Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rebuilding of the Pirates' Charlie Morton

Threads : 138

Default The rebuilding of the Pirates' Charlie Morton

This is part one of a two part series on Morton from Dejan. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did....

".....Two days later, Morton pitched a live batting practice.

Veteran first baseman Lyle Overbay was first into the box. First offering was a sinker, which suddenly had a violent drop, in part because the grip he learned from Crotta was a far better match with a three-quarters delivery. Next was a curve, which no longer went 12-to-6 on the imaginary clock, but 2-to-8, giving it twice the deception.

Overbay stepped out and said something to the coaches and players behind the cage.

Morton asked: "What are you saying?"

Overbay: "You remind me of Roy Halladay. Spitting image."

Morton: "Really?"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11123...#ixzz1LINCeIbK

Threads : 691

Default Re: The rebuilding of the Pirates' Charlie Morton

That's good stuff.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It'll be better stuff when he stops walking so many people....but I'm encouraged...hope the best for the kid!

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy Halladay huh? Well...when Morton has less BB than K we'll start talking about that
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

Benny, I have been studying your fantasy players!

Hey, Morton is improving and he's a Pirate! Here's to him continuing on his upward plane of success.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Benny, I have been studying your fantasy players!

Hey, Morton is improving and he's a Pirate! Here's to him continuing on his upward plane of success.
    Oh yeah I definitely hope that he does.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Roy Halladay huh? Well...when Morton has less BB than K we'll start talking about that
    that's what I was thinking too. I think with the BB's, it's been mroe about not decieving batters as much which sort of runs counter to some of what Dejan said or was said in the Article. I think Morton's pitches are less deceptive now as evidenced by the higher Walk rate and much lower K rate. Batters aren't fooled at all on anything that breaks out of the zone. the more comfort that Morton gets with the new grips and arm delivery the better his deception will be but right now... he's not fooling anybody and a lot of his BB's have been on a pitches that have been close. A lot of his Balls have been really close. His control doesn't really reflect his BB rate as much as the command does

but that sinker is reallty getting Roy Halladay type recognition and the more comfrotable he gwets with it and the other new mechanical and grip stuff he's incorporated this season the better his "individual" numbers are going to be..

Remember, Roy Halladay wasn't a high K/9 guy until he got into his 30's and he's only a 7-high 7's in K/9. Halladay has a low Hit rate and a low HR rate. the biggest thing for
    morton this year is he's getting far mroe Ground Balls which is what Halladay is good at. Morton has a GB% of over 60%. That is ridiculous. His HR to Fly Ball ration has gone from a terrible high of 18.1% in 2010 to a Roy Halladay-esque 8.7%.

There's a lot of what Morton is dong that can't be sustained. He's going to have to cut down on the BB's and bring up his K/9 into the high 5's at the least. His FIP numbers are really high especially compared to Roy Halladay's because Morton is right now nearly all dependent on Defense. Morton could continue to sustain a very low far better than average BABIP because of his Ground ball rates but he's goinig to have cut down the BB's and improve the K numbers
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Part 2 is a pretty good read as well. Halladay gets mentioned a lot. The type of pitcher and the delivery changes Morton and Halladay made are similar.....

"SAN DIEGO -- Charlie Morton's mouth opened, but no words came out.

It was May 27 in Cincinnati, and he had just been bombarded -- again -- for seven runs in two innings. He was summoned into the office of John Russell, then the Pirates' manager, and he sat on a couch along with pitching coach Joe Kerrigan.

"What do you want us to do, Charlie?" Kerrigan asked.

Kerrigan meant whether or not Morton wished to go to the minors, every Major League Baseball player's nightmare. And yet, Morton could not mount anything resembling a defense.

"Honestly, I was so dazed, I didn't answer the question at all."

Down the hall, longtime Cincinnati reporter Hal McCoy mentioned to Orlando Cabrera, the Reds' shortstop, that Morton now had a 9.35 ERA.

"I'm really surprised because, to me, he's the best pitcher on that staff," Cabrera said. "What is he, 1-8?"

McCoy corrected Cabrera. It was 1-9.

"That's unbelievable," Cabrera came back.

It was the worst opening 10 starts for any pitcher in the majors since 2000, when a young pitcher in Toronto struggled no less with a 10.64 ERA.

