Thread: Ike Taylor Wants To Remain A Steeler

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ike Taylor Wants To Remain A Steeler

Ike Taylor Wants To Remain A Steeler
    May 10, 2011 6:45 PM
    By Jory Rand

ORLANDO, Fla. (KDKA) — One of the Steelers biggest priorities in this year’s draft was at the cornerback position.

Kevin Colbert dedicated his third and fourth round picks both to corners and said he was operating under the assumption that long time Steeler Ike Taylor would not be back.

Taylor is an unrestricted free agent and until the lockout ends, he cannot talk with any team, the Steelers included. So KDKA-TV went down to Florida where Taylor spends his off-seasons working out to see if Ike wanted to be back in Pittsburgh once football resumes.

“For sure I would love to retire as a Steeler,” Taylor said. “I ain’t just saying this to be saying this. Like I would love to retire (as a Steeler), but we’ll see how they feel about me. They know how I feel about the city of Pittsburgh. They know how I feel about the organization. We’ll see how they feel about me.”

When asked about his relationship with Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney, it was clear this was no ordinary (former) owner/player relationship.

The remainder of the article and video can be found here -

http://burgh.us/4rh

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ike Taylor Wants To Remain A Steeler

And Sweetchuck want's Ike Taylor to remain a Steeler.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 60

That goes double for me SC

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor on:

If he's expecting the Steelers to take care of him for restructuring his contract twice since 2006:

"They don't have to show me nothing. That's part of the business. You do things to be a good Samaritan, but at the end of the day it's a definite business and whatever happens, happens."

Whether he's pondered the possibility that he may not return to the Steelers:

"I can't even see that far. I'm taking that one step at a time. My vision's blurred when it comes down to that."

His love of playing for the Steelers:

"I've been in Pittsburgh longer than any other city since I was born. You're going to find a Steelers fan at some bar, some mall, some college (anywhere). As a professional player, you thrive off that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_736845.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't they all say they want to remain with their current teams and then play the press about how much they love that city, and it's fans during contract negotiations?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't they all say they want to remain with their current teams and then play the press about how much they love that city, and it's fans during contract negotiations?

Yeah, you got that right. I listened to his interview yesterday on the fan radio show. He talks out of both sides of his mouth in a way. I'm sure he would like to stay as a player for all the obvious reasons but, he did mention he has come full circle with winning Super Bowls. He then mentioned wanting to be paid for the shut down corner that he is. He also mentioned he isn't bothered that he does not make a lot of interceptions because, he does his job and he shuts down the receivers. He is very hard to understand when he speaks so, I think this is about what he said.

I do agree that Ike is a shut down corner and I will take that over a guy that is in the middle of the road of catching interceptions but, allowing more passes to be completed.

Remember Washington and Scott ? They had IMO more interceptions than Ike but, they also allowed every pass practically to be completed and especially all the up front stuff they gave away.

I want Ike resigned, this team needs him.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scott Brown's blog, "View From The Press Box"....

Look for Taylor to re-sign when the times comes
    May 12th, 2011

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. –- Here is why Ike Taylor will re-sign with the Steelers once NFL business resumes and he hits the open market as an unrestricted free agent: the veteran cornerback is not going to hold a gun to their head, even though he could, and the Steelers are too smart to try and lowball him.

I had a chance to catch up with Taylor, along with linebacker James Farrior and cornerback William Gay, following a workout with renowned performance coach Tom Shaw at Disney’s Wide World of Sports. And the vibe I got from Taylor is he is going to give the Steelers every opportunity to re-sign him once the lockout is over.

“I’ve been in Pittsburgh longer than any other city since I was born,” said Taylor, who celebrated his 31st birthday last week. “That’s home to me. Steelers Nation is crazy. You’re going to find a Steelers fan at some bar, some mall, some college (anywhere). As a professional player you thrive off that.”

And, Taylor said of the Steelers’ organization, “I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page. The ball’s in their court.”

Yes, it is, and the Steelers cannot afford to drop it.

Taylor is a legitimate No. 1 cornerback in the NFL, and a position at which the Steelers are already suspect will be significantly weakened if he signs elsewhere.

The Steelers can’t expect anything out of the two cornerbacks they just drafted. The same can probably be said of Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler though each has to take a significant step forward this season. Bryant McFadden is serviceable at best and Gay is best suited to play nickelback.

Am I missing anybody?

We know the Steelers aren’t going to break the bank the sign Nnamdi Asomugha, the top cornerback in this year’s free agent class, and no other available cornerback offers more value to them than Taylor.

Farrior said that he has never seen Taylor play better than the latter did last season. And there is no reason to think Taylor doesn’t have five more good years in him considering how remarkably free of injury he has been to this point in his career.

Taylor is father-son close to Dan Rooney but that is not why the Steelers will ante up when the time comes: it makes all the sense in the world to bring him back, and the organization didn’t win six Super Bowls by making foolish personnel decisions.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 197

I heard Taylor on with Jim Rome this afternoon. He said he likes Pittsburgh and would love to stay, but if they aren't willing to make the best offer he'll tell them no hard feelings and walk. He also noted that the Steelers typically don't wait for free agency if they plan on giving a guy a big deal. When last year went by without a contract he had his doubts about his future here.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I heard Taylor on with Jim Rome this afternoon. He said he likes Pittsburgh and would love to stay, but if they aren't willing to make the best offer he'll tell them no hard feelings and walk. He also noted that the Steelers typically don't wait for free agency if they plan on giving a guy a big deal. When last year went by without a contract he had his doubts about his future here.
    Cornerback Ike Taylor is scheduled to be a free agent when the lockout ends, but he made clear on the Jim Rome is Burning show that [HIGH-LIGHT]there won’t be a hometown discount[/HIGH-LIGHT].

“[HIGH-LIGHT]I need that market value. I work so hard,” Taylor said. “I’ve been through so much[/HIGH-LIGHT], what the hell has he been through...only thing that's been through is "balls through his hands"

[HIGH-LIGHT]I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position[/HIGH-LIGHT],[HIGH-LIGHT] I feel like it’s my time to get my worth, in whatever city that’s in.”[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    As for staying with the Steelers, he said, “I would love to, but they usually sign player a year before (free agency), so we’ll see what happens.”

Another position coach wants another one of his players back. Carnell Lake, the Steelers’ former Pro Bowl safety in his first season as their secondary coach, wants to see them re-sign CB Ike Taylor.

“I hope we get him signed. I think Ike is probably one of the more [HIGH-LIGHT]underrated [/HIGH-LIGHT]cornerbacks in the league. He does a very good job of duck and run, and that’s a rare talent.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...s-2011-nfl-pit

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Kevin Colbert dedicated his third and fourth round picks both to corners and said he was operating under the assumption that long time Steeler Ike Taylor would not be back
    If this is the Steelers "answer" for having zero even decent starting CB's on the roster, we're screwed. Unless opposing Offensive Coordinators are going to Bruce Arians' coordinator school right now, they will have QBs dropping back and firing quickly and spreading 4+ wide form shotgun on the Steelers all day long. Woodley and Harrison would be useless without average at worst secondary coverage
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It sure doesn't help that the Raiders signed a less than stellar corner to high dollar deal with a $11 million signing bonus during that small period of time when that judge struck down the lock-out.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information