Thread: Potentially good news about Alderson

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Potentially good news about Alderson

[URL="http://http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/549970/Alderson-regroups-for-good-start-to-season.html?nav=727"[/URL]

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Potentially good news about Alderson

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a good start and it';s nice to see his velocity up 2 MPH from "awful" to "not good enough" but he's also pitching out of the Pen. The BP is said to add velocity and all of his excellent numbers this year are pitching out of the BP.

Color me more optimistic when he's doing this with consistency as a Starter and then improving that velocity to the low 90's.... as a starter
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 0

That's pretty cool. He was all but written off as a prospect after last season, and while he's just pitching relief now, it's still much more promising than he was since we traded for him. Still like to see his velocity get back up to where it should be. Still a young guy, we still have time to turn him around.

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's pretty cool. He was all but written off as a prospect after last season, and while he's just pitching relief now, it's still much more promising than he was since we traded for him. Still like to see his velocity get back up to where it should be. Still a young guy, we still have time to turn him around.
    Thats what worries me about him. All of the positives are as a Reliever when all of the damage was being done as a Starter. I'd really like to see this continue as a Starter. He's still sort of written off as a prospect/starter until he shows this sort of improvement as a Starting Pitcher which I really hope that he can do.

didn't they really work on changing some of his mechanics even mroe for this season outside of going to long toss arm strength building this offseason?

Threads : 36

I think he was working with his old HS pitching coach to go back to his old mechanics, that plus long toss. He would need pin point control and great off speed stuff to succeed with a high 80 fastball. It can be done, but it isn't likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    I think he was working with his old HS pitching coach to go back to his old mechanics, that plus long toss. He would need pin point control and great off speed stuff to succeed with a high 80 fastball. It can be done, but it isn't likely.
    I remember reading about both of those this offseason.. him meeting with his old HS coach and then doing the long toss although i dont remember if that was for endurance or to improve velocity. If it was to improve velocity, like I was saying, I'd like to see where he sits Sitting. Relief pitching usually adds a little velocity so I'd be curious to see if his velocity has actually improved any as a starter or if this slight 2 mph. improvement was the result of pitching out of the pen?

Threads : 94

Another clean inning today for Alderson...he needs to start getting stretched out to see if he handle more of a workload.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Another clean inning today for Alderson...he needs to start getting stretched out to see if he handle more of a workload.
    Definitely.

I cant help but reserved about the positives from Alderson right now with just a 2mph increase on what was awful velocity to begin with and overall good numbers throwing in the Bullpen. Good start, but would like to see it translate as a Starter or as yo said, stretched out from the BP more

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Definitely.

I cant help but reserved about the positives from Alderson right now with just a 2mph increase on what was awful velocity to begin with and overall good numbers throwing in the Bullpen. Good start, but would like to see it translate as a Starter or as yo said, stretched out from the BP more
    He's far from a finished product but seeing him in ST he is light years better this year than last.

He's far from a finished product but seeing him in ST he is light years better this year than last.
    Well it's defintely not based on his velocity, so are his mechanics a little more fluid after having them changed and adjusting to them? The release more consistent? I remember reading that his release point was all over the place, but there was figuring that it was due to the mechanical changes and lack of comfort with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Well it's defintely not based on his velocity, so are his mechanics a little more fluid after having them changed and adjusting to them? The release more consistent? I remember reading that his release point was all over the place, but there was figuring that it was due to the mechanical changes and lack of comfort with them?
    It's based partly on velocity...he was throwing 83-85 last spring this spring he was up to 88-89 occasionally 90. His control is much better this year. He looks to have more confidence and he has smoothed out his delivery somewhat. The most visable difference is the results.

It's based partly on velocity...he was throwing 83-85 last spring this spring he was up to 88-89 occasionally 90. His control is much better this year. He looks to have more confidence and he has smoothed out his delivery somewhat. The most visable difference is the results.
    More confidence like you said has to help but confidence can come and go... that delivery though, I know it's gotten a lot of work but never saw it from beginning to end. like, what did it look like when he got here, during the struggles and now. As you said, if it's a smoother delivery that could help, maybe it's making his release a little more consistent, getting rid of shoulder and head movement that can tip batters off? Have you seen anything with regards to any of that or was it just an overall "ease" of his entire windup? He had that weird little hitch in his leg kick right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information