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert was their choice. It never hurts to collect big, talented offensive tackles.

Again, Taylor is there to be re-signed.

The Steelers did get corners in the third and fourth rounds -- Curtis Brown of Texas and Cortez Allen of The Citadel -- but it's hardly reasonable to expect them to step in next season and be more than special teams contributors. They went as late as they did in the draft for a reason. There's much greater chance each will be a Keenan Lewis -- a bust so far after being the Steelers' No. 3 pick in 2009 -- than, say, an Ike Taylor.

There's that name again.

Some have speculated Taylor's price has gone way up for the Steelers because of the way their draft unfolded. Certainly, they need him now more than ever. It's hard to imagine them going into next season with Bryant McFadden and William Gay as their only veteran cornerbacks. It's not as if there's one out there in free agency whom they can afford or who fits into their defensive scheme, which requires a corner to tackle on run support as well as cover. You can forget about them signing Oakland Raiders free agent Nnamdi Asomugha to a huge deal. It's not their way to sell out for any free agent.

Taylor would be a fool not to use any leverage he has to his financial advantage. NFL careers are so short. A player has to make his money while he can. Taylor made it clear at the Super Bowl that, as much as he loves playing for the Steelers, giving them a home-team discount isn't necessarily a given. "You only get one shot at this kind of money. It's like hitting the lotto."

But Taylor might not have quite as much leverage as he and his agent think. The Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens took cornerbacks in the first round -- LSU's Patrick Peterson, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara and Colorado's Jimmy Smith, respectively. The Patriots got Dowling, the Bills Williams. The Texans traded up to get Harris. That's six fewer teams to bid on Taylor. The delay of free agency until after the draft because of the NFL lockout hurts him and all other veterans in his situation.

Of course, it only takes one other club to blow away the Steelers with an offer for Taylor. If that team steps up, the Steelers will let him go. They do not overpay for any player. You can't overpay. That's a rotten way to do business.

The guess here is Taylor will not get that outrageous offer. He has played eight NFL seasons without making a Pro Bowl, mainly because he can't catch the football. It's fair to think his value is greater to the Steelers than to another club because he knows their defense so well.

"I always get the other team's best receiver," Taylor said at the Super Bowl. "I'm used to it. Look at my tape. Look at anyone else's tape. I'm just as good if not better than anyone you pick."

As for all of those dropped interceptions?

"How do you define a shutdown corner?" Taylor asked. "Isn't it keeping the guy from catching the football? I think I do that as well as anyone."

The Steelers know what Taylor can do. They also have a pretty good idea what it will cost to do a new deal with him. They had preliminary discussions with him and his representative before the lockout put an end to such talks. They are not afraid of the number they will have to put on a contract for him. The feeling among people in the organization is they will get a deal done.

They had better be right.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11121...#ixzz1LCmuI5fX

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11121...#ixzz1LCmQwqHG
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority

Man is it tough to stomach this but...

ughhh....

barf....

I completely agree with Ron Cooke

and I agree with just about everything he said as well except that on top of re-signing Taylor they need to hit FA and upgrade from McFadden and Gay because more teams than just new England and New Orleans will be spreading us out next year. You'd have to be a dildo to run the ball on the Steelers or play a 3 wide pasing game. 4-5 wide from shotgun and you force James Farrior into coverage, keep Troy in the backfield and make Harrison and Woodley useless.

But Taylor might not have quite as much leverage as he and his agent think. The Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens took cornerbacks in the first round -- LSU's Patrick Peterson, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara and Colorado's Jimmy Smith, respectively. The Patriots got Dowling, the Bills Williams. The Texans traded up to get Harris. That's six fewer teams to bid on Taylor. The delay of free agency until after the draft because of the NFL lockout hurts him and all other veterans in his situation.
    2 playoff caliber teams in our Conference that just upgraded IMO their biggest defensive weaknesses in the Draft (CB) in new England and Baltimore. We drafted a guy in the first round who won't play until a vet retires or gets injured and a Tackle to hopefully help a QB who is going to have to put up his prettiest passing statistics to combat possible shoot outs against teams spreading our sorry secondary out.

...and ****it I will be pessimistic all off season about this! It will never reach RockT levels but I am certaintly concerned and I've always been the one that is never concerned about stuff lie others (never concerned about the OL when everyone and their mothers though it would get Ben killed and prevent us from reaching and/or winning a SB. Last years strange panic about Rashard Mendenhall etc...) . This however worries me because there's been a trend over the past 2 seasons where a couple teams have spread us out and really exposed us in the air defensively. Our Pass defense dropped big time last season and only showed improvement in the 2nd half of the season as we faced either weaker passing teams or ones without the personnel to spread us out.

Copy-Cat League
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#1. Can we say a collective NO **** to Ron Cooke?

#2. Lets hope that LeBeau takes a hands on approach to the secondary this season.

#3. I have faith that the hiring of Carnell Lake will do the secondary wonders!!!

Threads : 60

What Cook said is about the thick and thin of it and we all knew that as far as I'm concerened. I'm just worried about a guy like Snyder or whomever that tosses mega money at Taylor. It won't mean that is what he is worth it, will just show how someone elses stupidity can mess things up for the Steelers.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

#2. Lets hope that LeBeau takes a hands on approach to the secondary this season.

#3. I have faith that the hiring of Carnell Lake will do the secondary wonders!!!
    Why would LeBeau suddenly take a hands on approach to the secondary when he hasn't done it in the recent past despite needing it? The older Lebeau gets, the more he's taking a more hands-off approach and allowing his coordinators to coach. I hope Carnell Lake makes a big difference much like Sean Kugler did for the )-Line. I'm most skeptical about the talent that we do have in the secondary and whether it can be coached up to levels needed to beat the teams that can and will spread us out
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Why would LeBeau suddenly take a hands on approach to the secondary when he hasn't done it in the recent past despite needing it?
    Because its his job to do it.If he can't,then get someone in here who can.I certainly have no problem with that.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because its his job to do it.If he can't,then get someone in here who can.I certainly have no problem with that.
    If you have faith in Lake "doing wonders" (I also do as well), then LeBeau should be able to continue with his coaching style "as-is"... That is why there are various assistants for the various positions.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Has Carnell coached prior to this job with the Steelers ?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Not that I am aware of.... Only this....

"In the summer of 2009, Lake, along with former Steeler Greg Lloyd, was a coaching intern at the Philadelphia Eagles training camp at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA."

... I guess he'll be "cutting his teeth" with this position.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    He was UCLA's DB's coach but family issues forced him to quit after a year.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Re-signing Ike was always a priority. The point of potentially taking a corner in the first round was to pair him up with Ike Taylor and get Bryant McFadden off the field...

Threads : 20

This will be an X-factor for us, Les. CL played the game at a higher freaking level than Ray Horton. If he can translate that success to the coaching ranks, we're in like Flynn. Of course, if we don't re-sign Ike, Richard Marshall might not be such a bad alternative. Dude needs a better ****ing option than used rice carolina. At the very least, he's an upgrade over Willie or BMac.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information