Kid named Roy Halladay......"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11124...#ixzz1LZlhrcUb

Threads : 1817

At the time of the demotion, the Pirates were 19-18 in games he did not pitch, 1-9 when he did.
    WOW

"I remember catching Charlie's games last year and thinking, 'Man, his stuff is way too good to be getting hit like this.' [HIGH-LIGHT]It's electric[/HIGH-LIGHT]. - Ryan Doumit

"Charlie's the spitting image," said Pirates first baseman Lyle Overbay, formerly Halladay's teammate in Toronto. "And, to be honest, he's got better stuff than Roy does.
    Lyle think charlie is more electric than Ryan Doumit does

"I hear people talking about his walks, and my reaction is, 'Are you serious?' " Searage said. "When he gets it, when he starts learning what to do with the sinker, with the first-pitch strikes, pounding the zone ... look out. It will. [HIGH-LIGHT]But this has only been going on since March[/HIGH-LIGHT]."
    That is really a big key. At some point this season, I expect that Charlie is going to have some tough strings of games mainly because he's still learning and adjusting to the new delivery the new improvement and effectiveness of the sinker. His pitchers are better but he now has to use them differently than he had before. Setting up, command of them. Like someone said, when he learns more how to "pitch" with his new arsenal, his BB's will go down, his K's will at least go up to an average level and the guy si going to be tough to score on... he's just has to figure out how to "pitch" with all of the newness
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Rob Neyer responds to Deajan's article:

"By Rob Neyer - National Baseball Editor

May 6, 2011 - The surprising season of Charlie Morton continues, as the Pirates' right-hander is now 3-1 with a solid 3.52 ERA. Which might not sound like much, unless you know where Morton came from. And for an idea of where Charlie Morton came from, there's no better place than Dejan Kovacevic's wonderful two-part profile..............

.......The best reason to read Kovacevic's well-written piece is that it's a really nice window into the life of a struggling professional athlete. But the other takeaways from the piece are that Charlie Morton's got incredible stuff and that he's throwing the ball like Roy Halladay ... who went through some serious struggles of his own before becoming the Roy Halladay we know and love and would hate to have to hit against.

But when Roy Halladay first returned to the majors after his humbling trip to the minors, he was 24 years old and he struck out nearly four times as many hitters as he walked.

I'm rooting for Charlie Morton. It's just how I'm wired. But if he doesn't turn his stuff into strikeouts -- or at the very least, fewer walks -- he won't be around to root for much longer."
    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/6/215...n-roy-halladay

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Rob Neyer responds to Deajan's article:

"By Rob Neyer - National Baseball Editor

May 6, 2011 - The surprising season of Charlie Morton continues, as the Pirates' right-hander is now 3-1 with a solid 3.52 ERA. Which might not sound like much, unless you know where Morton came from. And for an idea of where Charlie Morton came from, there's no better place than Dejan Kovacevic's wonderful two-part profile..............

.......The best reason to read Kovacevic's well-written piece is that it's a really nice window into the life of a struggling professional athlete. But the other takeaways from the piece are that Charlie Morton's got incredible stuff and that he's throwing the ball like Roy Halladay ... who went through some serious struggles of his own before becoming the Roy Halladay we know and love and would hate to have to hit against.

But when Roy Halladay first returned to the majors after his humbling trip to the minors, he was 24 years old and he struck out nearly four times as many hitters as he walked.
    [HIGH-LIGHT]
    I'm rooting for Charlie Morton. It's just how I'm wired. But if he doesn't turn his stuff into strikeouts -- or at the very least, fewer walks -- he won't be around to root for much longer.[/HIGH-LIGHT]"
    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/6/215...n-roy-halladay
    That.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    I'm rooting for Charlie Morton. It's just how I'm wired. But if he doesn't turn his stuff into strikeouts -- or at the very least, fewer walks -- he won't be around to root for much longer."

Charlie is now more of a groundball pitcher than a strikeout pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Charlie is now more of a groundball pitcher than a strikeout pitcher.
    He needs to be better in the K/BB department.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    He needs to be better in the K/BB department.
    Done.

Threads : 215

Morton looked good.........Overhype hit a homerun...........the catchers could be near the top of the heap..............Cedeño is actually becoming a good shortstop...........this is a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information